E. Melbourne Yeast Vials Mini-Buy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are they needed with a flat base so these stand on their own? I'm planning on using the 2L ice cream containers to stand a bunch in and just have a few of those (eventually as I build up stocks).

051093.jpg

Ahhh. I missed the free-standing posts. The ice cream tub should work well then. :)

OK 15mlophiles, we only have 150 on the order so far, and the source we're most likely going with has a minimum case of 500 with those. Would you rather shift up to the 30ml tubes? Order a crapload more? Scare up more interest among your fellow perverts? ;) Moffie and Middie, what would you like to do?

OK, the manufacturers didn't get back to me this week about the autoclave-ability of the vials. They're polypropylene so should be, but I want direct confirmation. I'll chase them up again next week.

Im happy to make up the balance to 500 if no other jump in. SUPER KEEN to get some freezer space back only to fill it up again with more strains.

As mentioned, I'll go to one hunny, although I might try to sell off the extra 50 if I can. Saves mr super keen from packing some of the extras. Bit surprised we didn't get more takers for the 15s... My last buy of 500 saw them disappear real quick.

Happy to go to 15's instead, I just went with 30ml because of the more is better attitude as opposed to some scientific or practiced reasoning...can someone explain why one would choose one size over another?

cheers

droid said:
Happy to go to 15's instead, I just went with 30ml because of the more is better attitude as opposed to some scientific or practiced reasoning...can someone explain why one would choose one size over another?

cheers
My three reasons for 15's:
1. Freezer space, more room for more variety
2. I've moved to 10L cubes so I can split up batches easier. So say I end up with 5-7ml yeast in each vial that's around 20-28 (estimated) billion cells. I can get enough yeast for a batch through a 100ml 1020 starter and a 500ml 1040 starter.
3. Yob gave me this awesome storage bank that holds 49 vials and you fill it a 1/3 with a salt water solution that keeps them safe if the frost free cycle comes on or there's a power outage.

So for full batch m0f0s sounds like 30mL is the money?

My experience 15's vs. 30's is that using the 30's, I can eliminate one step for full batches. With 15's I usually have to go 150ml, 500ml, 2000ml to get enough for a batch and to freeze a couple vials. With 30's (and 50's) I can just go 500 ml, 2000ml.

The difference is really just personal preference based on steps and storage space, as far as I can tell from what I've done. Oh, and I prefer the wider mouth on the 30's for ease of pouring yeast into them from a flask. It's not at all difficult to do that into the 15's, just give me a bit of wiggle room. Or perhaps spillage room is more accurate ;)

50 ml autoclavable vials, molded gradations:
1.droid - 100 (if minimum order number not met then 200 x 30mls)
30ml autoclavable vials, molded gradations:
1. Mardoo - 200 vials
2. Nullnvoid - 100 vials
3. MartinOC - 200 vials
5. Yob - 100 vials
6. DJ_L3ThAL - 100 vials - happy to also be a collection point for anyone near Preston.
7. Mat B - 50 vials
8. GoodDuck - 50 vials
9. Ferg - 50 vials
10. BlindDog - 100 vials
15ml autoclavable vials, printed gradations:
1. Midnight Brew x100
2. Mofox1 x50

OK, zero word back from the manufacturer of the 30's, and for some reason the salespeople can't/won't find out for me. I'm running out of time for this buy so I suggest two options: 1. We just buy the 30's knowing that they are polypropylene and that every other PP vial I've had or seen has been autoclavable to 121c; or 2. We go with the Proscitech PP 50ml vials which I know for sure are autoclavable, but will be a bit more expensive. We're looking at about $0.34 each delivered for the 30's. The 50's from Proscitech will be about $0.37 delivered. They also have the best stir bars on the planet, the L38-5016.

What do people think?

Who is the supplier you have been talking too? I might be able to help if my work uses them. I can talk directly to the rep. Pm me if you need too.

Great, thanks. The rep I talked to didn't know and said she would email the manufacturer asking them to email me. I did not feel confidence.

They definitely have the best price I found on 30ml tubes. After their price the next lowest goes up to around $0.55/tube.

According to our Rep, the tubes are autoclavable, but not the lids.

Seeing if they have an alternative.

Also, PM'd you Mardoo.

Yep, the 50mL non-sterile ones I got from Proscitech way back had non-autoclaveable lids. I threw them in anyway and found the tubes still deformed but the lids split completely on quite a few of them. This was at 132C dental grade as I mentioned I think earlier in this thread.

So stupid as you say Mardoo, completely defeats the purpose... sterile and autoclaveable all the way, surely they do exist?

Back