A Question For Biab Gurus Out There...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roddersf

Reaction score
Hi all,

Ive got a question(s) for BIAB guru's out there:

Has anyone asked a manufacturer of swiss voile about whether the material (PET I think) will leech nasties at mashing temps? I know that plastic PET bottles are usually heated with boiling water when reused in commercial circumstances, but the manufacturers of swiss voile would not be under any obligations to make sure that the material is food safe (usually bought in the curtains section if I'm not mistaken).

With that in mind, I understand that the melting temp of PET is high, so likewise, has anyone asked a manufacturer if swiss voile behaves in the same way that a pet bottle would in a pot/"food environment"?

Apologies if this has been answered somewhere else, but I cant seem to find it if it has.

Many thanks in advance! :icon_cheers:

Rodders.

Is Swiss Voile PET?

I know for a fact that PET bottles won't handle higher than about 75C, or they start to melt. Voile takes 100C easily with no degradation.

Is Swiss Voile PET?

I know for a fact that PET bottles won't handle higher than about 75C, or they start to melt. Voile takes 100C easily with no degradation.

Maybe I'm wrong but I was under the impression that it was PET.

did the manufacturer tell you this Nick or is that through experience?

Cheers.

experience tells me that if i try to clean my coopers PET bottles with boiling water they shrivel up, lol!

experience tells me that if i try to clean my coopers PET bottles with boiling water they shrivel up, lol!

Interesting - according to wikipedia PET melting point is about 280C but maybe the plastic itself just becomes more flexible at boiling (just guessing)?

Husky - have you noticed any weird smells (I take it you havent tasted the water ;) )

Swiss voile or any other polyester curtain material is certainly not made by the manufacturer to be food safe... However the material is 100% polyester.... And polyester is indeed used in quite a few higher temperature food applications, usually as a filter cloth I think.

So while that's not the same as being made for purpose.. It'll do me in a pinch. You'll have to do your own research and make up your own mind.

Swiss voile or any other polyester curtain material is certainly not made by the manufacturer to be food safe... However the material is 100% polyester.... And polyester is indeed used in quite a few higher temperature food applications, usually as a filter cloth I think.

So while that's not the same as being made for purpose.. It'll do me in a pinch. You'll have to do your own research and make up your own mind.

Thanks thirsty - after a little bit of research I found that there are several "versions" of Polyester - at least 10 if not more.

From what I've seen PET type polyester is the only food grade version there is, so the tag "100% polyester" might not necessarily mean 100% PET.

ED:
Nick JD said:

Nick's reply points to a different type of Polyester being used.

There might be some Aussie regulations about fire resistance in curtain fabrics, this might push manufacturers to choose a certain type of Polyester??

Thirsty - do you know if the polyester filter cloth was used for food production? All I found were filters for oil and air, and they seem to have been treated with other chemicals.

I want to make sure its 100% food safe, considering I BIAB quite a lot and am "one of those people" that gets a wee bit concerned if I dont know for sure.

Cheers.

Thanks thirsty - after a little bit of research I found that there are several "versions" of Polyester - at least 10 if not more.

From what I've seen PET type polyester is the only food grade version there is, so the tag "100% polyester" might not necessarily mean 100% PET.

ED:

Nick's reply points to a different type of Polyester being used.

There might be some Aussie regulations about fire resistance in curtain fabrics, this might push manufacturers to choose a certain type of Polyester??

Thirsty - do you know if the polyester filter cloth was used for food production? All I found were filters for oil and air, and they seem to have been treated with other chemicals.

I want to make sure its 100% food safe, considering I BIAB quite a lot and am "one of those people" that gets a wee bit concerned if I dont know for sure.

Cheers.

If youre extremely worried about it and are willing to fork out some extra cash you can get proper wine straining bags which are designed for making wine in a few home brew shops in NZ, I have used mine now for over 70 brews and its still going strong!

www.brewerscoop.co.nz

www.haurakihomebrew.co.nz

Thanks for the suggestion reviled - I already use cotton muslin for BIAB and it works a treat. I want to give swiss voile a try though but want a bit more info on its food safety.

Chefs (even the master Types) have been using Mulin foir over 50 years to boil food up in. So I think they have been the Guinea Pigs for BIAB.

Chefs (even the master Types) have been using Mulin foir over 50 years to boil food up in. So I think they have been the Guinea Pigs for BIAB.

Yar tis' true - though for some reason the BIAB legends recommend staying away from it.

I put this question to Spotlight about swiss voile (in regard to what Polyester it is and its food safety) - I'll post their reply.

Hi there rodders! Sorry about the delay in my replying to your request to post here. (I get there in the end ;))

Firstly, great post reviled - can you post up pics/info on your wine baq material? Sounds interesting.

rodders, after reading your other post here I wouldn't be hurrying towards the polyester as you seem to be having no problems with the muslin - all sounds great. Like reviled's wine bag material, I am keen to hear of more brewers having success with other materials, especially natural ones as mentioned in my response to your post.

As for polyester being a worry in brewing, I am not worried about it. I researched the melting point a while ago (can't find the posts even after searching sorry) and recall it has a melting point of well over 250 C. Smelling the material also results in no "plastic" smells such as you will get when inhaling through many hoses commonly used in home brewing.

You and apd have had success BIABing with muslin. I think this should be investigated more especially as you have had your material going for a heap of brews - good on you! As for the polyester being a worry, I think it is very, very unlikely. Non-silicone transfer hoses would be my major area of concern.

Once again, great to hear of your positive muslin experience rodders.

Spot!
Pat

P.S. The BIAB legend recommends staying away from muslin for the reasons, which may well be incorrect, written in this post.

Latest posts

Back