A Beer For Schapelle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
voota said:
What was the evidence that suggests she is innocent other than her own word?
[post="61165"][/post]​

The main evidance that would have seen her set free, was her bag its self, when she went through the check in, it was weighed, and tagged with its weight, the proof is there that when she handed her bagg to the handeler it only contained her body board. the Indo police refused to weight the bag and compare it against the ticket on the bag, In there eyes, it was in her bag, she is guilty, as also said, they didnt finget print the bag, granted that would not prove that it hadent been handled by her, but would show that otheres had touched it, in fact if they realy beleved in her guilt they would have finger printed the bag to show that she had touched it.. CCTV is supposed to show the accused clearly opening the bag, this was not so. The custom official started to open the bag, then passed it to corby to open, this is a breach of security procedure, even not enough to effect the case, but it shows the lack of procedure.

THe eveidance used to convice was testimony of police and customs officials, they saisd that she was nervoice when opening the bag, and even more so when the rugs were found....well hello wouldent you shit if you opend your bag and it was full of dope. I shit my self when i walk through the mettal detectors at the airport, customs just scares the buggery out of me. If you had followed the case you would have seen all the defence evidance that proved her innocence, but, the judges had not taken this into consederation at all. Then look at the moral side of it, WHO TAKES DRUGS INTO BALI...an inteligant girl with a good family , and very large support network of friends, no financial problems...hardly the profile of a drug runner, if you have a look at the docco on the bankok hilton, all the westerners held in prison for drug running were basically down on there luck looking to make some money, they are recrutied buy scum bags the can identify people that are easily perswaded...i doubt this is the case in Corbys arrest, but thats just my oppinion, go back to the facts, the Prossercuters evidance was shallow, but allowed, the defence was strong, but dissalowed....Are there any lawers on this list, im sure they will agree that not only would Corby be aquitted here, she would also be found NOT guilty....yes there is a differance.

As far as locking your bags go, a friend of ours visited from NZ a month ago, she locked her bags and handed them in, when she arrived she saw her bag on the converer belt....locks missing, she refused to pick up her bag, and called the customes officer to come and look, lucky for her there was nothing extra in there.

Also guys remember the bloke at sydny airport that was running around the runway with the camel suit on. And as a final note, Kelty has admidded they did little to help her out immediatly because of other investigations into baggage tamering at australian airports....

Thanks for elaborating on that, although i'd debate that she came from a good family, and had a good history.

This thread has served its purpose, lets get on with brewing beer now.

good point lets brew

im brewing a Corby Ale today

ok sorry i just had to have the last word

I'm proud we live in a country were you are presumed innocent and have to be proven guilty. Though I have noted that this idea is being slowly eroded. I especially proud of the people who make this country possible, the soldiers who serve our nation and who have to know that Australia and being an Australian means something special which it does. I'm proud we are free to brew beer in our own homes how we want.
If an Australian has done something wrong (David Hicks, Bali 9 etc...) we can sort them out ourselves in our own way. We are an adult country now. If an Australian is subject to a gross injustice a proud Australia would jump to their defence. I note in conservative Maroochydore here in QLD people are putting up signs in support of Corby in their front yards and businesses. I've not seen that before. Makes you proud :beer:

Enough said sorry for the rant and I respect all opinions even if I don't agree, this is Australia :)

edit: wont to want and where to here.

Quote from Nonicman:

especially proud of the people who make this country possible, the soldiers who serve our nation and who have to know that Australia and being an Australian means something special which it does.

Thanks its nice to be recognised. I have served in Somalia '93, East Timor '00, and most recently Soloman Island '04.
Being Australian means having the integrity to stand up when something wrong is ocurring. Integrity is a code we have, one that is sadly lost in todays society.

So live your lives with conviction and ask yourselves " Would what your doing make a good 60 minutes story that could damage our country's (Army) reputation?" If so you probably shouldn't be doing it.

Thanks Champ.

I presume then as a "proud" Australian you have leapt to the defence of D. Hicks. Good on you nonicman, I hope you can bring the rest of Maroochydore with you. But then perhaps not as you appear to have already convicted him (along with the complete "Bali 9") ... oh well at least you're not on the bench ...

pbrosnan,
David Hicks has not broken any Australian laws, and would be able to walk free from any Australian court, that it is the law. He may even be elgible for damages and pain and suffering. The US has been hinting that they have offered to give David to Australia but the Government has refused.
The Bali 9 would not be walking free from a court necessarily as it appears that they have commited a crime, but nor would they be facing the death penality. Was trying to limit the extent of my rant, I could also include Tllaal Adrey an Australian facing the death penality in Kuwait. I was being overly optimistic, after going out and about the two signs I saw were the only ones all day.

Time for a homebrew.

Edit: Just in case, please note that when David joined the Taliban they were on the same side as US interests at the time, the Taliban were doing something about the vast poppy fields and a united Afghanistan provided an ideal pathway for an oil pipe line. The rest is history.

How does locking your bags help?!

Let's just assume for a sec that you get to Bali, and your bag has been tampered with. What will you do? The fact is, if there's contraband inside it you are f@cked. If you report it to the authorities, you will probably be locked up for 20 years. If you say nothing and claim your bag, you will probably be locked up for 20 years. If you leave it on the carousel, well that's 20 years too (it has your name on it remember). You get to spend the next 20 years eating nasi goreng in a cage, simply for becoming associated with the drugs. Locks nothing!

The simple fact is that there is NOTHING you can do to protect yourself from those circumstances. Going to Bali is at all is like playing Russian roulette. The odds may be better, but the downside is arguably a lot worse.

The only action you can take to protect yourself from Scappelle's fate is to take only carry-on, or not to go at all.

First they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out - because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the blacks, and I did not speak out - because I was not black.
Then they came for the gays, and I did not speak out - because I was not gay.
Then they came for me - and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Wortgames said:
The only action you can take to protect yourself from Scappelle's fate is to take only carry-on, or not to go at all.

Ill never go back there

Guilty is GUILTY

Nothing more to say, so get over it

Normell

normell said:
Guilty is GUILTY

Nothing more to say, so get over it

Normell
[post="61274"][/post]​

Im sure the thousands of people wrongly conviceted would love to argue with you, Only last week a man that had spent 20 years in jail was freed an innocent man, there are so many people inside that actually are not guilty, Again look at Rubien Carter 30 years inside because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time... Actually no he wasnt , he was a black man in a white area,

But yeah, how about the guilty that are free, thanks to corrupt lawyers
Nuf said

Normell

OK so because there are corrupt lawyers its ok to convict innocent people.......are you for real

Yes sorry I am for real.
If you are so sure that she is innocent, change places with her.
I for one rely on the judgment of other countries Judaical systems, no matter how bad they may seem.
If you don't want to do the time, don't' do the crime.

Normell

Seriously I think this is getting a bit tired and away from the purpose of the topic, some of us think she is guilty, others think she's innocent. Get over it

[/quote]
I dont want to start a debate, but if you are in another country you have to live by thier laws and accept thier punishments if you are caught breaking the law.
[/quote]

All the info that we are fed by the media indicates that the Indonesian judges did not give Schapelle Corby a fair go by (amongst other things), ruling all defence witness testimonies inadmissable. But, regardless of the woman's guilt or innocence, we've got to realise that if anyone is detained under another country's criminal code, then those laws (however flawed they may seem to us) must be respected --- if that's the word?
The Indonesians do not want drugs in their country anymore than we want them here.
Are our laws too lenient? You bet they are.
Be careful where you plan to go & what you do.

Wow
It is amazing the response this one is getting. Just a quick one on the David Hicks note, I recall watching dateline one night, and the host (last years host) was asking Phillip Ruddock about either hicks, or Mamdouh Habib. Anybody else that saw this interview may feel free to correct me if I am misquoting him, but I believe his words were (in response to a question about why not return him home to face trial in Australia) "He has done nothing wrong under Australian law, or international law, and therfore we cannot convict him of anything. If a US military tribunal feels it can convict him, then that is where he belongs" Good to see those in power here will actively sit on their hands while an innocent (under law, anyway) Aussie rots away. Pity this court case wasnt around the same time as an election, Scapelle would undoubtedly be sipping on a HB on the Goldy by now if it were. IMO anyway.
Normell, good to see that there are still those who believe in "guilty, and not allowed to prove innocence", rather than the typical "innocent until proven guilty" crowd. Keep up the good work, mate. I mean no personal insult here, I believe that Deadly said pretty much the same thing. She MAY in fact be guilty, but if she is, wouldnt a fair trial have ended up with the same verdict? A fair trial would have guarenteed no public outcry at the "guilty" verdict. If, on the off chance one of the "guilty is guilty" thinkers end up in the same predicament, I look forward to hearing them on the news telling australia to "get over it", and will see them in 20 years.
All the best to everyone, and sorry to add a second rant. I'm even worse at home!
Trent

all I can say is well done to her apparent Angel of Mercy in this whole thing, that mobile phone guy from the gold coast apparently financing her defence team (you know who he is).

one of the current affairs shows last week said he had incorporated "Shapelle Corby Pty Ltd".

what a good samaritan :rolleyes:

as for her conviction blame her legal team. why did they not attempt to refute the prosecutions charges with ADMISSABLE evidence instead of hearsay from an alleged rapist who heard some bloke in jail say he had a mate who spoke to a guy who put drugs in her bag.

and with videotapes of Australian TV show reports about dodgy baggage handlers - PLEASE!! under the rules of evidence this stuff would not be accepted as evidence in an Australian Court so why would it be admissable over there.

she's in a horrible hellhole and I feel sorry for her in that she was caught/found with pot in her bag in a country where its classified in the same category as heroin. dunno whether she did it or not but thems the facts.

maybe we should be trying to get a refund on our Tsunami donations like I heard today that a few people were trying to do......now THAT is a disgrace.

Jez

With remission, I would expect her to be released within 8 years.

That's going by Thai & Singapore examples though.

She hasn't done too bad in my book. She could get more at her appeal. I reckon she should let sleeping dogs lie, and hope for a prisoner exchange arrangement.

Check this out

Latest posts

Back