A Mill That Anybody Could Make

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matho

The Braumiser
Reaction score
Hi all,

a little while back there was alot of talk about milling grains, what could be used or what mill to get. I advocated DIYing your own mill like i have done link, but that got me thinking that it was not fair to say that because not everyone could get access to a lathe or 2in stainless steel stock. So i set myself a challenge to make a mill using basic tools and materials, this is what i came up with a mill with a hardwood frame and rollers made of PVC piping with a shaft in the center held in with concrete.

the tools and materials used
mill_001_1.jpg

the finnished mill
mill_016_1.jpg

the crush on a 1mm gap
mill_018_1.jpg

list of materials
2.4 m of 135mm by 19mm tasmanian oak $30
4 * 6201 bearings (12mm ID 32mm OD and sealed) $2.75 each
500mm of 12mm bright steel shafting rod $18 for 6m length
1m of 8mm threaded rod $5
4 * 8mm nuts $0.35 each
255mm of 150mm hd conduit $100 for 4m length
coach screws $5

i went with such a large diameter in the belief that the rollers wouldnt need any "knerling" but found out that would only work if both rollers were driven so i had to put grooves in the driven roller so that the grain got draged thru so with that in mind i would probably go with 100mm pvc pipe that would cost alot less (i didn't by the conduit it was an off cut that i scored)

ill post a step by step instruction next week when i get more time, in the mean time others could post pics and details of there DIY mills to if they would like.

cheers matho

Good effort.

Is it powered with a crank handle or drill or motor system?

hey manticle

i used that hilti in the background to trial it out but will probably just put a hand crank on it my other mill is motorised i dont think i could be arsed motorising it as it was only a proof of concept.

cheers matho

Looking forward to the step by step. I use a Corona but the idea of making my own appeals, particularly since I'm slightly spaz (the challenge is good).

Hi all,

a little while back there was alot of talk about milling grains, what could be used or what mill to get. I advocated DIYing your own mill like i have done link, but that got me thinking that it was not fair to say that because not everyone could get access to a lathe or 2in stainless steel stock. So i set myself a challenge to make a mill using basic tools and materials, this is what i came up with a mill with a hardwood frame and rollers made of PVC piping with a shaft in the center held in with concrete.

the tools and materials used
View attachment 40123

the finnished mill
View attachment 40124

the crush on a 1mm gap
View attachment 40125

list of materials
2.4 m of 135mm by 19mm tasmanian oak $30
4 * 6201 bearings (12mm ID 32mm OD and sealed) $2.75 each
500mm of 12mm bright steel shafting rod $18 for 6m length
1m of 8mm threaded rod $5
4 * 8mm nuts $0.35 each
255mm of 150mm hd conduit $100 for 4m length
coach screws $5

i went with such a large diameter in the belief that the rollers wouldnt need any "knerling" but found out that would only work if both rollers were driven so i had to put grooves in the driven roller so that the grain got draged thru so with that in mind i would probably go with 100mm pvc pipe that would cost alot less (i didn't by the conduit it was an off cut that i scored)

ill post a step by step instruction next week when i get more time, in the mean time others could post pics and details of there DIY mills to if they would like.

cheers matho

Step by step instructions please. :beerbang:

Step 1: read where he said he'll post step by step instructions next week.

I think it just meant he was enthusiastically waiting rather than the idea he hadn't properly read the post.

pandoras box, uv on the orange conduit :D , the maitenance, the rolling pin thread, the in-sinkerator thread. Good work Matho, keep em coming.

Awesome job mate.

I like it, a project for the perfectionist agrarian Brewery!

Good work mate. I have long thought about something similar. I love the idea of a larger diameter rollers, even if you have to gear it back somehow.

How 'true' are your rollers?

I was pretty excited about the idea of making a mill reading through the prices and it looked fair cheap untill i saw the 255mm of 150mm hd conduit $100 for 4m length haha

Nice work. Does the gap fluctuate much, or did you have a trick for getting the shafts bang on centre?

the rollers were out of round by about 0.3mm which was taken down with a block of timber and sandpaper now the gap only varies by about 0.1mm between the two rollers. i made sure that the formers i used to hold the shaft whilst the concrete set were true by the way i cut them out. i had a bit of polycarbonate laying around so i used it to make the formers, i drilled a 12mm hole in it and put a bolt thru the hole and bolted it tight then a made another piece of plastic to hold a blade at the right radius. Then i put the bolt with the polycarbonate bolted to it in the drill and slowly cut a circle out. ill show how i did it with a picture when i can.

acasta, as i said i would probably go with 100mm pvc pipe that you could buy at bunnings fairly cheaply or you could get a few brewers together and make a few. If you work it out i think it comes to about $10 a roller including bearings.

hear is a big disclaimer
I'm not saying this mill is brilliant i haven't fully tested it out and i don't know how long it will last it was just an idea i had and i want to see if it would work and so far so good. I would suggest to anyone wanting to make it not to invest too much in it be resourcefull like all good homebrewers are. Im sure that you could find a plumber that would give you an offcut of storm water piping.

cheer's
steve

Great work, love seeing some DIY innovation. What's the cost on the build work out at, from your figures at the start I imagine about $50? With the conduit rollers, do you think would they form indents on the surface after a short time. If the concrete core could slip out for replacing the pipe once its no longer effective, it would still be economical for a few years if it performs as well as the ready made ones.

I have a mill on my wish list for next year but this little project makes me reconsider the options. Cheers mate for sharing your innovation.

Cool.

I was thinking about making a massive coffee grinder (me likes it fine for the bag) that accepts my router.

Your design is probably less dangerous than mine. That's a good thing - although blitzing 5kg of grain into dust in 10 seconds at 30,000rpm still sounds attractive in a masochistic way.

Great work, love seeing some DIY innovation. What's the cost on the build work out at, from your figures at the start I imagine about $50? With the conduit rollers, do you think would they form indents on the surface after a short time. If the concrete core could slip out for replacing the pipe once its no longer effective, it would still be economical for a few years if it performs as well as the ready made ones.

I have a mill on my wish list for next year but this little project makes me reconsider the options. Cheers mate for sharing your innovation.

Continuing on that note - why do you need to keep the piping after you have set the concrete? Why not remove the conduit and have a nifty set of concrete "stone" grinders? I guess there is potential for the concrete to degrade slightly at times and add a tiny amount of powder to your crushed grain, but again, this may not be the case. I have access to plenty of conduit offcuts (apprentice sparky), so if anyone in Canberra wants some, give me a yo...

Reckon I will have a crack at this myself soon.
On a similar note - has anyone used a food processor with the spinning chopping blade attachment to mill grain (for BIAB)? Cant really see why this wouldnt work, apart from potentially giving an inconsistent crush....thoughts?

Good work, love the ingenuity.
As a note, there is a conveyor supplies shop in PMQ that can supply metal rollers 4" for about 20 bucks.
A suggestion for you.

Latest posts

Back