A Beer Accompaniment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heya, out of interest, do you know what cut of roo it is? I have a 'non commercial' :rolleyes: source of roo meat and and have been meaning to get a hold of some to dry.

Maker sure your 'roo is killed and butchered in as clean conditions as you can organise. The flesh should not be contaminated by contact with the fur. Usually when an animal is butchered, the skin is punched off, then the meat cut up. Fur has lots of bacteria and contact with this bacteria makes the meat go off quickly.

Also make sure that the meat has no worms. There are two common worms, the ones that look like cellophane noodles that live between the muscle fibres and the coiled worms that live between the joints. A young roo usually does not have worms.

The best cut is the backstrap meat. Try using this for your jerky. Makes a delicious product. Roo meat is low in fat and ideal for jerky. Must cook up some more.

With any jerky, you are aiming to dry the meat rather than cook it, so go as low as possible with the heat.

Great stuff Kai, I spent 2.5years in southern Africa and have tryed a huge range of differant meat. Hippo is very good as is Elephant , most of the jumping buck type of things but a personal faviort was Kudu.

Back here I have made heaps and I use a few variations of recipes one very simmilar to your Kai and another very simple one that follows..

Best cut of steak/meat no fatty bits
Kikkoman soy sauce
salt
good vinegar
lemon juice
pepper
garlic
chilli

Mix the marinade together , Remove any moisture from meat by squezeing in paper towel or a clean tea towel and place meat in an air tight container with marinade overnight in a fridge. next day hang to dry.

I use a "NARA" food dehydrater , and it works great. A nice slow dry.

Billtong is way better than jerky. Jerky is traditionaly very dry where Billtong is dryed in bigger strips and remains slightly moist in the middle. I've seen 1/2 a ton of hippo cut up and hung to dry in huntting camps on the Zambezi river .. Just unberliverable but bloody good chewing.. ;)

Cheers

Safety Steve Says: There are two types of smoking of protien, hot smoke and cold smoke. Hot smoking involves placing the meat in with a heat source and some wood to provide the required flavour. The wood should only smoulder not burn. This method cooks and preserves meat.

Cold Smoking is the use of smoke from a remote heat source to preserve meat, this cold smoked meat must be cooked before human consumption.

Dehydrating is a way of preserving meat similar to hot smoking, the meat must be kept slightly above pasteurisation temp for a minimum of an hour. Smokey flavours can be reproduced using spices.

I use a dehydrator to dry marinated meat strips over 24 hrs.

My recipe for the marinate:
500g round steak cut into this strips
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
1 clove garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
black pepper and curry powder to taste

Combine the ingredients and add the meat, put in a tupperware container and leave overnight in the fridge. Remove strips from marinate and dry for a minimum of 10 hrs (pref 24 depends on heat) in fan forced oven or dehydrator. Strips must be just pliable and bendable when ready, not too dry.

So Screwy since were talking beer related snacks do you feel like shareing your "Nuts & bolts " recipe ?

They went down a treat at the swap. ;)

:beer:

So Screwy since were talking beer related snacks do you feel like shareing your "Nuts & bolts " recipe ?

They went down a treat at the swap. ;)

:beer:

OK, the wife's family Nuts and bolts recipe:

300g Nutri Grain
1 Desertspoon Curry Powder
600g Unsalted Peanuts
1 pkt French Onion Soup Mix
1 Pkt Cream of Chicken Soup Mix
3/4 Cup Olive Oil

Mix thoroughly, great with BEER!

Well gave it a go. Very happy with flavour but I think I need to get thinner slices. Had a friend over today for a beer to see the Aussies bring back our Ashes trophy and offered him some of my homemade Jerky. He likened it to cold roast beef. SO I think it was a little to thick. I will try to make it thinner and season with a few of the ideas I have seen here.

Cheers

HK

Thanks for the recipe Screwtop, I love that stuff and will make some next time we have a do. I had a crack at making some jerky today. I bought 1kg of thinly sliced topside which I cut into strips, patted dry then marinated with a mixture of teriaki sauce, tspn of onion powder, tspn of garlic powder, 1 1/2 tspn chilli powder and 2-3 tspn of honey. The marinade tasted great, I'll marinate for 24 hrs then hang the strips up to dry for 3 days or so and should be right for the weekend.

cheers

Browndog

Don't really know if anyone is interested, but I hung my jerky up today. I made a rack from 3/4" pine and used bamboo skewers to hold the meat. I hung the rack from the ceiling in the front room to keep the creepy crawlies off it. It smells great and I can't wait till sat or friday if the weather is warm to try it.

jerky_2.JPG
Topside steak sliced aprox 5mm and cut into strips, marinated for 24hrs in the fridge.

jerky_1.JPG
hanging from the makeshift rack in the front room with lots of newspaper underneath to catch the drips, and yes, I have a very understanding wife.

cheers

Browndog

Don't really know if anyone is interested, but I hung my jerky up today. I made a rack from 3/4" pine and used bamboo skewers to hold the meat. I hung the rack from the ceiling in the front room to keep the creepy crawlies off it. It smells great and I can't wait till sat or friday if the weather is warm to try it.

View attachment 10558
Topside steak sliced aprox 5mm and cut into strips, marinated for 24hrs in the fridge.

View attachment 10559
hanging from the makeshift rack in the front room with lots of newspaper underneath to catch the drips, and yes, I have a very understanding wife.

cheers

Browndog

BD that's not hot smoking just drying, they'll need to be cooked to kill any micro nasties that might hatch and eat your brain, or at least heat at pasteurisation temp for an hour.

Hey Browndog, hope you don't have a dog nearby. That would be sooooo tempting to stand on the chair and scoff.

I lost a batch to the dog once.

Oooh,

Is this another Garibaldi coming on?

Dont let your kids eat it.

cheers

Darren

BD that's not hot smoking just drying, they'll need to be cooked to kill any micro nasties that might hatch and eat your brain, or at least heat at pasteurisation temp for an hour.

I'm confused now :unsure: I thought the whole idea was to dry the meat, not smoke or cook it??

Cheers Ross

I'm confused now :unsure: I thought the whole idea was to dry the meat, not smoke or cook it??

Cheers Ross

Drying meat preserves it, you can use smoke at the same time (cold smoking). Then you have to cook it before eating it, same as salt cure etc. Hot smoking or drying cooks the meat as well as preserving it, then you don't need to cook it. Same with smoked fish, you'll be offered hot or cold smoked.

Drying meat preserves it, you can use smoke at the same time (cold smoking). Then you have to cook it before eating it, same as salt cure etc. Hot smoking or drying cooks the meat as well as preserving it, then you don't need to cook it. Same with smoked fish, you'll be offered hot or cold smoked.

I understand the concept of smoking - But Kai's instructions & others on this page, say to air dry & not to cook or smoke - so that's where my confusion is.

cheers Ross

Well, I've done some research and it appears Safety Steve is very correct in what he says. The meat must be cooked to kill any nasties. I read a particularly good page that is copy writtten so here is the link About a bloke poisoned by some bugs after eating some cougar jerky he made. The author goes to great lengths to explain the neccessity to heat the meat to kill the germs, it is a good read. Seems like 160F for a few hrs does the trick, that is what I'l lbe doing to mine tomorrow.

cheers

Browndog

i was watching a show on foxtel, i think its called 'little cottage' or something like that, and the host built a cold smoker out of a tin, some air conditioning duct and an old cider cask. looked quite good.

Sunbeam make a good cheap food dryer, usually somewhere around $80 on special. These are great for making jerk and drying any fruit or vegies that you might have an abundance of at different times of the year. Suspect it'll be pretty good at drying hop flowers too, will find out soon.

These appliances keep the temp up using pretty much what appears to be a hair dryer built into the lid, blowing hot air over the drying racks below, don't think it would be too difficult to make one out of a box with some old fridge shelves and air holes, and a $15 hair dryer stuck in the lid.

Back