7 Hills "beer Factory" New Enterprise?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd say yes. Legally, the customers are making the beer or they would have to pay excise on the beer. Kit brewers control various aspects of fermentation, temp, yeast etc, as well as adding hops/grains to the basic kit.

Legally, the customers are making the beer or they would have to pay excise on the beer.

They do pay excise - at a reduced rate. The actual classification is 'non-commercial beer produced on commercial equipement'. The ATO considers that the brewer is hiring the equipment from the BOP in order for them to make their beer. As alcohol is being produced in commercial premises, excise must be paid.

These sorts of ventures have been around for at least 20 years but never seem to do much business.

HTH,

David

wow, for $150 we could go there and 'brew' about 4-5 cartons of VB!!!

thats a bargain at about $30 a carton!!!!!!!

"If you want to make VB or Corona, you can."
-is this the best he could come up with to make people interested or is this the best he can do... VB, EB, MB, TB, RB, etc etc.

Sounds very interesting I might have to pop my head in for a peek.

@ $150 sounds very expensive + addatives.

Would rather spend $150 and convert to a AG setup

150 bucks for 50 litres where can you buy 1 litre of beer for three bucks ?

Is it beer :huh:

Whats malt extract :blink:

Dont everyone make beer with grains ??? :unsure:

Pumpy :)

I just popped him a PM asking him to clarify his position.

Looks like "Church Boys" blog has attracted a couple of posts as well.He He.....
Maybe we should Advertise AHB on his blog as way of introducing potential brewers to the real brewing experience!

"Maybe we should Advertise AHB on his blog "

Now there's an idea!!!

Well we all have something these guys dont have.Award winning recipes that we share and dont charge $150 bucks for and fridges/sealed coolrooms that arent stuck on 16.5 degrees.And we know how to brew that our mates are envious of.No i dont need a BOP visit to learn how to brew the real/your way.

Cheers
Big D

And be warned reading and delving into his blog as i have just done.It takes you to the other side. :blink:
I bags the spice rack.

Hi Guys, I stumbled across this thread late last night and thought I would take the opportunity to reply.
I am the owner and manager of The Beer Factory Seven Hills that Dan visited and commented on (although my name is Stuart not Luke!).
Firstly, as he stated, the author of the original entry has no affiliation with us, although we obviously appreciate his observations and positive comments - which reflect the experience of most people who have visited us.
Our aim is to offer anyone who loves a beer a great range, a unique experience, and open the broader publics eyes to the range of possibilities that exist beyond the obligatory slab of VB or New - at a price that is more than affordable, and encourage involvement in creating their own beer rather than simply buying from the large grocery chain box movers!
If you are a dedicated full mash brewer, OBVIOUSLY this is not for aimed at you. Having said that, after working at Lion Nathan for many years, I have spoken to more than enough beer drinkers to realise there are many many guys out there who are passionate about experiencing more from the incredible world of beer, but don't have the time or resources to indulge.
Whilst we do not go through the mashing stage (it is possible but as you know adds additional time, complexity and potential for variability for the novice brewer), the quality and standard of our ingredients and equipment speak for themselves. I will happily stand by the quality, freshness and taste of the beers produced here any day!!
The feedback from visitors and customers has been incredible which is very rewarding.
We are a small family owned, standalone business committed to raising interest and involvement in brewing and tasting great beers, and obviously invite anyone who is truly interested in enjoying a good beer to come and visit us.

Cheers, Stuart Boag
The Beer Factory Seven Hills

and open the broader publics eyes to the range of possibilities that exist beyond the obligatory slab of VB or New - at a price that is more than affordable,

but the only clones you name that you can produce are VB and corona. and for $150 for 5 cartons, this is not really more affordable at all. $30 a carton is a little cheaper but a special and liquor land could probably hit that.

i dont mean to be taking the piss but you do contradict yourself.

But then, I am also yet to be convinced that it is a valid thing to enter kit-based beer in comps. Do cake comps accept entries made from cake mixes? This is not meant to denigrate kit brewing, just to suggest that I have my doubts about it as a thing to base a competition around. I know that is an argument I'll never win though, so hold your flame-throwers.

Steve

My experience with kit beers is they can vary hugely depending on how the fermentation is managed. I think that's sufficient merit for competition standard.

Hi Stuart,

Glad you came and clarified. You must understand our cynicism and even acrimony when a new member posts nothing but a link to a blog about a new venture. AHB is pretty quick at pulling up the spammers and sharks and this thread had all the signs of a spammer. Hell, we still haven't heard a second peep out of Finsup.

All the best with your new business. Maybe you'd like to hang around a bit and get some ideas for new recipes? :D

Cheers,
PoMo.

On the subject of allowing kit based brews into competitions,
if any brewer can win a prize in a comp with a kit then they must be doing enough to alter the kit to earn the prize.

After just one year of doing mostly 'just kits' I have sworn off brewing this way. My brews are now what I am calling 'kit plus' and some of the results bear absolutely no resemblence to the original kit.

Trouble is I still have about 50 litres of basically tasteless kit beer in the cupboard that will make good lawn mowing beer and the lawn isn't growing very fast at the moment.

A guy across the road started brewing at Xmas, and I dutifully made nice remarks about his beer that tasted much like apple cider. When I gave him one of my "Golden Ale" that was neatly hopped and brewed with liquid malts and golden syrup his eyes nearly popped out of his head with enthusiasm. He was using the same kits as me, but the results were vastly different. Kits are basically bittered malt extract with insufficient flavouring or aroma hops to make a really decent beer.

Morning Guys,
Tseay, our opening hours are 11-7 week days, 9 - 4 on Saturday (closed Sunday - you need one day to focus on drinking!)
Ash, We have a range of about 80 - 90 beers that are similar to commercial ones. Interestingly (and pleasingly) most people are going for the imported premium range - Itallian Pilsner, Cream Ale, Belgians etc). The actual prices range from $135 (VB, Extra Dry types), to $150 for the imported premium types per brew - and if you count 330ml bottles you get 6 cartons. The prices are fairly attractive, but the main thing is to get guys into the experience and trying something different.
PoMo, thanks for that - always keen to develop and improve what we offer.
Cheers Stuart Boag The Beer Factory Seven Hills

On the subject of allowing kit based brews into competitions,
if any brewer can win a prize in a comp with a kit then they must be doing enough to alter the kit to earn the prize.

After just one year of doing mostly 'just kits' I have sworn off brewing this way. My brews are now what I am calling 'kit plus' and some of the results bear absolutely no resemblence to the original kit.

Trouble is I still have about 50 litres of basically tasteless kit beer in the cupboard that will make good lawn mowing beer and the lawn isn't growing very fast at the moment.

A guy across the road started brewing at Xmas, and I dutifully made nice remarks about his beer that tasted much like apple cider. When I gave him one of my "Golden Ale" that was neatly hopped and brewed with liquid malts and golden syrup his eyes nearly popped out of his head with enthusiasm. He was using the same kits as me, but the results were vastly different. Kits are basically bittered malt extract with insufficient flavouring or aroma hops to make a really decent beer.

Robbo, we'll see how we go with the kit part of the comp. Bear in mind that an important part of any comp is providing feedback to the brewer as to how they can improve. If a kit brewer is interested enough to enter a comp then she/he is ready to join the dark side.

A mate of mine used one here in Brisbane while setting up his first homebrew attempts.

He made an Irish Red Ale.

Now it was a tasty beer with a nice hop level and good malt taste.

But it wasn't red!

It wasn't even light red, or approaching amber. In fact it was quite pale.

They had basically given him pale extract with a little bit of crystal I think.

Having said that it sure did get drunk quickly...

Robbomac...
How much Golden Syrup do you use..????????????
I made a double batch of Faaarmland Lager Golden syrup malt corn syrup dextrose ..
Accidently added too much water(borrowed the fermenter)..
Got 150 stubbies ,,instead of 120....
Turned out Very Nice,,,,,,,,
PJ

Latest posts

Back