A Beer For Schapelle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does someone here know something I don't?. I haven't heard a story from either side that convinces me either way.
If she's not guilty then she's a very good actor.
If she's guilty then it's quite believable there's some locals over there prepared to pay for some good hydro or whatever it was.
Either way, I'll be locking my bags when I travel from now on.

Girl Gone Bad (sorry Jayse, couldn't resist)
Nick

Yeah Stickler, watch any of the current affair type shows and you will find out quick smart.eg Sixty mins a few weeks ago confirmed my thoughts, with facts...unlike the court today.
I as a baggage handler pity the poor las.

Oh, remember how we all condemed Lindy Chamberlam.................

If you're not happy with the verdict like I'm not, then send an email to'em telling them where to go and where you won't be spending your hard earned dollars. One or two of us won't matter to them, but, five million of us on the other hand lets them know the cost of their verdict. If enough of us send emails to the pricks, it still won't make a difference, just helps to vent the spleen and hope that their website crashes..... Which is a point.... Any hackers out there ??? Encourage your friends to encourage their friends and so on. What's it cost to send an email ??? What's she paying ???

[email protected] - The government of Bali
[email protected] - The Bali Tourism Authority (so that they can calculate the lost tourism dollars)
[email protected] - Statistics Indonesia (so that they can count the number of protests)
[email protected] - Webmaster of the Indonesian Government website (as I can't find the presidents address)

You can also send an email to these dickheads who couldn't organise a piss-up in a brury (tell me they couldn't find out which bag handlers where on duty and had healthy bank accounts....)

[email protected] - The Australian Federal Police National Operations Monitoring Centre

Wortgames said:
As far as the Indonesian justice system goes (and in fact many of the south-east asian nations), you need to remember that the officials do what they think their superiors want them to do. There is no autonomy, there is instead a tangle of beaurocracy, fear and corruption. The judge has more to fear by going against his government and acquitting than he does by convicting (over 500 trials, 0 acquittals, do the math!)

The very fact that she was arrested made her guilty - the truth is it wouldn't have mattered who said or did what, she was caught in a very big machine that wasn't about to stop. And it could have been any single one of us, pure and simple.
[post="61084"][/post]​

Well noted Wortgames. I spent a couple years working at an US owned gold mine site in West Papua (old Irian Jaya) and this is exactly how it is in Indonesia. While there may be expats working along side the locals, training them with improved skills for their future, the bottom line is that the Indonesians like to show the overseas boys that 'they are in control'. I had containers of supplies come in from Cairns that took 6 days to travel, but took 3 months to clear customs because they were calling the shots. By time of clearance, my local purchasing manager had to travel to the dock side with the paper bag to clear the goods. Everything ordered had 1 extra, as the 'inspections' had to remove one of everything. Laugh if you want, but that is the way thing still operate after the days of Suharto, Gus Dur and Megawati and I'm afraid it will never change regardless of all the promises made.

I could quote many examples of what we would note as corruption, toll ways around Jakarta for example. But for Schapelle, Wortgames summed it up exactly. 'The very fact she was arrested made her guilty'. This is the way the 'system' works in Indonesia. On the flip side, they can be very helpful as I and a good friend of mine have experienced which I'll leave at that.

It is good to hear that the Federal Government has provided 2 QC's to the case plus funds. This will no doubt help in the long term. As for myself and my wife (past residents) we are troubled with the verdict. However, we must respect it and not condemn the Bali locals to our scourn and discontempt. We believe Schapelle is innoccent and eventually are sure this will be shown.

Brett.

Would anyone care if it was a 29yr old Australian male of Asian descent

I think not

Media beat up

Hopeye said:
If you're not happy with the verdict like I'm not, then send an email to'em telling them where to go and where you won't be spending your hard earned dollars. One or two of us won't matter to them, but, five million of us on the other hand lets them know the cost of their verdict. If enough of us send emails to the pricks, it still won't make a difference, just helps to vent the spleen and hope that their website crashes..... Which is a point.... Any hackers out there ??? Encourage your friends to encourage their friends and so on. What's it cost to send an email ??? What's she paying ???

[email protected] - The government of Bali
[email protected] - The Bali Tourism Authority (so that they can calculate the lost tourism dollars)
[email protected] - Statistics Indonesia (so that they can count the number of protests)
[email protected] - Webmaster of the Indonesian Government website (as I can't find the presidents address)

You can also send an email to these dickheads who couldn't organise a piss-up in a brury (tell me they couldn't find out which bag handlers where on duty and had healthy bank accounts....)

[email protected] - The Australian Federal Police National Operations Monitoring Centre
[post="61106"][/post]​

Good Post Hopeye, Thank you Verry much

my two bobs worth, what a sham. with the recent camels head incident at sydney airport it just shows how unbelievably slack and useless airport security in this country is. shapelle now possibly has 20 years to sit and think about this, maybe due to some greedy little c#%t who does not give a f#$K so long as he/she gets what they want regardless of the innocent. bring her home! :angry:

noooo not here too
guilty or not you have to accept it

Did we not supply them with a new hospital after the bombings, close that down and get 4 QCs over there
I feel that bali was pressured into jailng that Abu Bakar Basher and this is a way that they can get back at us no mercy for any ozzies was the message from the top we should all vote with our mouse buttons

Sorry to intrude on the great Aussie justice party but, she was convicted on the facts. Caught red-handed with a shirt load of pot. What is the court supposed to do? Say: well it appears, and there has been no evidence presented to the contrary, that you attempted to enter Indonesia with a large amount of illegal drugs, despite that we'll let you go. Sounds like that would be the decision of a kangaroo court.
Oh and spare a thought for Davis Hicks who has been locked up without charge and without a prospect of the prosecutor raising a lawful charge for the best part of three years. And this has happened within the legal system of our great and powerful friend.
Keep it real!

pbrosnan said:
Sorry to intrude on the great Aussie justice party but, she was convicted on the facts. Caught red-handed with a shirt load of pot. What is the court supposed to do? Say: well it appears, and there has been no evidence presented to the contrary, that you attempted to enter Indonesia with a large amount of illegal drugs, despite that we'll let you go. Sounds like that would be the decision of a kangaroo court.
Oh and spare a thought for Davis Hicks who has been locked up without charge and without a prospect of the prosecutor raising a lawful charge for the best part of three years. And this has happened within the legal system of our great and powerful friend.
Keep it real!
[post="61137"][/post]​

Absolutly spot on pbrosnan

ozbrewer said:
ITs a very sorry planet we live on, if an Indonesian were caught with that much dope here.....he/she would have got off as the evidance is not strong enough, however Indo law works the opposite to most civalised countries, Ill be having a beer or 10 for her, and a we dram for Gra Gra. Ill also be checking every packet it but and will never again purchase anything from Indo, East Timor was bad enough, now they realy have me pissed off.

Uncle Johhny Needs to get some ballas about him.

</end rant>

Raise a glass foe everyone that has had mis justice
[post="61070"][/post]​

On ya ozbrewer !

I have been to Bali several times , never again , I wish all Aussies would stop going there now.
Show a bit of country pride , old Jonny sure as hell didn't

My view anyway

Batz

Gday (I know I said before this isnt the place for debate, but it appears it has already started anyway, and I must put in my 2 cents to some of the comments I have read.)
<Rant on>
I have to say that I think the girl is innocent (I mean, who would take 50 grand worth of pot into a country it is worth about 5 grand). Pbrosnan, your post was well put, David Hicks has been screwed royally aswell, and if we are gonna be sending emails to Indo, we may aswell send em to Bonsai (lil johnny, so named because he is a little bush). However, from all reports I have heard (because I dont read the papers or watch the news too much any more) they didnt fingerprint the bag, to see if she had put it in there, and more importantly, even though the wieght of her baggage when she checked in was less than the wieght of the baggage, it was deemed irrelevant by the judges (apparently). She didnt prove her innocence by not being able to prove who is guilty. This would be akin to someone being picked up by the police here for having a $50 note in their possesion, when an old lady was mugged the night before for $50. They can protest their innocence, but have the police say "well, if it wasnt you, then prove who it was" and then not be allowed to have any defence presented for them. I understand it is their justice system, and they can run it how they want. But innocent people should not be put into jail. With this, however, I am not saying that Indonesia is any worse or better than the US, or even our good selves. Read up on the violation of West Papua if ya wanna know what I mean there. And Deadly, by reading your comments, it would appear that you have never spent any time in a thirld world country. Maybe you should try it sometime, or at least wonder how you would feel if it were your sister. No offence meant to you personally, mate, it is your opinion, and if that is how you would feel is it were a loved one of yours in that predicament, then you are well entitled to it. Were Schappelle allowed a fair trial, rather than having any evidence in her defence dismissed as "irrelevant", as was quoted on the news last night, THEN you would have to accept it. Gross miscarriages of justice such as this happen every day of the week, all over the world, and we never hear about them. When we get a chance to hear about them, I reckon it is a good time to make a big song and dance about it, lest one day, we be in her shoes.
And in response to the people wondering if an Asian or Mediterranean male would have received the same media coverage, I am sad to say that they probably wouldnt have. Mind you, even a white male wouldnt have received the coverage Schappelle has either. People which much easier believe a male would smuggle, than a female. Stereotyping can be an ugly thing, but to be honest, I am sure that most have met drug dealers in their lives, and how many of them were women? I've never met one.
As siiren said, "lock ya bags". Mad if ya dont. And thanks for the email addresses Hopeye.
<end rant>
Sorry if it may sound a little over the top, I have tried to tone it done a bit!
Trent

Thanks Trent, I woke up as mad as hell about the whole storey, even madder when i listednd to talk back radio, listening to the nievity of australians, "she was found guilty, therefore she is guilty" the evidance that proved her innocence was dismissed as irrelivant.

No legal system is perfect, the US system is supposed to be the best, but look at Ruben Carter, look what the Seppos are doing to the prisoners in Quba, there are aussies there too held with out charge, it sux, its not lawfull, and its time the little men/women, stood up to the little man in canberra. I had a small amount of respect for little johnny untill his comment yesterday.

Now the prisoners at G/Bay are are in slighly different situation the Ms Corby, but they have been imprissoned with out a lawfull charge, and infact Hicks has only done what hundreds of Aussies have done before him, I personaly know of people that have left the defence force, and being unable to cope with a normal lifestyle, become mercinaries. The US and Australia, and Britten, are employing them now in Afganistan, and Iraq as "Security" companies, but if someone decides to support the other side, its now a crime, just dont make sence at all to me. Now im not a fan of terrorists, dont get me wrong, i spen most of my adult life protecting Australia and its neibours agains it, but right is right, and wrong is wrong.

Is it time that a higher power steps in, the UN couldnet do much in GBAy, so im sure they cant help......Maybe a United Brewers Court, we can fix all the worlds problems over a few home brews, maybe use the accused to clean out the bottles, who knows

What was the evidence that suggests she is innocent other than her own word?

Evidence and arrests of drug traffickers via baggage tampering in Australian Airports on Oct 8th 04.........the day Corby was caught.

Complete lack of security in Airports and Transfered baggage.
This with Indos complete balls up of procedure in Customs eg the handling of the drugs, fingerprints, c.c.tv (lack of )......etc
In Australian Courts this case would have been thrown out long ago.

I was approached by customs when travelling through Indo and asked if i wanted 'a cheap cops badge ' i declined.............at 18yrs old it frightened the crap out of me.
Asia/indo is rife with corruption ( not to forget Oz ) so add a little bit of that ellement to the case..

Latest posts

Back