A Beer For Schapelle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wortgames

'Draught' is not a beer style - it's a lifestyle
Reaction score
I know we don't need to debate the subject here, and it's already had every last trace of humanity bled out of it by the media, so my comment is based firmly on the assumption that she didn't do it.

I have spent some time in Indonesia, and having some idea how the beaurocracy functions there I would have put money on this result - but on actually hearing the verdict I really feel gutted for the poor girl. There but for the grace of God and all that.

So, it being Friday afternoon, and me being my own boss, I'm having the beer that she can't have and sparing her a thought. A lot of folks get dealt a rough hand in life, and this one's no picnic.

Wortgames said:
I know we don't need to debate the subject here, and it's already had every last trace of humanity bled out of it by the media,
[post="61030"][/post]​

Seems to be the way of the media and "Shock Jock" attention seekers of our country WG. Whether she's guilty or not, she would have received a mere slap on the wrists in Australia.

That *******-headed Derryn Hinch earns my contempt through is muck-raking on poor old recently-departed Graham Kennedy.

That was plain disgusting IMO. He was trying to tarnish the memory and dignity of a man who brought nothing but joy and a lot of laughs to the lives to generations of Australians. Can't wait for re-runs of Don's Party and the Odd Angry Shot.

I can just see him up in heaven now with the perfect riposte for Derryn. :)

Next pint's for you Gra-Gra! :super:

Warren -

Yeah what is it with that Hinch guy. "Chappelle is only getting the coverage because she's attractive" WHat an a-hole.
Most believe she's getting the coverage because she's innocent.

It just goes to show the total ineptitude of our beloved government and illustrious leaders, that it could well have been Johny Howard sitting in Schapples jail cell right now, all for the sake of going on holiday to a place we help rebuild after the horror of the Bali bombings.
It is a sobering thought, that if you get in the shit in Indonesia kiss you arse goodbye.

She sure got the rough end of the pineapple, poor old Chapelle. I wont go into it either, as these type of forums arent the place for political-esque rants or debates, but I will be following suit with you wortgames, I'll charge my glass to her tonight, probably along with most of Oz.
Here's to innocent people not being put in jail!
Trent

Don't get me wrong - I still feel very sorry for her...BUT

You have to admit though if it were me (a 23 year old male of mediterranean ancestory) in her situation I can guarantee you that I wouldn't generate the same amount of sympathy as a pretty young anglo woman.

Just a thought.

Might have one for Barlow, Chambers and McAuliffe as well.

Oops, my bad....thought we were commiserating over losing Greg to the Indians

I'll have a beer for her too. Some people at my work thought that she got what was coming; and are entitled to their opinion, however wrong, twisted and evil it may be.

...and one 4 Gra-Gra. Shame that Graham will never meet Derryn in heaven to sort it out coz Derryn is prob going 2 the other place.

To reprise Mr Kennedy's infamous crow-call: Faaaaaaarrrrrrrrk!

Seth out

P.S. I still remember the Barlow and Chambers jokes from when I was younger...

ITs a very sorry planet we live on, if an Indonesian were caught with that much dope here.....he/she would have got off as the evidance is not strong enough, however Indo law works the opposite to most civalised countries, Ill be having a beer or 10 for her, and a we dram for Gra Gra. Ill also be checking every packet it but and will never again purchase anything from Indo, East Timor was bad enough, now they realy have me pissed off.

Uncle Johhny Needs to get some ballas about him.

</end rant>

Raise a glass foe everyone that has had mis justice

Weizguy said:
To reprise Mr Kennedy's infamous crow-call: Faaaaaaarrrrrrrrk!

Seth out

[post="61069"][/post]​

a big tall glass of Faaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrkkkkk for Gra Gra

Wortgames said:
There but for the grace of God and all that.
[post="61030"][/post]​

A toast to Chappelle and the any innocent Indonesians who have faced the same Judge and system. Just another victim in the "War on Drugs".

Edit: isn't her name Shappelle :) Chief Judge Linton Sirait has never let anyone walk free from his courts. Fingers crossed for the appeals.

Whoops: Schapelle thats 3 goes at the poor girl's name.

ozbrewer said:
ITs a very sorry planet we live on, if an Indonesian were caught with that much dope here.....he/she would have got off as the evidance is not strong enough, however Indo law works the opposite to most civalised countries, Ill be having a beer or 10 for her, and a we dram for Gra Gra. Ill also be checking every packet it but and will never again purchase anything from Indo, East Timor was bad enough, now they realy have me pissed off.

</end rant>

[post="61070"][/post]​

Not taking sides but every country has the right to make it's own laws. What we do and think in Australia has no bearings on how the indonesians run their country.

We cried for the death penalty even though we don't have it here for the bombings and cried against the death penalty because we don't have it here for Corby. I think there may have been a more favourable result had this trial been made less of a circus by Australians and the media.

spend only a few hours in East Timor and youll know where im comming from

ozbrewer said:

</end rant>

[post="61070"][/post]​

I dont want to start a debate, but if you are in another country you have to live by thier laws and accept thier punishments if you are caught breaking the law. I'm in no way saying that I think Chapelle is guity, I'm just saying that just because australia has relitivly light laws for drug possession(thank god!), it doesn't mean that an Australain in another country should be subject to our laws. I will have a beer for her too, I hope that her (and the hundred or so other Australians in jail overseas) can be sent back here to serve their sentences.
, Voota

About 20 years in secondary fermentation should do it

Cheers

ozbrewer said:
spend only a few hours in East Timor and youll know where im comming from
[post="61076"][/post]​

Yeh my nephew was in East Timor & he was in the unlucky job of revealing the mass graves created by the Indonesian backed gorillas, not good. And then there's that Abu Bakar Basher who blew up 102 people in Bali & only got two years, this would have to be the most corrupt country ever.

As far as the Indonesian justice system goes (and in fact many of the south-east asian nations), you need to remember that the officials do what they think their superiors want them to do. There is no autonomy, there is instead a tangle of beaurocracy, fear and corruption. The judge has more to fear by going against his government and acquitting than he does by convicting (over 500 trials, 0 acquittals, do the math!)

The very fact that she was arrested made her guilty - the truth is it wouldn't have mattered who said or did what, she was caught in a very big machine that wasn't about to stop. And it could have been any single one of us, pure and simple.

I can't agree more Wortgames.......
Oh, did you see on tonights news we let the old fellow who bashed his wife of 30yrs to death go free !!
Think about it.......

Latest posts

Back