A Beer Accompaniment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kai,

Interesting but if enteridis was the only concern then no worries.

The problem with your theory is that all eggs are cleaned thoroughly and are not cracked (yes even hair-line cracks will cause problems). Birds in general are absolutely covered in Salmonella species (of which there are many). Would you eat raw chicken?
I refer you to these papers:

Fielding J, Snell P, Milazzo A, Del Fabbro L, Raupach J. An outbreak of Salmonella Typhimurium phage type 4 linked to cold set cheesecake. Communicable Diseases Intelligence 2003; 27(4):513-514.

Hall R. Outbreak of gastroenteritis due to Salmonella Typhimurium phage type 135a following consumption of raw egg. Communicable Disease Intelligence, 2002: 26(2):285-287.

As for the raw beef hung from a rail exposed to the environment, count me out please.

Dont give it to your kids.

cheers

Darren

Sadly, the more "cleaner" our food products become the less chance our bodies have to fight off these bugs. With the way our foods are processed now our stomachs natural bacteria can not cope with the odd occurance of the bacteria mentioned in this thread. We have cleaned our food to the point where we are now susceptable to the slightest infections where once a side off beef could be left to hang for considerable time with no adverse affects because our bodies had a natural capacity to fight them off.

Our bodies are becoming a cleaner growing enviroment for the bad bugs while the good bugs (that fight the bad ones) are slowly dying off.

But I will still make my own sausages and cheese and beer in the hope of negating the effects of our sterile enviroment.

Cheers
Andrew

When I was a youngster I used to drink the water from the creek that ran behind all the homes in my street, I did this for nearly 10yrs or so. Back then I never got sick, looking back I reckon I had more bugs in my guts than there were in any food that I ate. Ads I got older I noticed that I was more suseptable to illness, so I really think you have something there Andrew.

cheers

Browndog

As for the raw beef hung from a rail exposed to the environment, count me out please.

Dont give it to your kids.

It's not raw meat, it's salted (slightly), pickled (slightly) and dehydrated.

I wouldn't if I had any.

Kai,

Interesting but if enteridis was the only concern then no worries.

The problem with your theory is that all eggs are cleaned thoroughly and are not cracked (yes even hair-line cracks will cause problems). Birds in general are absolutely covered in Salmonella species (of which there are many). Would you eat raw chicken?
I refer you to these papers:

No need. I don't disagree with you there. Likening raw chicken to raw egg is not a particularly accurate comparison though.

What's that got to do with raw chicken?

Guys,
Which got infected first? the chicken or the egg?

sorry, could not restist that :D

Browndog

The chicken, browndog. It passes the infection onto the egg.

:p

Rare steak = BSE (bovine spongiform encaphalitis) Also known as mad cow disease.

It's my understanding that prions are somewhat heat tolerant, making an outbreaks a nightmare in hospitals where autoclaving may be insufficient to deactivate the proteins. So I wouldn't exactly rely on a well done steak to stop your brain getting holes in it. You're far more likely to suffer spongiform encaphalitis due to an endogenous mutation, anyway.

It's my understanding that prions are somewhat heat tolerant, making an outbreaks a nightmare in hospitals where autoclaving may be insufficient to deactivate the proteins. So I wouldn't exactly rely on a well done steak to stop your brain getting holes in it. You're far more likely to suffer spongiform encaphalitis due to an endogenous mutation, anyway.

Yeah. :huh: :blink:

When I was a youngster I used to drink the water from the creek that ran behind all the homes in my street, I did this for nearly 10yrs or so. Back then I never got sick, looking back I reckon I had more bugs in my guts than there were in any food that I ate. Ads I got older I noticed that I was more suseptable to illness, so I really think you have something there Andrew.

cheers

Browndog

Same here BD stopped in the creekbed one morning and had a big drink, sweet clear water. Wandered upstream around the next bend in the creek and started to smell something off. There was a dead cow in the creek, I mean really dead, she'd been in there a couple of weeks I reckon. Never did hurt me and come to think about it, I still drank from the creek on most days on the way home from school.

Here is mine:

jerk.JPG

Doesn't look like the packet stuff...tastes bloody brilliant!

I made sure (after reading the other posts here) to add the chilli numerous times, once in the initial marinade, again after 12 hours and then once again before it went in the oven. I gave some to my dad and he couldn't handle it :lol:

Awesome, only thought of doing it because of this thread...I'm never buying jerky again! :super:

PZ.

I'm quite partial to a bit of smoked fish when I have a few mates over.
3 tbs of brown sugar
1 tbs salt
sprinkle of chillie flakes.

Shake over some fresh Mullet fillets and refridgerate for 2 hrs, then smoke for 15 minutes in the smoker box with some Rose Gum shavings. Yummo.

Cheers
Andrew

I'm quite partial to a bit of smoked fish when I have a few mates over.
3 tbs of brown sugar
1 tbs salt
sprinkle of chillie flakes.

Shake over some fresh Mullet fillets and refridgerate for 2 hrs, then smoke for 15 minutes in the smoker box with some Rose Gum shavings. Yummo.

Cheers
Andrew

Jeez Andrew, that might be a request when we have the inaugural Brewerhood meeting mate. Sounds very tasty indeed.

cheers

Browndog

Jeez Andrew, that might be a request when we have the inaugural Brewerhood meeting mate. Sounds very tasty indeed.

cheers

Browndog

I will bring down the smoker and some mullet and cook it on the spot Browndog. Hope we get some jerky to go with it :D . Resourceful lot us brewers.

Cheers
Andrew

Is there any brewers out there who just love Chilliies? I do, I know Screwtop does, but has anyone made or eaten Rellenos?

Recipe here...
Mr Linky

Basically a stuffed and de-seeded Jalapeno (not the really hot ones, they're Habaeros) with mozarella cheese/diced bacon etc. Toss them in oil to fry them or wrapp them in puffed pasty and oven.

Goes well with REALLLY COLD BEER and biltong & nuts and bolts! I'll bring some to the next Brewerhood meeting.

InCider.

Is there any brewers out there who just love Chilliies? I do, I know Screwtop does, but has anyone made or eaten Rellenos?
Recipe here...
Mr Linky

Basically a stuffed and de-seeded Jalapeno (not the really hot ones, they're Habaeros) with mozarella cheese/diced bacon etc. Toss them in oil to fry them or wrapp them in puffed pasty and oven.

Goes well with REALLLY COLD BEER and biltong & nuts and bolts! I'll bring some to the next Brewerhood meeting.

InCider.

Meow. Worst bet I ever took on one night was in Birmingham, Alabama. Sitting at the bar 'Wings' the barman bet me a round of beers I wouldn't eat a tablespoon of straight habenero paste. As Dr. Karl says "Biggg Mistake" :huh: I spent the next 30 minutes practically crying trying to dull the pain, don't know what was worst, trying to reduce the burn with Bud Light or realising I'd have to pass on the free round :( Hurt big time the next day too :blink:

Stuffed 'poppers' like you describe are fantastic. Great bar food :beerbang:

Hands up who has tried Dave's Insanity Sauce, or the Megadeath sauce?

2 hands up POL, my brother is a chilli freak.

Recipe here...
Mr Linky

InCider.

I am REALLY looking forward to that one Incider, it sounds devine. I think our inaugural meeting is going to be a gastronomic feast :D

cheers

Browndog

Latest posts

Back