A nod to Crankshaft

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

philrob

Staff member
Moderating
Reaction score
0.4 bar?
I doubt they ferment under a partial vacuum.

MHB

Reaction score
I'm sure he means 0.4 bar of over pressure, which if we look at it is 101.3*0.4 kPa or 0.25325kPa
From P=Ro*g*h 0.25325=1*9.81*h Where Ro is the density of water, g acceleration due to gravity h is head in Meters.
0.25325/9.84= h =0.258m or call it 260mm of what, about what you get from sticking a hose into 1/2 a bucket of water. Hardly pressure fermentation as its talked about around here.

I disagree on the notion that Campden is much other than Na or K Met (mostly Potassium) there might be a touch of Lactose added as a die lubricant (pretty common in tablet pressing) , they are just a convenient way to measure out small amounts of Met without high end scales.
Mark

kadmium

Pro
Pro
Reaction score
0.4 bar of pressure over atmosphere, and its around 5PSI. No need to try and do some convoluted equation, I just used google. Much easier.

Campden tablets contain on average 0.44g of kmeta and weigh anywhere from 0.5 to 0.7g depending on brand and other variables.

I personally find an accurate scale and pyre kmeta easier to work with then eyeballing tablets but do what works for you.

Skillz

Reaction score
So after some reading I'm interested in using k met to scrub oxygen.
Am I better off just bying straight potassium metabisulfite or is adding half a campden tablet to a keg of water fine.
Also what's the opinion on adding one of the above to the finished beer at packaging instead?

BrewLizard

Pro
Pro
Reaction score
I disagree on the notion that Campden is much other than Na or K Met (mostly Potassium) there might be a touch of Lactose added as a die lubricant (pretty common in tablet pressing) , they are just a convenient way to measure out small amounts of Met without high end scales.
Mark
Given how cheap SMB/KMB are in bulk ($10 a kg), any reason not to just measure an accurate, say, 1.0g (which doesn't need insanely precise scales), then dilute in x water and use a syringe to put y mL of solution in, and discard the rest?

MHB

Reaction score
Sure what ever works, just remember that as a solution it is unstable, as you said make it, use what you need, and toss the rest.
Half a Campden tablet is like 5 cents, takes a lot of 5c to pay for a scale that you would trust. Absolutely not a problem either way and doing what works best for you is the obvious call.
Personally I would be hard pressed to justify making the decision either way based on dollar$, whether it costs 5 cents, or I saved 3cents by mucking around weighing our stinky powder that makes my eyes water and nose run, isn't something that's going to get me too excited.
I have a carbon filter so its moot, 50% for brewing and 50% because I like the taste of filtered water in the fridge and the coffee maker, so I haven't got to muck around with it any more. I think over a couple of decades I have picked up a bit of a chemical sensitivity to SO2 and these days avoid it where I can.

Seriously unimportant how you choose to get rid of Cl, getting rid of it will help you make better beer.
For all those brewers who have a pleated filter you can get a Duel Cartridge, Particulate and Carbon in the one filter, last one I got was less than $20 at the big green shed, bit of creative plumbing and you would have a water filter that should last a year or more for brewing, you still have your pleated filter for beer if you are so inclined.
Mark

Tim Smith

Reaction score
Sorry nothing to do with the lose of flavour, but I notice there is no Ekuanot hops in your Crankshaft.
I have made this beer many times and have found the flavour profile to be spot on.
Have you tried your recipe side by side?

Skillz

Reaction score
Sorry nothing to do with the lose of flavour, but I notice there is no Ekuanot hops in your Crankshaft.
I have made this beer many times and have found the flavour profile to be spot on.
Have you tried your recipe side by side?
I couldn't find much info for a recipe so I just through it together and instead of calling it a clone I called it a nod to😉.
Would love your recipe if your up for sharing

Latest posts