A Scottish light feedback please?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Runk

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm getting a bit bored with my apa's and ipa's and was after a low alc session beer that doesn't taste like a watered down ale.

SWMBO tried a bit of the yeastie boys Hud-a-wa' strong and loved it to my supprise so i am VERY loosely basing the recipe around that. We're not lovers of very dark beers as a general rule but a hud-a-wa style with a low SG seems like it'd fit the bill?

What do you think? sessionable (without getting sick of it?)

Any and all feedback would be great. Cheers!

ScotchBrite
Scottish Light 70/-

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 50.0
Total Grain (kg): 9.031
Total Hops (g): 75.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.035 (°P): 8.8
Final Gravity (FG): 1.010 (°P): 2.6
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 3.30 %
Colour (SRM): 14.3 (EBC): 28.2
Bitterness (IBU): 24.0 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 62
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
7.225 kg Pale Ale Malt (80%)
0.903 kg Munich I (10%)
0.632 kg Crystal 60 (7%)
0.271 kg Chocolate (3%)

Hop Bill
----------------
25.0 g Galaxy Pellet (13.4% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/L)
10.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (4.7% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 g/L)
20.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (4.7% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.4 g/L)
20.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (4.7% Alpha) @ 1 Minutes (Boil) (0.4 g/L)

Single step Infusion at 69°C for 75 Minutes.
Fermented at 19°C with Safale S-04

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Dunno about that early galaxy mate...

Quite a lot of Crystal as well, you may find S04 will finish high anyway.. Frikkin lazy ******* it is

early Galaxy was purely to get the IBU's. Being high AA i assumed it'd be more economic without adding much flavour if at all.

do you think the galaxy would impart much flavor @60mins?

should i drop the crystal 60 in half? or use 05 to get it lower? i was going with 04 to leave a bit of oomph in it.

thanks for the input!

Many people report galaxy as being harsh for bittering.. If you can manage it, get hold of some 1728 yeast or look up a substitute for it..

I'd certainly be going 300g Crystal max.. You are mashing reasonably high and will get sweetness from that and I'm not sure you need it for colour with the .27 chocolate going in

Where is the recipe from?

As a Scottish, the hops are to much.

Scotchish ale tend to be light on bitterness and late hops ( some only having bitternesss )

I used to just use 1 addition of EKG at 60mins.
Bit of carsaroma and carared go well in Scotish.

Get it right and it will be great

Thanks Yob taking it all on board.
I have some NB, halertau, magnum, cascade,citra so might try NB for smoother bittering. I have always used Galaxy for my bittering (oops) so will give that a rest for a while and see how my brews change.

I actually have a redhill scotch ale yeast i have harvested i might build up which i was told is 1728. Will see if time permits.

wasn't sure about mash temps. getting paranoid about it coming in without enough body being so light perhaps?

came up with the recipe myself after looking around (hence asking for your opinions)
inspiration - http://www.yeastieboys.co.nz/beer/hud-a-wa-strong/ (accept the recipe mutated into a sort of scotch light so that's the style i put it into) i also loved the redhill scotch.

thanks Ducatiboy,

To be honest i probably should have picked another style though it kind of didn't fit any i knew of. (light dark apa?) :)

As i said i loved the redhill scotch and the yeastieboys Hud-a-wa' strong but both too high abv for a sessionable. I love hops though havent used EKG before so my additions have probably thrown this recipe way off style as you say.

I guess what i should be asking is will this be any good and well balanced? I'm after a little on the hoppy side full bodied very slightly sweet low abv beer?

shit now i read my last sentence i may be asking a bit much..At least i'm thinking now i guess?!

cheers again.

I really like this style. My last 60 went down very well and was heavily based on a JZ recipe. There's too many hop heavy and bland malt beers ATM
My 60 was;
GP 60% caraamber 15% munich2 7.5 % Vienna 7.5% caraaroma 7.5% choc 1% and roast wheat .5%. OG 1033 down to 1010 with SO4 and mashed at 69C.
As I think others have pointed out, your bitterness seems too much, my recipe above was a mere 13 IBUs

If you look at the beer he's emulating, you'll see it's hop forward - not a bjcp scottish type.

Beginning to wonder if I should stick to style?

Can anyone tell me if it'll be balanced if I half the crystal ferment with 05 and drop ibu by 4 points?

Or should I not reinvent the wheel and stay "in style"?

The beer that inspired you is not 'to style' so I see no reason you should. While I am a fan of classic/historical/traditional styles and ingredients and believe it's a great way to learn to brew well, you haven't come at this from a place of wanting a stylistically 'accurate' scottish ale.

Why not go their hop combo and their percentage of malt but drop the gravity? Mash high and short to get some body while reducing the overall alc. content.

Thanks Mantacle,

Leaving styles behind i've taken your advise and changed it up a little -

cut the crystal down by more than half
dropped the chocolate down a little to lighten it slightly

Tried to mimic the hops used by yeastie boys with what is available to me. (looked up hop substitutions) Also dropeed ibu's a bit.

They state / I Sub

Nelson Savin / Citra
Styrian Goldings / EKG
NZ Cascade / Cascade
Pacifica / Halertau

Assuming these hops work together I have ordered them in the boil as per recipe below. Totally different than anything i've brewed before but i'm up for a change. I'm not sure about my order in the boil and searching for hop combo's is needle in a haystack stuff.

Also gone to us-05 as i have some slurry from a batch i racked on the weekend.

All goes well i'll be cooking tomorrow night.

Thanks for all your help, any other comments (very)welcome

"ScotchBrite" The not so Scotch!

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 50.0
Total Grain (kg): 8.971
Total Hops (g): 110.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.035 (°P): 8.8
Final Gravity (FG): 1.009 (°P): 2.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 3.44 %
Colour (SRM): 10.8 (EBC): 21.3
Bitterness (IBU): 20.8 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 62
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
7.626 kg Pale Ale Malt (85%)
0.897 kg Munich I (10%)
0.269 kg Crystal 60 (3%)
0.179 kg Chocolate (2%)

Hop Bill
----------------
35.0 g Hallertau Tradition Pellet (5.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
25.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (4.7% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/L)
25.0 g Cascade Pellet (7.8% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/L)
25.0 g Citra Pellet (11.1% Alpha) @ 1 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/L)

Single step Infusion at 69°C for 75 Minutes.
Fermented at 19°C with Safale US-05

Latest posts

Back