50lt Kegs - Melbourne

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yea ive changed :ph34r: ...by kids i'll assume you mean the 120 brand new stainless steel kegs we just purchased for $120 each! (you do the maths) they are our (kooinda's) kids, our shiny, shiny kids and if we ever catch someone kidnapping one of our kids then our biggest brewer mick will be promptly round to see you with an axe, a shovel, a knife and maybe even some lube.
Lojack in a RFID tag ... would probably cost more than the kegs themselves, but once word got out that you could track the kegs and were good with an axe, shovel, knife and lube ... not many more would ever go missing. :)

nuffin nicked, all above board, My man they are coming through runs a bar so Im inclined to think no ill and wouldnt open it here if they were from less than a well trusted and reliable source.

Been sitting in his mates yard for about 3 years. Will provide more details when I know more.

Yob

words in guys.. by my count I have 13 takers which is a feelgood moment coz thats what I have available... and if it wasnt for the kind offer of a fellow menber I couldnt even offer this.

as follows for takers.

1 keg each - pickup only and $15

even SWMBO rekons I cant let em go.. my man swaers they are cool :rolleyes: I believe him.

disclaimer is I havnt laid eyes on em yet, and they have been in a backyard for 3 years.. I have a grinder with a wire brush so messy or not mine will shine!

I will not be able to pick them up untill the 29/8/11 (goin snowboarding this weekend :beerbang: ) so pick up will be on/after this only.

Yob

[edit] that was weird I had D-E-A-L and D-A-T-E in the post which went green/underlined and the link probably is eating my computer right now...er..

thats cost but it's good to pass the love about.. will also accept donations of tasters longnecks tasty delight for the effort :D

kegs for EVERYBODY!!! ... :beerbang:

well those in anyway...

and if you missed it, there will be another time

Yob

[edit] sorry I was a week late.. the dude was on hols.

free-MrBurnsExcellent.gif

Sounds good.

:icon_offtopic: ish, not trying to hijack and not trying to start a sh*t fight just pleading ignorance. Could someone please point out to me how you can actually identify whether a sale of a 2nd hand is being sold to you leagally or not. As in most cases you'd take it on good faith that those selling them have the right to do so, discounting the obviously dodgies sale. For example is there a register for kegs that you can cross reference to see if they have been disposed of or are avalible for sale or stolen. Why I 'm asking is, cause some of the opportunities I've seen in the past 12 months in Melbourne and Sydney has got me to the point of hooking up a trailer or borrowing a ute and bring a load back to Adelaide as long as it is all above board. As recently I've seen a number of Blue Tongue Kegs (30 odd) up for sale in an auction house here and can't work out why they have called for there return

Cheers

:icon_offtopic: ish, not trying to hijack and not trying to start a sh*t fight just pleading ignorance. Could someone please point out to me how you can actually identify whether a sale of a 2nd hand is being sold to you leagally or not. As in most cases you'd take it on good faith that those selling them have the right to do so, discounting the obviously dodgies sale. For example is there a register for kegs that you can cross reference to see if they have been disposed of or are avalible for sale or stolen. Why I 'm asking is, cause some of the opportunities I've seen in the past 12 months in Melbourne and Sydney has got me to the point of hooking up a trailer or borrowing a ute and bring a load back to Adelaide as long as it is all above board. As recently I've seen a number of Blue Tongue Kegs (30 odd) up for sale in an auction house here and can't work out why they have called for there return

Cheers

Bloody Meerkats. LOL.......

something gift-horse something mouth... er..

Ive found in life its best to take a good opportunity when it presents itself, move on if suspicious.. this one rings no bells for me and thus I offer to the community in good faith.

something gift-horse something mouth... er..

Ive found in life its best to take a good opportunity when it presents itself, move on if suspicious.. this one rings no bells for me and thus I offer to the community in good faith.

Fair call and that's what you'd expect too.

@BYB and who's trailer do you think I was going to borrow for a keg run to Melbourne ???

Cheers

Alright, I'll try to answer this, but please... I not trying to tell you that you should care whether any given keg is legit or not, just give some information to someone who has asked and so obviously does care. Please dont turn it into some sort of big brewers vs homebrewers moral shitfight... I'm just answering a question.

Kegs are worth well in excess of $100 to replace. Why would a brewery willingly let their $100 dollars sit in someones yard for a year, get sold for $15 bucks and never see a cent of the money. Would you? Sure, there are legit kegs around and the ones from this OP most certainly might be some of them. BUT - if kegs are current style sanke kegs that are branded with the logo of a working brewery... Why is it that the original owners no longer want their money?

I cant speak about what smaller brewers do - but i know for a fact that there is almost no chance that any current style kegs you see from big australian brewers, non-current breweries that were bought by a big brewer, or brands that are imported by big brewers - are legit. If they are functional, the brewers would like to put beer in them and want them back, or if they are non functional they would have been sold to a scrap dealer under the strict condition that they be destroyed. That way a brewer like CUB can look at the BBQ you made out of one of their kegs and know without doubt, that somewhere along the lines, someone stole it from them - they DO NOT sell them. Very very rarely they might give them to someone, but it will always be accompanied by a letter detailing the kegs serial number and the fact that the person is entitled to be in possesion of the keg.

Kegs are worth good money - if it was plasma TVs and someone was offering them for 10% of the price you knew they were worth - how much chance is there that its really discarded stock from Harvey Norman that they decided they couldn't be bothered to collect from the warehouse they were storing it in?

Big breweries will have a record of the serial numbers of the kegs they have bought, the ones they have sent for destruction and any they might have sold or given away - there is no way for you to tell though, except to work with the logic. If the keg has a brewer's name stamped into it, then in all probability its not legit and maybe you should call the brewery in question to ask... If you care.

cool, let me know whe you want the $ and I will do the deed :)

well done and thanks

P.S I think I'm on the list :)

Taphouse in Melbourne & Sydney regularly sell legit kegs at very good prices (lower than Keg King etc). Mainly Canadian & Import ones that are too expensive to ship back to their home breweries. In May this year the Sydney one was selling some.

Unfortunately most of these are the 'rubberised' numbers, so are hard to covert into boilers etc unless you're using heating elements, but got me a cheapie legit 30L from the Melbourne Taphouse for just $30 to use for kegging purposes.

The link was here: Taphouse Legit Kegs

Not trying to hijack but just pointing out that not all kegs at pubs being sold off are dodgy.

Hopper.

I have a grinder with a wire brush so messy or not mine will shine!

Dont use wire brush grinder wheels on stainless steel the steel impregnates into the surface
which rusts and leads to the stainless corroding because it is no longer passivated.

come get some boys... certainly wasnt expecting some of them to be full... er... :blink:

1.JPG

german kegs from the writing on them I think.... whatever.. I presume that the plastic coating can be cut from the bottom...

there it is folks all on the table.

Yob

(nice tip about the wire brush too cheers)

Hi all,

Been looking for one of those rubberised kegs foe a while, if anyone was expecting a nude keg and the coated one won't I'd be happy to step in!

Cheers

Mr W

looks good to me, I was going to use one to assist with water purification so the rubber should assist with insulation.

let us know when you want them gone by.

thanks again
Matt

anytime im about really.

probably best to ring me first (im pretty sure I sent you a PM with it) but basicly anytime after work hours this week bout 8ish on (except for tuesday night) or next weekend would be good. let me know if you need the number again.

there are a number of people who have expressed interest but those that were PM'd have the first bite at them. [edit] I believe they are all spoken for.

dunno how I managed to fit 12 of them in the little subaru but I did.. oh yeah thats right 2 in the front seat :ph34r:

Yob

will give you a buzz, any one who wants to pick up from mulgrave rather than ringwood, let yob know and I maybe able to grab it for you.

thanks yob really appreciated.

Back