A Brewer's Milestone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done Stu,
I considered my 100th brew pretty special, I wish my missus was keen enough to help me with a brew.

cheers

Browndog

Tony, Be carefull what you wish for... :( .... :lol:

Good one Stuster!

Sqyre.. :lol:

I considered my 100th brew pretty special, I wish my missus was keen enough to help me with a brew.

Yep, I thought it was special too. Had missed out on a couple of occasions to brew it because I couldn't decide on what to make. :lol:

I was surprised SWMBO decided to help me brew. Of course, she does like APAs so that was partly it. She's also got me to show her how to work the TV/DVD etc. Wonder if she's planning on replacing me. :unsure: :eek: :D

My missus is always keen to help with a brew.....mainly by drinking it :chug: !

Anyway, congratulations Stuster. How different was your 1st AG adventure to your 100th?

C&B
TDA

How different was your 1st AG adventure to your 100th?

So different. Milled my own grain instead of using the rough stuff from a dodgy LHBS (only joking Gerard ;) ). Used a NASA instead of numerous pots on the kitchen stove. No bathtubs full of water were harmed in the making of this beer. Had an idea of what I was doing this time. :)

Actually, now the brewing itself is very straightforward and much more relaxing for it. The first few times it was really a learning curve which is also fun, but there was also the stress of being unsure of how or if it would work out. There are sometimes some issues with my dodgy, bonj-like gear (or at least the pre-upgrade bonj) but I know it'll get done and beer will be made. But I wonder if I'll ever be as happy with a beer I make as I was with that first AG which tasted so delicious. :chug:

She's also got me to show her how to work the TV/DVD etc.

:icon_offtopic: Handing over the remotes ??? I'd rather die first! A woman's "point and press" action is not anatomically-correct enough for such a task. :lol:

Warren -

Stu, you've coined a new word.....

Bonj-like to make use of the most unlikely equipment for the most noble of purposes. :D

cheers

Browndog

Actually, now the brewing itself is very straightforward and much more relaxing for it. The first few times it was really a learning curve which is also fun, but there was also the stress of being unsure of how or if it would work out. There are sometimes some issues with my dodgy, bonj-like gear (or at least the pre-upgrade bonj) but I know it'll get done and beer will be made. But I wonder if I'll ever be as happy with a beer I make as I was with that first AG which tasted so delicious. :chug:

Great sum up Stu, I couldn't agree more with that sentiment. I have very fond memories of my first AG brewday. I had never seen the process done before. I had studied Palmer's book religiously and scribbled down a page of rough notes. Everything went surprisingly to plan, and the rest is history. But there was something very enjoyable about learning so much every brew that these days I miss a bit! Not that I'm not learning anything anymore but its different when you pretty much know what the beer's gonna taste like before you brew it.

Also an awesome idea to mark the 100th AG beer with a re-brew of your first one. I'll be doing my 100th in a few brew's time. I might just do the same thing! :beer:

Celebrated my half-century last year by brewing an oak-aged barley wine, might do something similiar for my 100th...21 to go. :eek:
...And now I've joined the centurion club!

Put down an American Barley Wine this morning/arvo.
Only a partial...leave the AG century for a few years down the track...but I had to make this a BIG beer.

Rather than bore you with the details of my ridiculously complex grain and hop bill...

We're looking at Centennial and Millenium hops, 100-110IBU, 1.120-1.130 OG.
Big starter of WLP 001 Calfornian Ale will hopefully chew its way through.
Planning on dry hopping with 3-4g/l after the primary is through.

Very tempted to oak age it...but I'm gonna restrain myself and make it hop accentuated.

...And now I've joined the centurion club!

Put down an American Barley Wine this morning/arvo.
Only a partial...leave the AG century for a few years down the track...but I had to make this a BIG beer.

Rather than bore you with the details of my ridiculously complex grain and hop bill...

We're looking at Centennial and Millenium hops, 100-110IBU, 1.120-1.130 OG.
Big starter of WLP 001 Calfornian Ale will hopefully chew its way through.
Planning on dry hopping with 3-4g/l after the primary is through.

Very tempted to oak age it...but I'm gonna restrain myself and make it hop accentuated.

Good one Muggus, looks like a memorable brew. BTW, I lived in Berowra for 30+ years before moving up the coast a bit.

cheers

Browndog

Doing my 200th AG this friday and just can't decide what to make for the special occasion, I'm leaning towards a Stones Ruination Clone.

cheers

Browndog

I'd love to do a Belgian Dark Strong Ale, but only have saaz and EKG and I am not sure they would suit.

Doing my 200th AG this friday and just can't decide what to make for the special occasion, I'm leaning towards a Stones Ruination Clone.

cheers

Browndog

I'd love to do a Belgian Dark Strong Ale, but only have saaz and EKG and I am not sure they would suit.

Go the Stones, you know you want too :) .

(You made me look, I've done 153! I'd better do something special for the 200th near Xmas.)

Well done on reaching 200 BD :super:

120 here counting brewdays and brewing for others. The count slowed after going to double batches, and production has slowed along with demand since the health check. No 2 son is living at home atm so thats helping push demand up :lol:

Cheers,

Screwy

After looking at Beersmith I brewed roughly 25 AG brews since November 2008, one thing I'll be doing in 2010 is keeping better records. In my K&K days I kept fairly decent notes, even going back to add tasting notes etc. For some reason moving to BeerSmith I stopped keeping as many notes and certainly didn't keep track of tasting dates, fermentation temps / days CC'ing etc. I'll be starting a folder to keep notes in and if I get any free time or if boredom drives me to it I'll have a go at making a web based system that everyone can use (free time, hah!).

It'll be a few more years yet to tick over the 200 mark, congrats on the milestone Tony :)

After looking at Beersmith I brewed roughly 25 AG brews since November 2008, one thing I'll be doing in 2010 is keeping better records. In my K&K days I kept fairly decent notes, even going back to add tasting notes etc. For some reason moving to BeerSmith I stopped keeping as many notes and certainly didn't keep track of tasting dates, fermentation temps / days CC'ing etc. I'll be starting a folder to keep notes in and if I get any free time or if boredom drives me to it I'll have a go at making a web based system that everyone can use (free time, hah!).

It'll be a few more years yet to tick over the 200 mark, congrats on the milestone Tony :)
Ill drop out to Westbrook after my 2 weeks of work mate and help you get to your 200th AG.. :party:

CB :icon_cheers:

I'm overwhelmed. I'm a relative virgin on 60 brews, although it's only been 13 months. Hmmm that's why I've had to buy in all that Oettinger and Melbourne Bitter. Nose to the grindstone.

Looking at earlier posts, is BrauFrau back from Europe yet?
And what are you bringing to BABBs for samples in a couple of weeks Tony?

I'm overwhelmed. I'm a relative virgin on 60 brews, although it's only been 13 months. Hmmm that's why I've had to buy in all that Oettinger and Melbourne Bitter. Nose to the grindstone.

Looking at earlier posts, is BrauFrau back from Europe yet?
And what are you bringing to BABBs for samples in a couple of weeks Tony?

Lets see Bribie, Ive got an imperial aussie dark ale, chinook amber, pacific gem/galaxy pale ale a dead guy pale ale clone (that's nothing like it but nice beer none the less) a Citra IPA that will be ready, chinese cascade APA that will be ready to choose from mate. Decisions decisions....

cheers

Browndog

cheers

Browndog

Congrats Browndog, you brew some magnificent beers.

I'm only up to All grain #47 after starting in May 2008.

I'll help you drink some of those fine beers at Babbs.

Cheers,

mossy

Worked out a short time ago that I did my 600th batch in October. Up to 605 now. First 37 where kits, extract etc. Aim to brew a batch later this week, most likely a BPA.

Worked out a short time ago that I did my 600th batch in October. Up to 605 now. First 37 where kits, extract etc. Aim to brew a batch later this week, most likely a BPA.

Wow Barry, now that's a Milestone :super:

Screwy

Back