75 Degree Mash

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dc59

Reaction score
Hey people just wondering what I can expect from the last brew I made. It spent the majority of the time mashing at 75*C. By the way it was a kit and 1.5kg of grain combo.

Thanks for any advice.

Good day
I mashed a no sparge dunkel at 75oc, out of whack thermometer. When I realised the error at the end of the mash I decided to sparge the mash and make a bock. Best bock I ever made (1st strong lager NSW, 2nd Australia). So don't worry.

I guess that answers your question :rolleyes:

What style of beer were you making? what was the recipe?

Kabooby :)

One thing I assume it'd have is a very heavy body (and you might get that yourself from drinking it).

Using a highly attenuative yeast would help balance that.

The great thing about doing partial mashes over kits, if you muck it up (75 mash is way too high) the result will still be ok.

The kit will provide the bulk of the fermentables, plus bittering.

1.5 kg of grain will add maybe 500-700 gms of fermentables to your brew.

Make sure you took good notes, so next time, you will know how hot to make your strike water.

Mashing too high makes for long chain malt sugars that your yeast cannot consume. 75 is really pushing the boundaries as it is destroying the mash enzymes.

Next time, aim for 65 and try and use 2 kg of grain. I did alot of partials over kits and this amount worked well.

Although to further complicate things, a lot of the higher quality kits are rather high in unfermentable dextrins to make up for the large amount of simple sugars they recommend brewers add.

Adding to what pint'o was saying - if your 1.5kg of grain was in fact a variety of crystal or cara type malt, it will convert just as well at that temp since you're actually steeping.

Still gonna be a very full-bodied brew though; nice and chewy :icon_cheers:

Hey thanks everyone for your replies to this. I posted that just before I went to work and completely forgot to check in on it again, only found it by accident looking for Dunkel recipes(So a big thanks to Barry from me for using the magic word)

Agreed Pints of Lager, I only did 4 brews with this method (kit plus mini mash) and by the end was using 2kg as it was a good amount to use to produce a full strength beer(~5%). Ended up controling temps by preheating an oven and once the mash had reached 67C on stove I would stick it in the oven for an hour. Notice some people use a small esky like an AG brew which seems like a better idea.

Anyway the brew turned out to be one of my worst, but after a few weeks in the keg has turned out drinkable at least. And the lesson I learnt from all this, Don't Mash At 75C.

Also Kabboby it was an APA and yes B&T your right, I have trouble finishing my dinner after a glass of it.
Thanks for help people, Dave :)

The great thing about doing partial mashes over kits, if you muck it up (75 mash is way too high) the result will still be ok.

The kit will provide the bulk of the fermentables, plus bittering.

1.5 kg of grain will add maybe 500-700 gms of fermentables to your brew.

Make sure you took good notes, so next time, you will know how hot to make your strike water.

Mashing too high makes for long chain malt sugars that your yeast cannot consume. 75 is really pushing the boundaries as it is destroying the mash enzymes.

Next time, aim for 65 and try and use 2 kg of grain. I did alot of partials over kits and this amount worked well.

I have just ordered 2kg of JWM traditional ale to add to a Coopers Wheat kit instead of the DME. How much water would I need to use for the mini mash with the 2kg of grain?

have just ordered 2kg of JWM traditional ale to add to a Coopers Wheat kit instead of the DME. How much water would I need to use for the mini mash with the 2kg of grain?

2.5-3L/Kgs
say 5-6 L
Then the same to rinse.
10 litres of wort.

make sure you mash it the full 60 minutes...

Mantis, the most common water to grain ratio is 2.5-3:1 so something like 5-6L of water should be about right.

I'd just suggest using some wheat malt for a wheat beer instead of the trad ale to get more of the standard flavours of that kind of beer. The trad ale won't be wrong though if you want to experiment.

Mantis, the most common water to grain ratio is 2.5-3:1 so something like 5-6L of water should be about right.

I'd just suggest using some wheat malt for a wheat beer instead of the trad ale to get more of the standard flavours of that kind of beer. The trad ale won't be wrong though if you want to experiment.

Thanks guys.
I am drinking a Coopers wheat at the moment that I did with 1kg of LDME and 300g dex and loving it. I was just hoping to try replacing the LDME with the mash as my first go at grains.
The other option is a Coopers sparkling ale kit and use it to replace the 1.5kg of LME that is recommend for the kit.

I'd keep the ale malt for the sparkling ale. Or use half of it with 1kg of wheat malt for the wheat beer. I'm sure you'll be able to tell the difference when you start using some grain in your brews. :super:

I'd keep the ale malt for the sparkling ale. Or use half of it with 1kg of wheat malt for the wheat beer. I'm sure you'll be able to tell the difference when you start using some grain in your brews. :super:

I havent even started down the grain track yet, but I can feel the pull from the dark side already :ph34r:

Back