A stolen idea.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What sort of stuff is on the video?
Very sorry to hear about your wife. I hope things get better.
His brewing set up and how he brews,from 1990 to present day. As I said he is 85 now and he has a tall conical fermenter which he has to climb a step ladder to put the yeast in. The last part would be of interest to you, the Beer Engine and attaching the captured co2 to the cask breather. Castigated by CAMRA for suggesting such a thing and now CAMRA are thinking of initiating it!

His brewing set up and how he brews,from 1990 to present day. As I said he is 85 now and he has a tall conical fermenter which he has to climb a step ladder to put the yeast in. The last part would be of interest to you, the Beer Engine and attaching the captured co2 to the cask breather. Castigated by CAMRA for suggesting such a thing and now CAMRA are thinking of initiating it!
I’d be very interested in having a look at it.

I haven't seen the video, but if he uses some sort of yeast nutrient and a decent volume, there's absolutely no problem with pre warming at all.
Talking about autolysis in this amount of time is tosh when the yeast cell cycle is roughly 1 hr 20 mins.

The manufacturer recommended guidelines are purely lowest common denominator for the average brewer - many of whom can't control temperature and are more likely to cook the yeast in the process.. hence, toss in the cooled wort.

The end result will be the same though for preculture vs direct pitch, you'll likely end up with the same number of yeast cells when fermentation peters out.

I'm a lazy arse who works with yeast sachets, and I sprinkle that in rather than pre culture (and I have a 50cm X 25cm Ratek controlled temp heat tray modified with stirrers. http://www.ratek.com.au/products/WT1-Medium-Analogue-Warming-Tray.html having that at my disposal and not using it.... The height of laziness.

It isn't unique to put the yeast on the grain be,d I noticed Professor Nguyen on his brewing demo did the same thing.

Most people wouldn't think twice about taking their supermarket purchased block of bakers yeast out of the fridge and plonking it into some sugar and water or milk, and then warming it up.

Nothing wrong with warming up the yeast before its put to work, doesn't matter where you do it, I have a stir plate to warm mine.

Back