A Beer Accompaniment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jupiter, sounds great, let us know how the jerky tastes.

InCider I can't wait to tuck into those Rellenos, I am dipping into some Habanero Salsa at the moment, nice and hot :eek: .

I am also tucking into my Stilton cheese, only 4 weeks old but tasting great already, I will bring some down to the Bat cave for anyone into cheeses.
View attachment 11301View attachment 11302

Cheers
Andrew

:beer:

Gooday Andrew long time no see I am heavily into cheese and Habanero chillis. Looking forward to seeing you at the cave.

Cheers Altstart

Jupiter, sounds great, let us know how the jerky tastes.

InCider I can't wait to tuck into those Rellenos, I am dipping into some Habanero Salsa at the moment, nice and hot :eek: .

I am also tucking into my Stilton cheese, only 4 weeks old but tasting great already, I will bring some down to the Bat cave for anyone into cheeses.
View attachment 11301View attachment 11302

Cheers
Andrew

Andrew,

That looks unreal :beerbang: :super:

Would love to try my hand at that. If you could PM or email some guidelines that would be great as my wife and I love cheese.

I've just started roasting my own coffee today so why not something else :lol:

Cheers.

Duff, PM sent mate.

Altstart, I am looking forward to the weekend and sharing a Pint or two while we contemplate the toilet arrangements for the morning, Rellenos, Vindalloo, and I am sure other spicy stuff is going to play havoc in the morning :blink: .

Cheers
Andrew

Same here BD stopped in the creekbed one morning and had a big drink, sweet clear water. Wandered upstream around the next bend in the creek and started to smell something off. There was a dead cow in the creek, I mean really dead, she'd been in there a couple of weeks I reckon. Never did hurt me and come to think about it, I still drank from the creek on most days on the way home from school.

Whilst paddling the surf ski in the upper reaches of the Mooloolah River a few years ago I rolled off (Middle of summer) & lay on the sandbank drinking up the H2o. How good is this I said to myself, Rainforest on the right & clear water all around? But never saw the 10 or 15 cows shitting in the river until I got around the next bend. :lol:
Screwtop & Browndog,
My young days were just the same. You never worried abont drinking water from any running source as it was always safe. the world has changed & not for the better. Looking forward to your jerky BD.

Andrew,

That looks unreal :beerbang: :super:

Would love to try my hand at that. If you could PM or email some guidelines that would be great as my wife and I love cheese.

I've just started roasting my own coffee today so why not something else :lol:

Cheers.

Andrew, I LOVE Stilton cheese mate and the idea of making my own appeals to not only Duff but myself as well.

If you could also send PM some info on this as well I would be most appreciative. :super:

C&B
TDA

Have been making cheese at home for years, from the very simple quark curded with lemon juice to the soft white Camembert and Brie, occasionally a Chedder, but I love to make Stilton. Andrew my last Stilton matured for 8 months, had all sorts of stuff growing on the rind, a visiting Australian cheese judge demanded I sacrifice it for his visit, boy was it good.

Our homebrew fermentation fridges and temp control units are perfect for cheese maturation. Cheese is easy to make in the home kitchen up to about 20L of milk. Best if you can source some raw (non-pasteurised) milk, but any full cream milk will do. A few special cultures, rennet, cheese moulds etc is all that is required, the kit is a lot cheaper than what's required for AG brewing.

For those interested contact Carol Willman at Cheese Links they have an online store and conduct workshops around the country. If you have access to Goat or Sheep milk you've got it made, they make fantastic cheese.

Andrew,

I am a cheese fanatic. Just can't wait. :beerbang:

Who cut the cheese? :blink:

Andrew, the cheese looks fantastic. I am a cheese lover too, and looking forward to picking your brains at e swap.

Currently I have a 1/8 of a shopping bag of hababeros from the garded. Over the coming 6 weeks I hope to have added another 20 or so habs and 'water them down' with some other chillis and then make a sauce for the meet. I usuially add vinegar (2 metric splashes) and brown sugar (imperial handful) and then lemons, apple, onion or whatever else is to hand. I am on my last jar I made from last season.

InCider.

Have been making cheese at home for years, from the very simple quark curded with lemon juice to the soft white Camembert and Brie, occasionally a Chedder, but I love to make Stilton. Andrew my last Stilton matured for 8 months, had all sorts of stuff growing on the rind, a visiting Australian cheese judge demanded I sacrifice it for his visit, boy was it good.

Our homebrew fermentation fridges and temp control units are perfect for cheese maturation. Cheese is easy to make in the home kitchen up to about 20L of milk. Best if you can source some raw (non-pasteurised) milk, but any full cream milk will do. A few special cultures, rennet, cheese moulds etc is all that is required, the kit is a lot cheaper than what's required for AG brewing.

For those interested contact Carol Willman at Cheese Links they have an online store and conduct workshops around the country. If you have access to Goat or Sheep milk you've got it made, they make fantastic cheese.

Yes, it is easier to make than most people think. Only being a novice with 4 x 6lt batches under my belt I am still struggleing to leave them long enough to mature properly. The Stilton I bring to the swap will be 10 weeks old. Your 8 mth old one must have been fantastic.

Cheers
Andrew

Who cut the cheese? :blink:

Andrew, the cheese looks fantastic. I am a cheese lover too, and looking forward to picking your brains at e swap.

Currently I have a 1/8 of a shopping bag of hababeros from the garded. Over the coming 6 weeks I hope to have added another 20 or so habs and 'water them down' with some other chillis and then make a sauce for the meet. I usuially add vinegar (2 metric splashes) and brown sugar (imperial handful) and then lemons, apple, onion or whatever else is to hand. I am on my last jar I made from last season.

InCider.

Rellenos AND chillie sauce, I can't wait, come on March 10th :party:

Cheers
Andrew

I'll bring the frozen toilet paper...mmmmmmmmm soothing..lol

...as for my recent weight gain, I'd like to thank cheese and beer.
2 of the greatest consumables on earth :)

I have made my own white, blue and washed rind cheese for about 6-7 years.

This is a great book http://www.cheeselinks.com.au/book.html

This place also sells the rennet, cultures and moulds that you will need.

I use my stainless pot on the stove for hitting the right temps and a large knife to cut up the curd, a collinder to drain the whey off

I use large stormwater drain cut into rounds for the hoops, cheese cloth is easy to find at spotlight etc.

A rectangular cake tin wedged towards the bottom of a foam brocolli box with some water in the bottom to create a humid environment, put the foam lid on and put this inside your ferment fridge and dial up the temperature you want to mature your cheese at.

Hard cheese require a press and it can be as simple as an empty large 'tin' can with a weight on the cheese or you can purchase one.

Same as brewing, be clean and use temperature control.

You can choose to pasturise or not. I haven't used supermarket 'milk' for cheese making, I think it needs something added back to it like calcium chloride. I have a good friend at Langhorne Creek that has a dairy. I get my milk from him. For the best results find a dairy farmer and offer to purchase some milk from them, considering how much they get ripped off by national foods etc, they will probably just give you 20L or so, but do offer to pay for it, they are really struggling.

I am also happy to field any questions. I taught myself when I was at uni. The best cheeses I have made, by a long way have been un-pasturised. Please be very careful and clean, listeria can be quite dangerous with cheese. Maybe Darren can make a post on the dangers of the micro spoilage of cheese and what to look for.
I look for any irregular mould growth, sometimes I just cut it out, sometimes I will ditch the whole cheese.

Kirk

WOW, AHB members are a VERY versatile lot! :)

Cheers
Andrew

sorry screwtop I didn't see your earlier post, I repeated some of the info.

Happy to swap cheeses with any of you if you are interested.

Blessed are the cheesemakers, for they provide the ultimate accompaniment to beer :D

i'm sure Kai would be another good source of cheese info.
we used to make our own butter as well.
there's nothing like real home produce.

sorry screwtop I didn't see your earlier post, I repeated some of the info.

Happy to swap cheeses with any of you if you are interested.

Blessed are the cheesemakers, for they provide the ultimate accompaniment to beer :D

Have been brewing hard for 12 months and not made any in that time, back into it soon, happy to swap, heat and Aust Post could be a problem.

Have any of you vine ashed your soft whites? For the Tassie guys - near Woodbridge south of Hobart there is a sheep cheeserie called Grandviewe. They make a wine washed rind hard cheese from sheep milk that is fantastic, think they wash it daily in Merlot. The red colour makes it's way in through the rind for about 3 mm.

out of contol...

Mexican wants chilli king crown

A Mexican cabbie is searching for a world body to crown him king of the raw chilli eaters.

Manuel Quiroz can guzzle down dozens of Mexico's spiciest chillies, rub them on his skin and even squeeze their juice into his eyes without as much as blinking.

SMH Chilleater article linky

mexicochilli_narrowweb__300x442,0.jpg

Wholesale nutbaggery! :blink:

Madness :eek:

I used to work with a bunch of Mexicans in Florida. They would just sit there at lunch with a sandwich in one hand and in the other was a packet full of birds eye chillies, one of those sandwich bag sizes. Per person. Munch a few chillis while eating the sandwich, then just finish the chillis off one by one :blink:

I made a basic hard cheese in November 06 and will definately make more in the future. The process was a lot easier than I anticipated and the cheese was delicious. I used full cream milk and fortified the protein/fat content with a bit of cream, for the starter culture I used cultured buttermilk and for rennet I used a flavourless Junket tablet.

I will have a bash at a blue cheese next and I'm thinking a culture of blue mould spores could easily be propogated from a piece of purchased blue cheese or would the cell count be too low?

Give it a go but be super hygienic and as with salami making, add salt as per the recipe or you're asking for trouble.

Cheers
Chilla

Back