5500 watt ultra low watt element

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
By my calculations you'll draw 22.9 amps on 240 volts, so a 32 amp circuit would be fine.

I work with heater elements alot and there is a small chance he can wire it up as 2 phase. Check with the manufacturer.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Your a fuckwitt for even suggesting that.
What's so bad about that? They are 240v and draw 23A so a 240v 32A circuit is more than enough.

mrsupraboy said:
I work with heater elements alot and there is a small chance he can wire it up as 2 phase. Check with the manufacturer.
The only thing I would be checking that if it is 240 or 415v

BIG difference that you dont want to get incorrect

And yes I am a fully licensed commercial and or domestic electrician (depends really on the day) if anyone is asking

Even industrial electrician, like I said depends on the day!

nathan_madness said:
What's so bad about that? They are 240v and draw 23A so a 240v 32A circuit is more than enough.
I shall let you wire my house up and give you Carte Blanche

The Amazon one is the one I have. Supply not a problem 415 volt 60 amp in the shed.240v 5500watt should draw 23 amps?
Kev

KevinR said:
The Amazon one is the one I have. Supply not a problem 415 volt 60 amp in the shed.240v 5500watt should draw 23 amps?
Kev
I plan on upgrading to those elements later when I put together a control panel (says me who hasn't even finished building his first rig yet). Current elements are 3500W. The 5500's will give the boil for doubles a bit more of a boost, and will need it in order to be able to do triples.

I've got a 240V 40A line out in the shed, courtesy of the previous owners running a kiln. Lots of juice for when I'm ready to use it.

As long as your supply was put in according to spec I can't see why you would have a problem (ensure your own wiring is done/checked by a sparky yada yada).

There are pics in the build thread where these big elements are used (Gav?). Check with them what sort of supply and control equipment they used.

Mick

KevinR said:
Please explain.
If you wire 2 of 240 volt elements in series you double the resistance of the elements, that means you can run 415 volts through the elements and pull about the same current. If the insulation on the elements isn't rated for the higher voltage they would still fail.
I wouldn't recommend trying this unless you have a good understanding of the concept and have good information about the equipment you are using.

Um....do you know much about 415v 3phase....cause I dont think you have any idea...

Pokey said:
I wouldn't recommend trying this unless you have a good understanding of the concept and have good information about the equipment you are using.
Agreed

I have seen 240V short circuit - meh

I have also seen 415v copper busbar 100 x 300 x 5mm melt like butter on a short - the ensuing fire took 3 days to rewire the switchboard

Dont get it wrong with 415

Why do you think you need 5500w? I've got 2 x 2400w in my kettle, and on doubles it's almost jumping out.... If I were to upgrade my rig I'd probably scale back to 3600w tbh....

Cheers

Pokey said:
If you wire 2 of 240 volt elements in series you double the resistance of the elements, that means you can run 415 volts through the elements and pull about the same current. If the insulation on the elements isn't rated for the higher voltage they would still fail.
I see what you are saying and the principles behind it but I wouldn't try this or recommend it.

You would normally just put each element accros a seperate phase back to neutral.

Having "415" across your element terminalsis can lead to potential problems when a fault happens.

Ducatiboy stu said:
You wont get 2 phase domestic. You wont even get 3 phase. They just wont do it.

In fact you might be hard pressed to get a dedicated 25A outlet on domestic supply. Most domestic supply is capped at 65A.
I can confirm this is not correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back