8 weeks in the primary - paint thinner smells

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linkn

Reaction score
I got lazy and coupled with detoxing off the booze for a while I've left a Vienna Lager in the primary for 8 weeks. It's actually a Vienna Golden Chili Lager with a whole bunch of chilis (added to boil and after 3 days) plus some carapils speciality grain.

Problem is that I have just taken off the lid and my initial thought was "paint thinner". Very strong alcohol flavour. I'm guessing this is a result of the autolysis of the yeast trub but not sure.

Question is should I bottle it up anyway or is it gone? Any ways to save it?

Chees

Have a taste and if seems ok bottle. What temp has it been sitting at for the 8 weeks?

I'm in Sydney so it's been pretty cold. No more than 18 degrees with an average of 16 i'd guess.

@Prince - is acetobacter a bad thing? A quick read tells me what it but not if it's safe to drink (assuming it tastes Ok)

Acetobacter is what makes vinegar - if it IS that, then it won't be drinkable (though it's almost certainly very good for you. Google the health benefits of apple cider vinegar).

If it's fusels it is probably a result of fermentation at too warm-a-temp. What yeast did you use? 16-18 is high for a lager & if you pitched even warmer it's quite likely to be the culprit. If you've got fusels you can look forward to some utterly fucked hangovers (well, headaches), even after just a beer or two. You could always bottle & see how it pans out?

There is a fairly long list of what could be the exact problem/problems, nearly all of them are caused by sitting in the fermenter for too long and the bad news is its a tipper, there is no way to un-**** an ex-virgin or to in this case undo the harm caused.
The most common product described as paint thinner is Ethyl Acetate, made by yeast, when stressed, under-pitched, brewing too hot, high gravity and ageing.
Yeast can over time reduce the ester, but we are looking at about a year in bottle for reduction of moderate levels of ethyl acetate to acceptable levels.

Were the cause Acetobacter there would be a fairly healthy pellicle growing on the beer, (looks like a jelly blubber floating on top) and as the reaction requires O2 there would have to be a fairly large amount of contact with air and the beer would be oxidised beyond help anyway.

Tipp it and make another brew and look after it properly
Mark

Latest posts

Back