90 min boil on BB pale?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RelaxedBrewer

Reaction score
I picked up a sack of Barrett Burston Pale in a bulk buy recently. Is it recommended to do a 90 min boil to reduce DMS with this malt as it is with pilsner?

Yeah, I does help reduce DMS. I have found It also benefits from a 90min mash aswell.

Definitely a long mash benefits. As to DMS I have never encountered it after five years of AG and many hundreds of brews.

Yeah, I did 60min boils for the first few years of AG with pils malt and never noticed anything that tasted like DMS. I do 90 now, but not because of DMS issues.

Thanks guys,

I ended up boiling for ~1hr15. On a side note I also got my highest efficiency ever. Not sure if it wash the change of mash steps to mash a little longer or the malt.
Do other people get a high efficiency when using this malt?

You should not be getting any DMS with that Pale malt even with a 30min boil. I believe you will only get it with the lightest of the light kilned pilsner malts.

Apart from DMS reduction, what else do you achieve from a 90 min boil vs 60 mins, apart from a higher gas or electricity bill ?

Pale and pilsner malts are pretty much the same thing from BB. With high modified malts today dms is not really a massive problem

Goose said:
Apart from DMS reduction, what else do you achieve from a 90 min boil vs 60 mins, apart from a higher gas or electricity bill ?
I read it on the internet so it must be true, that's why I do it.

mje1980 said:
Yeah, I did 60min boils for the first few years of AG with pils malt and never noticed anything that tasted like DMS. I do 90 now, but not because of DMS issues.
What is the reason your doing 90 minute boils now then?

Thanks

Wort concentration is probably the main reason to do a 90min boil IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like to get a good violent boil before adding the hops, so I was boiling for 75 anyway, so I just went to 90 mins. I can't notice a difference in 60vs90 in flavour aroma colour etc but I just like to do it that way. Preference I guess.

Latest posts

Back