5l Ag ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glenos

Reaction score
I have read lots of comments about how much better AG beer tastes and I have been thinking I wouldn't mind giving it a try. When I was in my shed last week I spotted my 2 x 5L glass carboys and I thought could I do a 5L brew?

So is it possible or practical? I don't drink a lot of beer 5L would be me a month.

Or is there a kind hearted Hobart brewer that wants a helper for their next brew day?

I have read lots of comments about how much better AG beer tastes and I have been thinking I wouldn't mind giving it a try. When I was in my shed last week I spotted my 2 x 5L glass carboys and I thought could I do a 5L brew?

So is it possible or practical? I don't drink a lot of beer 5L would be me a month.

Or is there a kind hearted Hobart brewer that wants a helper for their next brew day?

I can't see a reason why not. After all, my first AG was an 11.5L brew (thought "ok it's time" halfway through a partial mash - just kept the mash bit.) Pity I'm not in Hobart or I'd be more than happy to help you out.

I used to do 10L and 5L batches on occasion. Remember though, that there's dimishing returns time vs product at this batch size! That being said, if you've got the gear, go for it. It'll be a learning experience at least!

Good luck!

Cheers

If u want to try an ag beer try a fresh wort and if u like it (i reckon u will) go all grain for the time it takes to brew your better of doing a full batch

Depends what you want from your brewing.

The diminishing returns thing hold true - It will take 2/3rds of the time and effort to make 5L that it would to make 50L - but, that might not be a problem for you. If you don't need a lot of volume, but want to try AG and learn about brewing, small batches are perfect.

I regularly brew batches in the 5-15L range and use the small batches to try out new recipes or ingredients, or if I just want to brew, but really don't need much more volume of beer.

Its a bit quicker to do a small volume, because the amounts of liquid are smaller and things take less time to heat up and cool down. You will be able to do it in the kitchen on a bog standard stove, and might well have a pot thats big enough sitting in your cupboard.

I do my "small" batches via BIAB and find that on the small scale it makes things super easy and even faster... but I've done small volume batch sparges too and they were fairly easy.

If you were to go the BIAB route, for 5 litres into the fermentor, all you would need is a fairly big pot (10+L) and a meter of the swiss voile fabric that us BIABers use, cut into a circle. I hold mine on the pot with a big rubber band. And thats it.

If you wanted to use a set-up with a mash tun and batch sparge. You'd need a pot (or small eski) for a mash tun, a pot for a kettle and a pot for a HLT, but all of them could be a bit smaller, say 8+litres for the kettle and MT and whatever you have around the place for a HLT. You could do some juggling with a bucket and reduce the need for pots. A braid set-up for lautering is pretty easy to make.

At that sort of batch size.. clean up can be done in your handy dandy dishwasher and I know that my small BIAB brews are over and done from set-up to cleaned up in about 3.5 hours. Less if I no chill.

I say give it a go. You'll learn a lot and might even convince yourself that it would be worth the money/effort to scale up in the future

Cheers

Thirsty

Thanks guys,
I already have a 13L pot, the BIAB method looks like the way to go, actually it looks like a good method for full batches.

Only 2 problems now, what recipe (something for summer drinking, I think) and how can I get 3.5 hours without the kids bugging me.

Unless your a bum, or retired, or filthy rich, then your probably not getting good value out of your time doing a 5L batch.

Unless your a bum, or retired, or filthy rich, then your probably not getting good value out of your time doing a 5L batch.

Only if you place no value at all on the fun and experience involved. You learn just as much with a small batch as with a larger one. You get to go through all the same motions - with the possible exception of hearing your back go 'crack'. In the unlikely and unhappy event that you end up with undrinkable fluid, you have wasted very little material, but still had the experience. And, if after a couple of shots you decide it is not for you, you've not wasted a shedload of cash on equipment.

If conservation of time is your primary motivation, just drop into the drive-through on the way home from work, or get the other half to do it for you. :p

glenos

Check the BYOB web site. They had a good story a while back called something like "countertop partials" or "counter top mashing" that is a good way to also do small batches. Uses a small drink cooler. Had some good info in it.

sinkas said:

Or like glenos and myself you don't drink that much.
I would love to brew more often but I just don't get through the stuff quick enough.
I mostly brew 5 to 10L batches which lets me try different stuff more often, well, that was the theory anyway(see previous line).

True, it's not much quicker than full-batch brews but it does mean you can do it with basic equipment. I was exclusively 'stove-top' until last years xmas-case which forced me to upsize my gear.

I've often thought of doing 5l batches to experiment with different hops or mashing regimes. It's also something I could do inside on the stove - far more SWMBO friendly. There's plenty of good reasons for doing small batches.

Hey Glenos,

Domonsura showed me some "mini-mash" kits he has the other day. Would be great for 5 litre batches. Worth a look.

www.Beerbelly.com.au

No affiliation etc.

cheers

Darren

Latest posts

Back