5day Lager Ferment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A3k

Reaction score
Hi Lads and Ladettes,
I posted this this morning, but was off topic for the thread where I posted it so decided to start a new thread.
I just used the Wyeast 2000 Budvar Lager in an AG Czech Pilsener. I pitched a big starter for me, started with 500ml then 2L, then decanted the wort and did another 2L. Probably fermented the starters a bit warm but oh well (about 24ish).

I pitched (decanted off first) into the 24L wort at 14deg on Monday night just been and it was down to 11C the next morning and has been there since.

I was expecting a reasonable lag and a long ferment, however the next day there was activity, and I took an SG reading this morning (5days later) and it appears like its pretty much done. OG 1052, now at 1012.

The sample I took tasted clean as. Couldnt actually detect any sulphur or anything. Looks like I missed the chance for a diacetyl rest, but dont think it was necessary this time.

Is this a ridiculously quick ferment for a lager yeast? Pretty happy with it as I can put down another brew earlier than expected. Are there any side effects of such a quick ferment with a lager yeast?
Now Im considering putting another batch on some of this yeast cake.

Cheers,
Al

Latest posts

Back