A nod to Crankshaft

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure he means 0.4 bar of over pressure, which if we look at it is 101.3*0.4 kPa or 0.25325kPa
From P=Ro*g*h 0.25325=1*9.81*h Where Ro is the density of water, g acceleration due to gravity h is head in Meters.
0.25325/9.84= h =0.258m or call it 260mm of what, about what you get from sticking a hose into 1/2 a bucket of water. Hardly pressure fermentation as its talked about around here.

I disagree on the notion that Campden is much other than Na or K Met (mostly Potassium) there might be a touch of Lactose added as a die lubricant (pretty common in tablet pressing) , they are just a convenient way to measure out small amounts of Met without high end scales.
Mark

0.4 bar of pressure over atmosphere, and its around 5PSI. No need to try and do some convoluted equation, I just used google. Much easier.

Campden tablets contain on average 0.44g of kmeta and weigh anywhere from 0.5 to 0.7g depending on brand and other variables.

I personally find an accurate scale and pyre kmeta easier to work with then eyeballing tablets but do what works for you.

So after some reading I'm interested in using k met to scrub oxygen.
Am I better off just bying straight potassium metabisulfite or is adding half a campden tablet to a keg of water fine.
Also what's the opinion on adding one of the above to the finished beer at packaging instead?

I disagree on the notion that Campden is much other than Na or K Met (mostly Potassium) there might be a touch of Lactose added as a die lubricant (pretty common in tablet pressing) , they are just a convenient way to measure out small amounts of Met without high end scales.
Mark
Given how cheap SMB/KMB are in bulk ($10 a kg), any reason not to just measure an accurate, say, 1.0g (which doesn't need insanely precise scales), then dilute in x water and use a syringe to put y mL of solution in, and discard the rest?

Sure what ever works, just remember that as a solution it is unstable, as you said make it, use what you need, and toss the rest.
Half a Campden tablet is like 5 cents, takes a lot of 5c to pay for a scale that you would trust. Absolutely not a problem either way and doing what works best for you is the obvious call.
Personally I would be hard pressed to justify making the decision either way based on dollar$, whether it costs 5 cents, or I saved 3cents by mucking around weighing our stinky powder that makes my eyes water and nose run, isn't something that's going to get me too excited.
I have a carbon filter so its moot, 50% for brewing and 50% because I like the taste of filtered water in the fridge and the coffee maker, so I haven't got to muck around with it any more. I think over a couple of decades I have picked up a bit of a chemical sensitivity to SO2 and these days avoid it where I can.

Seriously unimportant how you choose to get rid of Cl, getting rid of it will help you make better beer.
For all those brewers who have a pleated filter you can get a Duel Cartridge, Particulate and Carbon in the one filter, last one I got was less than $20 at the big green shed, bit of creative plumbing and you would have a water filter that should last a year or more for brewing, you still have your pleated filter for beer if you are so inclined.
Mark

Sorry nothing to do with the lose of flavour, but I notice there is no Ekuanot hops in your Crankshaft.
I have made this beer many times and have found the flavour profile to be spot on.
Have you tried your recipe side by side?

Sorry nothing to do with the lose of flavour, but I notice there is no Ekuanot hops in your Crankshaft.
I have made this beer many times and have found the flavour profile to be spot on.
Have you tried your recipe side by side?
I couldn't find much info for a recipe so I just through it together and instead of calling it a clone I called it a nod to😉.
Would love your recipe if your up for sharing

Sorry it took me so long to reply.
Here is the receipe I use.

Attachments

• Web capture_7-2-2021_93953_web.brewfather.app.jpeg
    Web capture_7-2-2021_93953_web.brewfather.app.jpeg
    98.4 KB · Views: 161
Yeah it's fine to add it before hand. 1/2 tab is probably overkill for a 5 gal batch. I add 0.15g the reaction with chlorine and chloramine is almost instantaneous so there is no issue adding it before mashing.

I personally add my kmeta and salts and lactic acid when the water is cold. Bear in mind acidulated malt is hit and miss in terms of strength and that lactic acid is more repeatable but that's just my opinion. Acidulated malt is really just normal malt eith lactic acid on it so they are very similar.

Also, if you do go with lactic acid always add it when the water is cold as adding it when water is hot will reduce it's effect.
Would you say 300mg (0.3g) is to much, I based that on the so called recommendation of 9mg to a litre this being 33 litres

I did a little looking in the Grainfather app Library, as shown in Tim's screengrab and Skillz original recipe.

Found 2 more, they both have the Ekuanot included but he Hoppydaze version has a simple grain bill. Think I'll give it a bash.

Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 11.04.41 am.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 11.04.50 am.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 11.03.24 am.png

Like the looks of the camshaft recipe but I think there is a later dry hop addition past day 1, maybe day 7 and a third of that day 1 hop addition stays and 2/3 at day 7

Last edited:
Back