A Brown Belgian?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

On the back bloody porch!
Reaction score
Making a double batch of Trents brown porter on the weekend.....just deciding what yeast to use? I was going to go SO4 for one fermenter and possibly thinking about using some left over trub I have. I have either 500 or 530. Anyone made a brown belgian. Is it a stupid idea?
Cheers
Steve

Give it a go IMO. I once made a RIS with a Belgian yeast and it was fantastic.

Maybe split it to two fermenters?
One belgian and one straight up ale yeast.
That would be tops!

Maybe split it to two fermenters?
One belgian and one straight up ale yeast.
That would be tops!

yep - thats what I was planning SB. Thanks guys.

The recipes very simple

Mariss Otter and a dash of chocolate

Northern Brewer @ 60

Will let you know how it goes
Chers
Steve

I think you need a scientific approach to trying the two beers, for independent opinions as to how the different yeasts changed the flavour. I will be volunteering for such an arduous task.

Why not try chucking in as many different strains of yeast on hand, like some kinda caged death match to the death an see which one is victorious. :huh: :p ;)

No mate, its not a stupid idea to use a belgian yeast in it, they make great beers outta any wort!
I am currently experimenting with double batches split between 2 yeasts in 2 similar fermenters, same pitch temp, same ferment temp, etc... and even with similar yeasts the difference is sometimes night and day, so it will be great to check out how different an english and belgian yeast make the same wort.
Please let us know how it works out.
All the best
Trent

Why not try chucking in as many different strains of yeast on hand, like some kinda caged death match to the death an see which one is victorious. :huh: :p ;)

I just lol'd out loud here at work at the idea of cheering on violent yeasts as they battle to the death in a fermenter, Highlander Style!

"There can be only one"

I always do this sort of thing. I brew 40L batches and put it into 2 x 20L cubes. It gives me the ability to ferment the same batch with 2 yeasts or the same yeast at different temps.

I have got one cube of German pils fermenting at 10C with WLP800 and the other cube fermenting with French saison 3711.

I am looking forward to trying them both

Kabooby :)

Brown Belgian! Yum! :icon_drool2:

I thought this was going to be a thread about Flemish Oud Bruin ales...but this idea sounds really good! And I have a vial of WLP500 in the fridge that i've been meaning to make starters with, hmmm....

Latest posts

Back