A Couple Of Biab Questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moray

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm planning on doing my first AG on Monday, I'm going to BIAB and have a couple of questions.

What shape for the bag, pillow case or sleeping bag cover ?

Also the BIAB guide says to add the grains to the water, then heat to mash temps.
could you heat the water to strike temp then add the grains as per more traditional methods ?

Cheers
Moray

Hi Moray,

I think many are using the sleeping bag cover desgin these days as it more easily fits the shape of a pot. However, if you use this shape you will need to be confident in your stiching, as it will be holding the entire weight of the wet grain when you remove the bag (which is double the original grain weight).

Disregard the bit about adding your grain to cold water and then heating to mash temp. Some people who have done this have had problems (e.g. low efficiency, burnt bags). Its fine to add grain to strike temp water.

Pillow case is easier and probably a bit stronger but as already said the other option fits a bit better. If using pillowcase style sew across each corner at the bottom to make an equilateral triangle which helps when you lift out the bag. Make sure all seams are at least double sewn. I had tabs(4) sewn onto the top to help with hanging the bag once lifted out.

| |
| |
| \ / |
------

Kind of like that if that helps :) I could email a proper drawing of how we did it if you like. I think the main issue is getting it big enough to fill the inside of your container. So if the container fits in it then you are about right.

rgds mike

Pillow case is easier and probably a bit stronger but as already said the other option fits a bit better. If using pillowcase style sew across each corner at the bottom to make an equilateral triangle which helps when you lift out the bag. Make sure all seams are at least double sewn. I had tabs(4) sewn onto the top to help with hanging the bag once lifted out.

| |
| |
| \ / |
------

Kind of like that if that helps :) I could email a proper drawing of how we did it if you like. I think the main issue is getting it big enough to fill the inside of your container. So if the container fits in it then you are about right.

rgds mike

addit My little asci obviously didn't work once posted but if you click on the reply button you should be able to see it

What shape for the bag, pillow case or sleeping bag cover ?

Or there's a third option - marble bag. This way you don't have any seams. You'll have a few folds of excess material in your mash but that doesn't matter as long as they don't prevent you from giving a good stir every now and again.

And I always have my water ready at strike temperature before I add my grain. I then wrap my pot in a camp mat and don't bother adding heat as I'm not bothered by the 2 degree drop which I get over 60 minutes.

Have a great brew, take lots of notes and don't get flustered by your first-AG stuff-ups, you'll still make good beer.

Cheers,

Rob

I must have had a different brand of marble bag :D .

In my mind:

Pillow Case - Folded over rectangle with the crease at the bottom and seams up each side.
Sleeping Bag Cover - Circular bottom with a circular seam joining it to a cylinder of sides
Marble Bag - A circle of fabric with no seams, just a drawstring around the top. Now that I think of it, this method would require the width of the fabric to be the diameter of the pot plus both sides plus a little extra. So it's probably not a practical solution after all..........but bloody good for marbles!

It's quite possible that some of my marbles were missing as I typed my original post.

Thanks for your advice guys,

I ended up going for the sleeping bag style.
My dodgy sewing held up ok with almost 10 kg of grain

And did the preheated water it seems to make more sense

cheers
Moray

Latest posts

Back