6 Months Till Stout Season - Recipe Recommedations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclessia

Reaction score
Hi All,

So after playing with my calendar last night I realised that it's 6 months until winter AKA stout season.

So I'm looking for recipe recommendations/suggestions for an Imperial Stout and another (possibly oatmeal) Stout.

For the Imperial Stout I'm going to model it on the 8 Wires iStout:

Hops: Southern Cross, Chinook, Cascade
Malt: Pale, Crystal, CaraAroma, Chocolate, Carafa Special 1, Oat and Roasted Barley
Yeast: Wyeast 1272 - All american Ale
IBU: 70
ABV: 10%

I'm brewing BIAB in a Crown Urn so I'm going to have to beef this one up with an extract - Should I just swap out the pale for a can or two?

For the other stout I was thinking of modelling it on the Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout - not sure where to start with that one - but if anyone has a cracker stout recipe (approx ABV 6%) yell out.

With both I'm shooting for a thick, heavy, velvety brew.

Any if anyone has any words of for a long time stout drinker and first time stout brewer I'd love to hear it.

Cheers

Mat

Here's a Samuel Smith oatmeal stout recipe i've made before with excellent results. It's not my recipe, & don't recall where it came from, but it turned out great! Might be best to wait a bit til winter's closer before you make it though, as ageing it didn't seem to help much past 2-3 months, & declined a bit after 3-4 months...

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout
Brewer: mikk
Asst Brewer:
Style: Oatmeal Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 20.00 L
Boil Size: 24.08 L
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 28.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 33.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.70 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 84.09 %
0.35 kg Oats, Malted (1.0 SRM) Grain 7.95 %
0.22 kg Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 %
0.13 kg Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 2.95 %
32.00 gm Fuggles [3.90 %] (90 min) Hops 16.3 IBU
22.00 gm Challenger [6.10 %] (90 min) Hops 17.5 IBU
1 Pkgs premium gold (Muntons) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 4.40 kg
----------------------------
My Mash
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
0 min mash in Add 0.00 L of water at 66.0 C 66.0 C
90 min Step 1 Add 0.00 L of water at 66.0 C 66.0 C
15 min mash out Add 0.00 L of water at 78.0 C 78.0 C

Notes:
------
actual grain = Bairds pale ale 3.7kg, chocolate malt UK .22 kg, black malt UK .132, pale oats UK .353kg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's stout season all year round here :icon_chickcheers:

Try the 3 and 4 shades of stout in the recipe DB for dry/oatmeal stouts.

I haven't brewed the shades of stout recipes yet, but they look mighty tasty. Will be brewing, most likely the 4, over the Christmas break to be ready for winter

2 tins Coopers Stout
kilo LDME
kilo DEX
half a handful of hops (Cascade, anything) as dry hops.

Some sort of yeast, Liquid Wyeast UK style works well.

AABC 2009 class 12 Strong Stout place: 6

Drink responsibly and consult AA if confusion persists :icon_drunk:

So after playing with my calendar last night I realised that it's 6 months until winter AKA stout season.

So I'm looking for recipe recommendations/suggestions for an Imperial Stout and another (possibly oatmeal) Stout.

been thinking similar dark thoughts for xmas break brewing
Bribie, how far have you pushed your crown urn in relation to high gravity boils @20 litres

been thinking similar dark thoughts for xmas break brewing
Bribie, how far have you pushed your crown urn in relation to high gravity boils @20 litres

I did a 8.8% AG Black IPA (7kg of grain) in a 40L crown urn, but that was dangerously full and my batch came in about 2L less than usual.

Thanks for the input lads. The 3 shades and the Sam Smith oatmeal look good - I might have to do your's too Bribie - of comparisons sake <_<

With the IMP stout - I think I'm going to have to use some extract to beef it up - I simply don't have room for 10kg of grain in a 40L urn - so am I best to replace the pale malt with light/pale malt extract? If so how many kg of extract would eb equivalent to 8kg of pale malt?

eclessia, Im thinking of going off Jamils imperial stout, he uses about 6.5% RB and 4.5% choc,
http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/Jamil/Jamils...perialStout.htm
like your idea of extract to lift the SG (and not break my voile bag)

I made an Oatmeal stout last year using recultured coopers yeast, which I thought worked pretty well,
1kg oats in a 5 kg grain bill, might go 1.5kg this year

I did a 8.8% AG Black IPA (7kg of grain) in a 40L crown urn, but that was dangerously full and my batch came in about 2L less than usual.

Thanks for the input lads. The 3 shades and the Sam Smith oatmeal look good - I might have to do your's too Bribie - of comparisons sake <_<

With the IMP stout - I think I'm going to have to use some extract to beef it up - I simply don't have room for 10kg of grain in a 40L urn - so am I best to replace the pale malt with light/pale malt extract? If so how many kg of extract would eb equivalent to 8kg of pale malt?

I'd say 3.5 tins, but your software should be able to convert this

With acceptable efficiency I reckon around 7.5 - 8 % is about the best you can hope for with an urn and bog standard BIAB. However you can do a sparge on the side or even dump the bag in a home made lauter tun and sparge there. Then do a 2 hour boil to get the wort back to its desired level. Using BIAB plus lauter tun, RdeVjun and I did a Russian Imperial 20L at 9.5% ABV.
Mind, it took from around 2 in the afternoon till Midnight. :rolleyes:

"I'm a little tea-pot" Stout - Foreign Extra Stout from Jan-Feb ed of BYO.com p 37

BB. Ale Malt 4000
Pale Wheat 500
W. Munich I 730
Medium Crystal 80L 250
JWM Dark Crystal 120L 250
Roasted Barley 250
Pale Chocolate 150
W. Carafa II 150
Rice 400
Acidulated malt 100
Amarillo 8.2% @ 60 28
Amarillo 8.2% @ 30 14
Williamette 5.0% @ 15 14

Gervin English Ale - pitched wort direct onto yeast cake of previous batch.

This stuff vanished very quickly. Will be back on the line-up soon.

M

For the imperial I would leave out or at least go very easy on the crystal/cara malts no real need for it and it can take away from what your after, go for spec malts that give a drying malty finish such as brown and amber, don't be affraid to go completey overboard with the roasted malts/roast barley.

Can highly recommend the 3 Shades of Stout from the recipe DB. Give it some time to age. Very tasty drop.

Just putting together a Mikkeller beer geek breakfast clone. From BYO mag. Just ordered the grain. Can post recipe if u wish.

Back