5lt Heineken Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day Brewers. I have been busy lately with the bungs kits for reusing the Heineken Kegs that i posted a few weeks ago. I believe there are questions about the drilling of a hole in to the keg and will it go rusty. Well i have had beer in my kegs now for 2 months and have not had a rust problem around the hole edge. Rust will appear if the hole is open for some time but as i put the bung back in the hole after sanitising and to store the keg till next brew , the hole is covered & not exposed to the air for rust to start so, so far so good. no rust. I can not guarentee that rust will not appear but some cleaning with stainless steel wool will clean any surface rust up that may become visible. The hole surface doesn't come in contact with beer while in the keg as the rubber bung seals the hole inside & out. hope that answers some of your concerns regarding the concept of using these kegs. O.F.B.

Latest posts

Back