A Mill That Anybody Could Make

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I told my grain mill to hurry up because I was near to strike temperature and she went an bitch slapped me all the way to Thursday with her arms of steel.

"Oh NO, you di'nt".

WomanB.jpg

I pity the FOOL who has to brew under these conditions.

Did Father Beer deliver his gifts early this evening Nicholas?

Father Beer is still in the Chillout room with a ClusterBomb Lager.

Currently Dr. Chuckles, in Da Haus.

Thanks for reminding me to put up my ClusterBomb Lager Recipe on the db. It's the shizzzzz izle, bruva.

I told my grain mill to hurry up because I was near to strike temperature and she went an bitch slapped me all the way to Thursday with her arms of steel.

hahahaha

bizier,jimmeh
to hold the shafts in the center when it was setting i made a former out of polycarbonate using a homemade 'tank cutter'.
basically i drilled a 12mm hole in the plastic put a 12mm bolt thru the hole and put the nut on the bolt and tightened it up, then i made up a jig that held a blade at the radius that i wanted. its just a piece of plastic with a 12mm hole drilled in it and a slot to hold the blade that was put over the bolt then the bolt was put into the drill. i then slowly started the drill and held the blade which then cut a perfect circle into the plastic with a 12mm hole in the exact center after a little while, defantly have to be patient.The concrete was just rapid set type about $5 for 20kg. i keyed the shaft with cuts in it but it wasn't enough so i have come up with the idea of drilling 4mm holes in the shaft and putting 4mm bolts thru so they can hold the shaft in the concrete.

fear and loth never really gave to much thought to that. i know that the plastisiser in soft pvc is not good for you and when you burn pvc its nasty. but alot of ridgid pvc pipe is used to carry water. your right at little pieces of pcv will come off but were talking about microscopic pieces you probably get more nasties running hot wort thru pvc tubing. Maybe ill make up a roller using 100mm gal pipe and see if i can get it to run true, will have to add more tools to the list though.

cheer's steve

Ive taken no notice of the thread and will probably not add anything interesting to it. I only checked out the image of the crack and thought "what a bloody good crack"

Brewstrong yall
meggs

An alternative pipe material to use to avoid the PVC issues is aluminium irrigation pipe, if there is some dairying or other irrigation intensive farming in your area you should be able to get some scraps from the farm suppliers for next to nix. It comes in three major diameters: 3", 4" and 5" although I'm sure that there are probably others too. Wall thickness is usually in the 2-3mm range.

To avoid having to get it knurled, maybe look at bead/grit blasting?

fear and loth never really gave to much thought to that. i know that the plastisiser in soft pvc is not good for you and when you burn pvc its nasty. but alot of ridgid pvc pipe is used to carry water. your right at little pieces of pcv will come off but were talking about microscopic pieces you probably get more nasties running hot wort thru pvc tubing. Maybe ill make up a roller using 100mm gal pipe and see if i can get it to run true, will have to add more tools to the list though.
cheer's steve
Hi matho,
I reckon your onto a good thing. And you've generate a lot of interest. If what comes out of your idea is a fit for purpose home grain crusher you can make yourself, then it will benefit a heap of brewers. I would just like to open the discussion to materials best for use, and as you said, you had not given a lot of thought to materials.

I don't have the solution for the roller. Maybe SS Ballestrading tube? If your proto type proves a concept, and there is a discussion on what materials may be best to use, whatever that is, cost aside for a moment. Then if the material had to be bought in 6m lengths or what ever, then maybe a few brewers could chip in to get the right stuff and share it.

fear_n_loath

How do you get it off without damaging the surface of the concrete?
just rub a little butter in there, it has the advantage of being food grade too

Forget that. I want my beer to get the Heart Foundation Tick.

Forget that. I want my beer to get the Heart Foundation Tick.

Rice Bran Spread should do the trick then, plus your beers would have a very unique diacetyl aroma :lol:

Taking 4.7Kg of malt down to the practice pitch this arvo to give em a roll with the big roller, need to sweep the concrete pitch first of course, that adds a bit of time, but it's easier and cheaper than making my own mill. Should I do wheat separately, will it need two rolls?

:: The big roller is steel, pitch is concrete, straw broom, so all food grade except the plastic bucket I use to transport the grain/grist, but it's only in the bucket for the 10 min trip to and from the pitch.

Screwy

Rice Bran Spread should do the trick then, plus your beers would have a very unique diacetyl aroma :lol:

Taking 4.7Kg of malt down to the practice pitch this arvo to give em a roll with the big roller, need to sweep the concrete pitch first of course, that adds a bit of time, but it's easier and cheaper than making my own mill. Should I do wheat separately, will it need two rolls?

:: The big roller is steel, pitch is concrete, straw broom, so all food grade except the plastic bucket I use to transport the grain/grist, but it's only in the bucket for the 10 min trip to and from the pitch.

Screwy

I think your on to something screwy, its free, you dont have to build anything so its safe and you get exercise at the same time the only down side is you cant do it if its raining. That then asks the question what the hell am i doing making this thing, might just give up :lol:

cheer's steve

Here's another option. stuff the food grade thing 300mm storm water drain pipe and power it with the 4.5 hp brigs and straton I have under the house

:)

cheers Steve

Screwy: If there is grain on the wicket...

ED: and thanks for the elaboration on your roller centering Matho.

100 or 150mm PVC watermain maybe? I assume its foodgrade. Dunno about the bits that may or may not come off after a bit of use.

Ohhh no ................the old "is it food grade" post.
free-sexy-smileys-947.gif
Where the hell did you find that emoticon?

Agreed!? We want answers!!!

"Oh NO, you di'nt".

WomanB.jpg

I nearly literally pissed myself :lol:

This one:
crack.jpg

or this one:

dm-joe6.jpg

Someones been busy on Google???

Yes... I have absolutely nothing useful to add... Except this IS a fantastic idea.... Once we have exact method for us dummies (speaks for oneself)

100 or 150mm PVC watermain maybe? I assume its foodgrade. Dunno about the bits that may or may not come off after a bit of use.

As someone who lays this stuff for a living I can tell you that it is food grade when used as designed but (as you point out) possibly not so when mashed.

(Although, speaking as someone without any sort of relevant scientific background, I'd presume that finding some uPVC/mPVC in your mash is probably no worse for you than mashing in a plastic esky anyway.)

Perhaps they do. But if they do they should be pointing that out so that their posts don't seem like speculation rather than hard earned knowledge.

Just saying.

Back