90 Min Boil Or 60 Min

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raul777

Reaction score
just wondering the what a 90 min boil does to the overall taste, as some of the recipes i have come across have 90 min boils for a 23 Lt batch ?

just asked a "Dr Carl" question didn't I. 'How come the moon looks bigger on a full moon closer to the horizon'?

Think i got it most of the recipes have the one thing in common pilsner malt, needs more time to convert.

and one of the latest threads was not even a month ago HERE. A couple of good posts there from TB as well.

cheers again the recipe i was looking at had 90 min mash and 90 min boil and has all pilsner grains but brewed at 18 deg instead of the low pilsner temps. guessing the longer mash and boil time is for the type of grain used. have only been brewing all grain for 4 years now always brewing the same 2 recipes(golden ale , cascade ale) . Since acquiring some equipment and a chest freezer (for fermenting) I am trying new styles of beer just did a kolsch and it was drinkable.

In one of the threads linked in the first response is an article link. The post with the link is by MHB and is called 'the functions of wort boiling'.
I tried to find it recently (I believe it's hosted at the ibd website)but could only find the abstract. MHB's link has the full article and it is well worth reading. More than just hop bitterness and dms removal going on, as important as those two are.
2 styles in 4 years?
You got some catching up to do. Hopefully you have those two down pat by now.

How the hell did you only brew 2 recipes for the last 4 years. I'm impressed.

In one of the threads linked in the first response is an article link. The post with the link is by MHB and is called 'the functions of wort boiling'.
I tried to find it recently (I believe it's hosted at the ibd website)but could only find the abstract. MHB's link has the full article and it is well worth reading. More than just hop bitterness and dms removal going on, as important as those two are.
2 styles in 4 years?
You got some catching up to do. Hopefully you have those two down pat by now.
I think this might be the one

PDF article link

cheers

How the hell did you only brew 2 recipes for the last 4 years. I'm impressed.

raul777 - would it be possible to see what recipe's you have for the golden and cascade ale? they must be finely tuned to keep brewing them for 4 years....far out....lol.

:eek:

I've brewed the same reciepe (ESB) for about 5 years. A few batches each year.

I've yet to get it the same each time. The focus is on fine tuning the process.
I find the process variation has the greatest impact on flavour.

after all this time I've yet to nail it. But i'm getting closer!

I've brewed the same reciepe (ESB) for about 5 years. A few batches each year.

I've yet to get it the same each time. The focus is on fine tuning the process.
I find the process variation has the greatest impact on flavour.

after all this time I've yet to nail it. But i'm getting closer!

I never make and mistakes as I prepare my beers vs a receipe.
I do variations.... :p

At least thats what I tell myself when the same reciepe never tastes the same.

Cheers,
D80

Latest posts

Back