5500 watt ultra low watt element

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinR

Reaction score
Hi
I am switching to electricity from gas(wife says the drink is killing my brain cells. I think it's the CO from my rambo burner)
Anyway I have a 5500 watt element. Anyone know how I can control it, ie turn it up and down?
Kev

I hope you have a 20A wall socket or else you're going to have a very pissed off wife in short order.

You will need an electric controller, many ways to skin a cat.
Personally I would use a PID to alter the duty cycle or % of heat.

More like a 25A socket and a sparkie who will wire it in 6mm.

Definatly not for domestic use....I wouldnt even think about it.

Ducatiboy stu said:
More like a 25A socket and a sparkie who will wire it in 6mm.
Definatly not for domestic use....I wouldnt even think about it.
I agree with Ducatiboy. You need a 25A circuit to run one of them. I've got 3 of the Camco ones in my rig and I've got them on 30A circuits.

The option I went for was a resistance SSR that controls the output voltage via a potentiometer. Link for a 25A one here http://m.ebay.com/itm/230914580817?nav=SEARCH

I'm not knocking PIDs, I just wanted a simple and cheap way to control the voltage (and therefore temps) manually. If you want to use a temp sensor to match a desired temp setting, you'll need to go the PID option.

Can supply more details if needed.

Mick.

Hey mate the only option Ur gonna be able to go is 2 phase if u want to use that element. With a switch. Post it up and I'll have a look and if Ur lucky give u another option

That is one mother of an element!

Is it definitely 240v?

You wont get 2 phase domestic. You wont even get 3 phase. They just wont do it.

In fact you might be hard pressed to get a dedicated 25A outlet on domestic supply. Most domestic supply is capped at 65A.

Depends on his house. He may have 3 phase which means he can wire up as 415v instead of 240v

Ducatiboy stu said:
In fact you might be hard pressed to get a dedicated 25A outlet on domestic supply. Most domestic supply is capped at 65A.

The only thing a Electrician would do if it's 25a is wire it In hard with 4mm cable and a 25amp breaker. From memory I don't think there is a plug rated at 25a

Personally I wouldnt do it in 4mm..

25A plugs are easly available. But you wont find them in bunnings.

There the screw-in type 3phase style plugs.

mrsupraboy said:
The only thing a Electrician would do if it's 25a is wire it In hard with 4mm cable and a 25amp breaker. From memory I don't think there is a plug rated at 25a
4mm will depend in length from the SWB...

But we are talking semantics...short run, 4mm will do....but....I like to go bigger and safer...just how I was trained as an apprentice all them years ago..

mrsupraboy said:
Depends on his house. He may have 3 phase which means he can wire up as 415v instead of 240v
Elements are voltage rated, you cannot wire up a 240v element to 415v.

Technically it is possible but it will only last for 1/240 of a second (assuming 60Hz) and will make one hell of a bang (and hopefully thats it)

mrsupraboy said:
Your shitting me...seriously....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back