8 weeks in the primary - paint thinner smells

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linkn

Reaction score
I got lazy and coupled with detoxing off the booze for a while I've left a Vienna Lager in the primary for 8 weeks. It's actually a Vienna Golden Chili Lager with a whole bunch of chilis (added to boil and after 3 days) plus some carapils speciality grain.

Problem is that I have just taken off the lid and my initial thought was "paint thinner". Very strong alcohol flavour. I'm guessing this is a result of the autolysis of the yeast trub but not sure.

Question is should I bottle it up anyway or is it gone? Any ways to save it?

Chees

Have a taste and if seems ok bottle. What temp has it been sitting at for the 8 weeks?

I'm in Sydney so it's been pretty cold. No more than 18 degrees with an average of 16 i'd guess.

@Prince - is acetobacter a bad thing? A quick read tells me what it but not if it's safe to drink (assuming it tastes Ok)

Acetobacter is what makes vinegar - if it IS that, then it won't be drinkable (though it's almost certainly very good for you. Google the health benefits of apple cider vinegar).

If it's fusels it is probably a result of fermentation at too warm-a-temp. What yeast did you use? 16-18 is high for a lager & if you pitched even warmer it's quite likely to be the culprit. If you've got fusels you can look forward to some utterly fucked hangovers (well, headaches), even after just a beer or two. You could always bottle & see how it pans out?

There is a fairly long list of what could be the exact problem/problems, nearly all of them are caused by sitting in the fermenter for too long and the bad news is its a tipper, there is no way to un-**** an ex-virgin or to in this case undo the harm caused.
The most common product described as paint thinner is Ethyl Acetate, made by yeast, when stressed, under-pitched, brewing too hot, high gravity and ageing.
Yeast can over time reduce the ester, but we are looking at about a year in bottle for reduction of moderate levels of ethyl acetate to acceptable levels.

Were the cause Acetobacter there would be a fairly healthy pellicle growing on the beer, (looks like a jelly blubber floating on top) and as the reaction requires O2 there would have to be a fairly large amount of contact with air and the beer would be oxidised beyond help anyway.

Tipp it and make another brew and look after it properly
Mark

Back