A First Timers Attempt At Decoction Mashing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duff

Worst Website Ever....
Reaction score
Yesterday I had a crack at decoction mashing and thought I'd take a couple of photos to show how I went about it. The grain bill was simple:

98.5% Wey. Bo. Pils
1.5% Wey. Carapils (thought I had more in stock)
NB and Czech Saaz. OG: 1.045 IBU: 31

I have read a couple of different methods (mainly time and temperature related) in decoction mashing and went with the following outline:

Dough in and hold at 55C for 30min
Pull 40% and heat to 70C, hold for 15min
Bring to boil and boil for 15min
Return to tun and hold at 64C for 30min

First thing I did was measure out 40% of the mash (3kg) and put it in the pot I was going to boil it in to get an idea of quantity.

Decoction_001.jpg

The burner I used was a camping stove that you can get for $20 and has a 7500BTU output.

Decoction_002.jpg

After the 55C rest I used a strainer to pull a fairly thick mash which was then heated while stirring to 70C and left to rest for 15min.

Decoction_004.jpg

Decoction_005.jpg

It was then bought to a boil for 15min, the little burner performed great for this purpose.

Decoction_006.jpg

At the end of the boil the mash had darkened a little and had a much richer aroma. This was added back into the tun where the temperature settled at 62C so I used my immersion heater constantly stirring which bought it up to 64C for the 30min hold.

Decoction_007.jpg

All in all, I didn't find it as intimidating as I originally thought. Hopefully I'll pick up a taste difference and if it goes well then it will probably be the norm for all my Pilsners.

This pic is of my state of the art brewery. The Pils is at the 55C rest on the left, the burner and pot ready for the decoction, my 'HLT' heating the sparge water, and the boiler with an aroma hop steep of Cascade in my SNPA clone after the boil.

Decoction_003.jpg

Cheers.

Well done Duff.
Nice little outdoor area an equipment you have.

I did my 1st partial with a single decoction 2 months ago in Kitchen.
Sorry no photo

I tasted the wort prior to bottling. Bloody Awesome. The malt really comes through and allows for more room for error with hopping.
Especially lager and Pilsner.
Cheers matti

Wll done Duff,I did a double decoction mash last monday, I just did what Beersmith said except I held it at 70c for 15min before the first boil, I hit the temps which was good :) [well close enough] the steps were 50c for 35min I hit 52c,64c for 20min I hit 65,70c for 20min hit 70, heat to 76 over 10min went to 78.Beersmith said 1.080 and I hit 1.077 <_< not too bad for my 2nd decoction but my first double decoction.
I will be mashing again in the morning but I will go back to what I know best, simple mash and batch sparge.

Just finished my own triple decoction mash an hour or so ago, and am now at the start of my 4hr boil. 5kg of Weyermann BoPils and .25kg Weyarmann Carapils. 40gms czech saaz hop plugs for 4hrs, 40gms czech saaz plugs for 2hrs and 55gms of (you guessed it) czech saaz plugs for 30mins. I hope it turns out ok, as I started the mash this morning at ~ 9am. A lot of work, but the taste will hopefully make it worthwhile.

Cheers :)

Just finished my own triple decoction mash an hour or so ago, and am now at the start of my 4hr boil. 5kg of Weyermann BoPils and .25kg Weyarmann Carapils. 40gms czech saaz hop plugs for 4hrs, 40gms czech saaz plugs for 2hrs and 55gms of (you guessed it) czech saaz plugs for 30mins. I hope it turns out ok, as I started the mash this morning at ~ 9am. A lot of work, but the taste will hopefully make it worthwhile.

wow, a 4hr boil! Can I display my ignorance in Pils making and ask why?

Sound like fun. Why such a long boil?
Matti

Got the boil figures from Ray Daniels "Designing great beers", page 248. I started with 38.5 litres of wort , with a preboil gravity of 1.035. Will be looking to boil down to ~ 22litres with FG around 1.060. I may end up diluting the wort to bring final gravity down to 1.050. BTW, I've never before had as clear or as pale wort as I have this time with the decoction mash, and the aroma is so so delicately sweet.
A while ago I did a 4 hr boil with an extract batch, 2.75kg ldme, 30gm Czech saaz pellets added at 4hr, 2hr and 30min. While it's still conditioning atm, it's flavour is fairly close to Pilsner Urquell. I'm hoping this brew comes out even closer.

I have been mashing now for many years but did my first decoction a few weeks back. I used weyerman pils as bulk never used it before. Did a one step decoction and the wort was sweet as and very malty in flavour will not be my last.
As i have a herms system i removed a guessed amount of mash(30%) and boil for at least 15mins returned to tun and used heat exchange to make up temp diff.
Looking forward to sample the final product.

quick question - How do you move the mash? Just get a big soup ladle or something and spoon it out?

quick question - How do you move the mash? Just get a big soup ladle or something and spoon it out?

small saucepan is perfect, a spoon would take too long to move...

Did my first full AG decoction on the weekend, just a single decoction from 64C to 74C with about half an hour of boiling. Great stuff, the wort tastes really good, don't know if i'd do every batch like that but you do get better efficiency (mine went from 68% to 75%, but i had a new mash tun setup). I'm thinking of a double decoction from protein, beta amylase and then to alpha amylase temps (probably about 50-62-74) for a belgian strong ale just to give that extra "oomph".

So with this you are boiling the grain and not the liquid?

Does this mean you could burn the grain on the bottom of the pot?

Keen to give this a go but have been unsure on the details before.

Cheers for the photos Duff!

There's still plenty of liquid absorbed by the grain to aid in boiling. I just made sure to keep stirring every couple of minutes to prevent scorching on the base of the pot, doing it like this was no problem. Doing it again tomorrow for a Maibock :)

Cheers.

Back