9 gallon XXXX cask. My Precioussssssssssss

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Xxxx cask.jpg

Visiting the Granite Belt and strolling down the street in Stanthorpe a few hours ago.
There it was outside an op shop.
Heavy duty SS perfect condition 1970s specimen of cask loveliness.

My wallet was a blur as I ripped my thigh open extracting it.
It will heal.

Last time I saw a nine was in 1978 at a wedding. They were the baby bro of the kegs still used in pubs before going to the can o beans shape in the 80s.

Note the spile hole, you would order it via a pub for a wedding or sports day and it would arrive from XXXX charged with unpasteurized XXXX lightly pressured to a good CO2 volume. Pop it onto a trestle on its side and control serve using spile peg.

I'll be bringing this up to Winkles case swap full of bright Yorkie. Need to determine thread pitch for a tap of course.

Off for a wank now. Cheers.

Nice score Bribie. Just one thing, whilst having your way with yourself, please aim away from the keg. I know you like a salt addition to your bitters but that is a bit OTT IMO.

Bribie G said:
attachicon.gif
Xxxx cask.jpg

Visiting the Granite Belt and strolling down the street in Stanthorpe a few hours ago.

It will heal.

Last time I saw a nine was in 1978 at a wedding. They were the baby bro of the kegs still used in pubs before going to the can o beans shape in the 80s.

Note the spile hole, you would order it via a pub for a wedding or sports day and it would arrive from XXXX charged with unpasteurized XXXX lightly pressured to a good CO2 volume. Pop it onto a trestle on its side and control serve using spile peg.

I'll be bringing this up to Winkles case swap full of bright Yorkie. Need to determine thread pitch for a tap of course.

What were you doing in my home town?

one of my first workplace dinks was with a 'pig' of this size... brikkies labourer in the 80's..

lets just say I was helped through the door

Wonderful score there Bribie! The spank should take the edge off the minor wallet discomfort for new trousers and wound dressings as the sale price for that cask was excellent.

Is this what is known as a Firkin? IIRC, it holds about 40L, equates with your 9 gallon value, I thought it was a Firkin but happy to be corrected.

FWIW, we had a couple in our dairy, after scoring them cheaply at a scrap merchant they were specifically adapted for that purpose- sadly carbonation isn't needed for milk packaging so they were modified with the top cut out, de- spiled and a drain welded in to the other end. I've been meaning to turn one into a kettle for yonks, the tapered sides have been putting me off for bag mashing, but shouldn't present a serious problem.

Bribie G said:
attachicon.gif
Xxxx cask.jpg

It will heal.

Nice score Bribie, I have an old 5 gallon in great condition as well. I've had it for several years and done nothing with it, be interested to see your bright Yorkie for some inspiration.
I remember my brother and his mates getting a 5 gallon keg for a party many times when I was young.

I'm home now and working out what the tap hole is.

It's just a little bit small to take a Micromatic / Perlick thread tap. Almost the same size but the thread won't even start. Probably an old imperial thread?

However to my surprise it takes a FV Bunnings style plastic tap perfectly. However that looks ridiculously pov.

I'd bet an old Side basher tap of the same era would fit nicely if I could get one.

Anyone know exactly what the thread and hole dimensions are on a normal two buck Bunnings tap? because that's the size I need.

I'm thinking of getting some rubber bungs for the spile hole, which is smooth and unthreaded, then fit one of them with a gas-in post and buy a keg charger running on sodastream, not to pressure serve but to keep the headspace pure CO2.

Bribie G said:
I'm home now and working out what the tap hole is.

It's just a little bit small to take a Micromatic / Perlick thread tap. Almost the same size but the thread won't even start. Probably an old imperial thread?

However to my surprise it takes a FV Bunnings style plastic tap perfectly. However that looks ridiculously pov.

I'd bet an old Side basher tap of the same era would fit nicely if I could get one.

Anyone know exactly what the thread and hole dimensions are on a normal two buck Bunnings tap? because that's the size I need.

I'm thinking of getting some rubber bungs for the spile hole, which is smooth and unthreaded, then fit one of them with a gas-in post and buy a keg charger running on sodastream, not to pressure serve but to keep the headspace pure CO2.
I'll go have a look but I bet it's B.S.P. I have a set of thread gauges.

[SIZE=11pt]What size is the shive hole, would a UK shive fit? I don’t think a rubber bung would take the pressure of carbonation. If UK shives don’t fit you could get someone with a wood lathe to make some easy enough. I think UK shive holes are about 2" or 2 1/4” but can’t check that till tomorrow. [/SIZE]

3/4" BSP that's fine of course. :p

Also to keep the headspace topped up with co2 you can simply use a polypin filled with co2. That’s what I’ve been doing lately with cubes. I posted a picture in the polypin thread post #82.

Thanks guys, currently following up with Anthony at CB to see if they have an adaptor.
S.E. I saw your design and seriously thinking of going that way, just a matter of harvesting CO2, may have to go back to a modified airlock thingo :huh: My clingwrap will hate me.

My shive hole is bang on 2"

Here's my 5 gallon one. Yes shive hole is bang on 2" tappered

zzz1.jpg

Not the bung hole, the threaded tap hole. That's 3/4 BSP.
The bung I can turn up out of a piece of scrap nylon easy azz. Tough enough to hit in with a mallet.

Well after holidays anyway.

Batz said:
Not the bung hole, the threaded tap hole. That's 3/4 BSP.
The bung I can turn up out of a piece of scrap nylon easy azz. Tough enough to hit in with a mallet.

Well after holidays anyway.
I think welly 2 wanted something turned up in nylon, part of his beer engine he was restoring or it was Danwood

S.E. I take it I'd have to get soft and hard shives from the UK?

Latest posts

Back