60 year old stout anyone!?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishy

Reaction score
Just having a look through a bunch of old stuff that was my grandparents which my mum hung on to. Found this bad boy!

My grandparents became publicans after WWII and they kept a few things from their time around pubs in Australia - not much left of it now except this and a few other bits and bobs.

Unopened bottle of Guinness released in celebration of the 1953 coronation of Queen Elizabeth II.
Awesome label, sweet bottle, great little piece of history.

Thought it was pretty cool and thought you guys might appreciate it too!

So now the question...how does it taste? Well it's lost a bit of its hop profile and it doesn't pour a proper he-- haha just kidding :p
I'm not sure 60 years would have done this one any favours!!

Cheers

Fishy

WP_20130816_006 (Medium).jpg

WP_20130816_007 (Medium).jpg

WP_20130816_001 (Medium).jpg

WP_20130816_002 (Medium).jpg

WP_20130816_004 (Medium).jpg

WP_20130816_008 (Medium).jpg

Thats rad man.

I wonder if its actually worth anything, or if someone would pay anything for it....

Probably oxidized to the shithouse.
Put it on gumtree..

If it was me.....curiosity would get the better of me and I'd give it a go.

I'd wager its got a fair bit of value to it though, both sentimental and financial.

Send the pics off the company HQ in Dublin. Ask them if they have a bottle in their museum/historical collection. Yours might be the last one - might buy it off you.

would say at least worth $200 , do some research , email Guinness and ask what they think ? covers a few interests, could go quite high at auction .

I wouldn't sell it , that's a very nice heirloom .

Imagine it would be worth a lot more unopened so we will probable never know what it taste like. Awesome find though the bottle alone looks amazing. Being a Guinness I would imagine there would be a few Guinness memorabilia collectors who would love that.

Be nice for your great grandkids to see a label under the bottle in the Guiness Storehouse in Dublin reading;

Commemorative Bottle for the Coronation of QEII
On loan from the Fishy Family Collection

on the other hand...

Irish brewery, English Monarch...methinks there could be a measure of some bodily fluid in that batch.

:p

BTW - is there any significance in the label stating

Bottled by Guinness Exports Liverpool

?

Was Guinness transported to the UK and then bottled for export?

Yeah not sure kevo, that does seem a bit odd. Might have to do some digging around the net about it - send Guinness an email and see what they can tell me about it perhaps.

I like the idea of keeping it around, maybe having it up on a shelf in a home bar one day!

I drunk a 12 year old can of Mackeson's sweet stout, Sweet Sherry, very oxidised. I had Mad diarrhoea about 3 hours later

Awesome, if you get it valued update us will you Fishy. I couldn't even begin to guess what it would fetch so it'd be cool to find out. Will you be hitting Guinness up for a response?

From just googling the bottle and seeing what has come up, someone said (a year ago) that this is only worth around 80 bucks ish, but would sell for probably half of that. No real source but the consensus is that these are not so rare.

I get the feeling that my grandparents and a lot of other people at the time thought this would be a collectors item and stashed some away! Sending Guinness an email today to get a little more info about it.

Also someone mentioned elsewhere that they remembered the display room at the Guinness storeroom in Dublin where they have hundred of bottles from their history on display, many a lot older than this one. I don't remember seeing that display room (a few too many Guinness' in the sky bar perhaps?)

Anyone here who has been there remember that display??

yeah they do, pretty much every type of bottle they have ever made is on display on the tour
this is a pic I took of just one of the many display cases
100_0639 (800x600).jpg

but that's what you would expect from any good brewery tour, their tour probably being the best in the world ! its ******* amazing, if your ever in Dublin you just have to do it ! the whole tour is inside a pint glass , spiritually, physically and finally . the sky bar being the cream on the top, I nearly cried of joy and the end of the tour :rolleyes:

I still think your bottle is worth a lot and would keep it . maybe make a cool old looking wooden display box for it ?
please post when they get back to you .

northside novice said:
yeah they do, pretty much every type of bottle they have ever made is on display on the tour
this is a pic I took of just one of the many display cases
100_0639 (800x600).jpg

but that's what you would expect from any good brewery tour, their tour probably being the best in the world ! its ******* amazing, if your ever in Dublin you just have to do it ! the whole tour is inside a pint glass , spiritually, physically and finally . the sky bar being the cream on the top, I nearly cried of joy and the end of the tour :rolleyes:

I still think your bottle is worth a lot and would keep it . maybe make a cool old looking wooden display box for it ?
please post when they get back to you .
Did you pour your own pint at the end of the tour? I managed to get an average shamrock in the head, agreed about the tour. Oh and we went to Jamieson brewery also, that was good too...

This thread reminds me of the unopened bottle of suntory rare 21 from 1960. My guess is that it's worth thousands because I have only seen one picture/reference of this batch during years of searching.

Latest posts

Back