6 Consistant & favourite recipes of brewers.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BURGO817

Reaction score
Gday AHB,

Just wanted to find out what the top 6 all time favourite beers you all like to make are?

If you dont mind, post your methods here. Id like to try them out.

Cheers.

So far I only have four recipes I brew regularly although some more often than others;

Red Ale
Bohemian Pilsner
A robust porter of sorts
Foreign Extra Stout.

In between all that I brew a fair few APAs but the recipes are always different, and some English bitters as well.

APA three ways (I have three different recipes that I rotate to keep myself interested)
Dr Smurto's Golden Ale, have brewed this more than any other single recipe
ESB
Milk Stout
IPA
Wheat

Hoppy Pale Ale
Really Hoppy Pale Ale
Dark Hoppy Pale Ale
Light Bitter Pale Ale
Bitter AF Pale Ale
Maybe an IPA :)

Thanks for your reply,

Don't want to create work but, are these brews recipes on here? Im keen to try them all especially the Dark Hoppy PA.

Im a huge PA/IPA/XPA fan.

Cheers.

So far I only have four recipes I brew regularly although some more often than others;

Red Ale
Bohemian Pilsner
A robust porter of sorts
Foreign Extra Stout.

In between all that I brew a fair few APAs but the recipes are always different, and some English bitters as well.

Thanks for your reply,

Good range.

APA three ways (I have three different recipes that I rotate to keep myself interested)
Dr Smurto's Golden Ale, have brewed this more than any other single recipe
ESB
Milk Stout
IPA
Wheat

Thanks for your reply,

Funny enough, I was looking into Dr Smurto Golden Ale last night. Seems pretty popular within the community.

Cheers.

I rarely brew the exact same beer twice but 80% of my beers are on the IPA/APA spectrum.

given this, I would say I generally brew:
dry APA 30%
dry IPA 30%
Malty IPA 20%
wit/saison 5%
lager 5%
porter 2%
other 8%

As far as ideas for a commercial operation are concerned... I'm FAR from a typical punter but I feel like the age of a brewery having 4 or 5 regular brews is (should be) over. They tend to get boring for me really quickly. For example if you look at the Newstead brewing co APA, its really an APA style from 10 years ago; bitter AF and without the hop aroma and flavour levels that you expect of an APA these days. I know brew houses bring out seasonal beers but that's a tap or two out of 8 so they might as well only have two taps as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
Blonde Ale (generally just base malt such as Weyermann plus a couple of aromatic hops like Ella or Galaxy)
Stronger Red Ale with Caraaroma and UK hops
AIPA with some NZ hops chucked in as well like Pacifica.
I'll be back into lagers with Comp season coming on.

Pillar of Red Ale - Scotish, its in the recipie DB
Pillar Of Stout - in the DB
SAAZ Ale - Dead simple, needs SAAZ to about 35IBU, 10% wheta, 5-10% Xtal, base malt for the rest
Porter
Beer
Beer

Northern Bitter
Light (flavour) Porter
Any iteration of Dr Smurtos Golden Ale
Bia Hoi
Zombi Dust

Recipes - Click the link above or jump on the interwebs and get on board the 'Beer Train'

Brewing beer is all about taste 'you' like - Cheers

Staple Favorites that I usually brew once a year:

Munich Dunkel
German Pils
Czech Pilsner
Black IPA
Red IPA
American Amber
Schwartzbier
Hefeweizen

Back