A Beer Accompaniment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meow. Worst bet I ever took on one night was in Birmingham, Alabama. Sitting at the bar 'Wings' the barman bet me a round of beers I wouldn't eat a tablespoon of straight habenero paste. As Dr. Karl says "Biggg Mistake" :huh: I spent the next 30 minutes practically crying trying to dull the pain, don't know what was worst, trying to reduce the burn with Bud Light or realising I'd have to pass on the free round :( Hurt big time the next day too :blink:

I would have stipulated a quart of gargling yoghourt.

I used to erat raw chillies all the time when I was younger. I would have prefered sitting down to a good movie with a bag of chillies rather than popcorn or chips. I paid for it big time several years back when my guts finally rebelled. The first case of gastritis had me in hospital, hooked up to a heart monitor with doctors running around treating me for a suspected heart attack - the pain was that great it was affecting the regularity of my heat beat! :blink:
Now I can only drink a few glasses of beer a day, or perhaps one or two glasses of wine if the acid is not too great. Kind of limits my brewing to about one batch every two months or so... and that is with plenty of assistance in drinking the keg :p
In short... you can keep your bloody chillies, thank you!

Cheers,
TSD

I used to erat raw chillies all the time when I was younger. I would have prefered sitting down to a good movie with a bag of chillies rather than popcorn or chips. I paid for it big time several years back when my guts finally rebelled. The first case of gastritis had me in hospital, hooked up to a heart monitor with doctors running around treating me for a suspected heart attack - the pain was that great it was affecting the regularity of my heat beat! :blink:
Now I can only drink a few glasses of beer a day, or perhaps one or two glasses of wine if the acid is not too great. Kind of limits my brewing to about one batch every two months or so... and that is with plenty of assistance in drinking the keg :p
In short... you can keep your bloody chillies, thank you!

Cheers,
TSD
Jeez, SD that is pretty extreme, I love hot food but would never dream of eating a raw chilli, no wonder you buggered up your guts. Anything in extremes is going to harm you in one way or another.

cheers

Browndog

Is there any brewers out there who just love Chilliies? I do, I know Screwtop does, but has anyone made or eaten Rellenos?
Recipe here...
Mr Linky

Basically a stuffed and de-seeded Jalapeno (not the really hot ones, they're Habaeros) with mozarella cheese/diced bacon etc. Toss them in oil to fry them or wrapp them in puffed pasty and oven.

Goes well with REALLLY COLD BEER and biltong & nuts and bolts! I'll bring some to the next Brewerhood meeting.

InCider.

They sound pretty good InCider. Habaneros are apparently 1 million times more powerful than jalapenos. Just in case anyone is interested in some chilli trivia, jalapenos were genetically engineered from habaneros by Texas A&M University to be less powerful. I tried habaneros once... ahh!! they burn! The residue burns your arms in the washing up!

I love chilli's i grow heaps of different kinds at home, chilli "hotness" is rated in "Scoville units".

A Jalapeno has a maximum of 10,000 Scoville units, and in my opinion are not hot for sh*t.

I grow a variety called Naga Jolokia from North eastern india, they are rated a bit over 1,000,000 Scoville units, you can cut one in half and just dab it once or twice on your plate of food and that is enough for me. :wub: <---- thats a burning face by the way!

I am REALLY looking forward to that one Incider, it sounds devine. I think our inaugural meeting is going to be a gastronomic feast :D

cheers

Browndog

I can't wait either. I got some large chillies about 100mm long today from a mate and will stuff tonite or tomorrow to get some practice in. Might end up with a bum like a japanese flag!
japanav.jpeg

Is there any brewers out there who just love Chilliies? I do, I know Screwtop does, but has anyone made or eaten Rellenos?
Recipe here...
Mr Linky

Basically a stuffed and de-seeded Jalapeno (not the really hot ones, they're Habaeros) with mozarella cheese/diced bacon etc. Toss them in oil to fry them or wrapp them in puffed pasty and oven.

Goes well with REALLLY COLD BEER and biltong & nuts and bolts! I'll bring some to the next Brewerhood meeting.

InCider.
Sounds delicious InCider. I will definatley try making them once my young jalepeno starts fruiting.

I had a crack at a similar chilli number that Ainslie Herriot :)ph34r: ) made on one of his TV shows. He made both Paprika's and Jalepenos stuffed with garlic, ginger, a bit of butter and a peeled prawn then secured with a couple of tooth picks. On the barbie till cooked and enjoy with a beer, a top horse-doover.

:beer:

Anyone tried this stuff? Some friends of ours have it sent over from the US. Seriously hot. Painful actually B)

Raw_Heat_001.jpg

Raw_Heat_002.jpg

I heard of one chili sauce available over in USA where you had to sign a waiver before you bought it. Apparently a toothpick dipped in this small jar would give a bowl of salsa a decent kick!

Shot Duck, you're a mad man. A bag of chillis?

While we're on food, does anyone have any good bbq beer-marinade recipes? I have yet to try my homebrew in one.

I grow a variety called Naga Jolokia from North eastern india, they are rated a bit over 1,000,000 Scoville units

That's the variety the Indian army kept classified for a few years while they looked into military applications isn't it? Where did you get the seeds? I'm currently planning a chilli bed in the garden.

That's the variety the Indian army kept classified for a few years while they looked into military applications isn't it? Where did you get the seeds? I'm currently planning a chilli bed in the garden.

Got the seeds last year from a chilli shop on ebay. I just did a search and they still sell them, along with a variety of habanero's which are another favourite of mine.

Heres the link

I bought a food dehydrator for my xmas present and made some habanero kangaroo jerky.... blew my head off, strong stuff. :eek:

Edit spelling, and im not sure about the indian army story although i wouldnt be surprised they're very hot.

Cheers for that. I see they have white Habanero too. I think I'll be blowing a few of my PayPal $$ here :)

Have a bottle of "Pappy's Moonshine Madness" from the Kentucky Cookout Company, Bourbon and Chilli Sauce mix, the bottle says "SO FRIGGIN HOT YOU'LL GO BLIND". Not that bad had a bottle of their "KICK ASS CHILLI SAUCE" once which was good.

I grow Halapenjo, Habanero, Cayenne and for the faint hearted a few milder asian or Thai styles. Chilli's don't die off completely in the winter here so I let em grow into bushes. After picking, tie them into ristras and hang them under the eaves to dry, they keep forever then, great for cooking.

Those of you keen on Chilli checkout The Byron Bay Chilli Co site, register and they send a regular newsletter with great chilli recipes. BBCC Chilli Recipes

MoonMadnessSmall.jpg
RistraSmall.jpg

byron bay chilli company make some really nice sauces, none as extreme as some of the other sauces here though.

The Chilli Factory seems to have quite a few outlets around the country and has some really good sauces. I bought some "Turbo Supercharge" Habenero paste the other week... now i'm a chilli freak and love it hot but jesus this stuff is hot. I don't think i would go anywhere near the Naga Jolokia if it's hotter.

Also wtf would you use this for? 16 million scoville heat units?!?!?!

Also wtf would you use this for? 16 million scoville heat units?!?!?!

"Blairs 16million reserve" thats a bit over $600 aussie dollars for 1ml of pure capsicum crystals. I dont think that stuff would be edible, you could play some dangerous (and expensive) jokes on people though.

I currently have 1kg of prime lean beef in the food dehydrator. I find that if i put too many spices in it can be a bit too salty and overpowering, i've kept the recipe a bit simpler this time.

Following Kai's preperation method with rock salt etc,

splash of soy
splash of wistochere
apple cider vinegar
2 orange habanero's
1 clove garlic
splash of lemon juice
lemon pepper
tabasco

the marinade tasted great cant wait to try the finished product.

Here is some pics of the Rellenos in pastry - less oil and lovely after a quick buzz in the oven.

If you come to the SE QLD March get together, you'll be having a few...and some of these!

P1080034.jpg

P1080035.jpg

P1080032.jpg

And that 16 million Scoville stuff is enough to run a small car on. Or blow it up! IED perhaps?

InCider.

the thought of dried meat never really appealed to me, i remember trying some as a kid and never really liked it. anyways, i was over my brothers over christmas and he had made some jerky in his food dehydrator, i tried some and i just couldn't stop eating it cause it was so delicious.

so 2 days ago i purchased a food dehydrator and it's been running non-stop since then (i'm a bit worried about my power consumption 500W is listed on the bottom!). i've god some beef strips marinating in the fridge now, they will be going into the dryer tonight when my cherry tomatoes are done. the recipe:

(based on the recipe that came with the manual for the dehydrator)
1.5kg beef strips
5 tablespoons soy sauce
5 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon tomato sauce
1/2 tablespoon ground peppercorns
1 tablespoon curry powder
3 cloves garlic crushed
1/2 teaspoon seasalt
1 fresh (of the plant) orange habinero chilli finely chopped.

i can't wait.

Jupiter, sounds great, let us know how the jerky tastes.

InCider I can't wait to tuck into those Rellenos, I am dipping into some Habanero Salsa at the moment, nice and hot :eek: .

I am also tucking into my Stilton cheese, only 4 weeks old but tasting great already, I will bring some down to the Bat cave for anyone into cheeses.
Roqueforte_008.jpgRoqueforte_009.jpg

Cheers
Andrew

Back