E. Melbourne Yeast Vials Mini-Buy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Midnight Brew said:
My three reasons for 15's:
1. Freezer space, more room for more variety
2. I've moved to 10L cubes so I can split up batches easier. So say I end up with 5-7ml yeast in each vial that's around 20-28 (estimated) billion cells. I can get enough yeast for a batch through a 100ml 1020 starter and a 500ml 1040 starter.
3. Yob gave me this awesome storage bank that holds 49 vials and you fill it a 1/3 with a salt water solution that keeps them safe if the frost free cycle comes on or there's a power outage.
You need a bigger freezer...

OK, big thanks to Nullnvoid for helping me/us by following up with the distributors to finally get all the info we need. Basically, all of the 30ml, polypropylene, autoclavable tubes available at $0.38/each or less have - get this - lids that cannot be autoclaved. There are 30ml ones available for around $0.55/each and up that are fully autoclavable. There are 15ml and 50ml vials easily available that have autoclavable lids. Those 50ml ones are around $0.37/each, the ones I mentioned from Proscitech.

My inclination at this point is to ditch the idea of the 30ml ones and just go with either 15's or 50's from Proscitech. Many of us have used them, they work, job done. I'd like to get these ordered early next week if possible. How do the 30ml folks feel about stepping up to 50's, or down to 15's? Proscitech do not carry 30ml autoclavable vials. This is where the EOI currently stands:

50 ml autoclavable vials, molded gradations:
1. droid - 100 (if minimum order number not met then 200 x 30mls)

30ml autoclavable vials, molded gradations:
1. Mardoo - 200 vials
2. Nullnvoid - 100 vials
3. MartinOC - 200 vials
4. Yob - 100 vials
5. DJ_L3ThAL - 100 vials - happy to also be a collection point for anyone near Preston.
6. Mat B - 50 vials
7. GoodDuck - 50 vials
8. Ferg - 50 vials
9. BlindDog - 100 vials

15ml autoclavable vials, printed gradations:
1. Midnight Brew x100
2. Mofox1 x50

I'm happy to go up or down. Whatever the majority choose. 15's might be easier to put in my freezer.

Happy either way!

Given that the 30ml ones are what folks seem to want most-of, I'd vote to go autoclaveable ones & **** the extra few $0.0? cents.

Edit: They're re-usable if you can autoclave them!!

I'm happy with fully autoclaved 30mL, seems like a good size for stepping up to a normal batch too [emoji3]

I'm hoping to finalise the supplier on Monday. If anyone needs to back out it would be good to know this weekend.

Are you sure that Proscitech don't have autoclavable ones? The LS22-30's are PP, just like the 50ml versions which states that they're autoclavable: https://proscitech.com/?navaction=show_page&chapter=l&page=10

I've got some of those from the last BB I organised, but haven't used them yet. I can try pressure-cooking a couple of them & report back?

Well whaddaya know! I hadn't dug that far into the site. I just looked where I always have ordered from. I'll give them a ring Monday to make absolutely sure the lids are PP as well. Be good to have a flat-topped cap.

Success! I just pressure-cooked a couple of those PP 30's with water in them & the lids on loosely for about 15 mins. No sign of deformity or sealing problems.

They work-out at 46c each (incl. GST) in a pack of 50, with 10% off (ie. 42c each) if we order 400+ (8 packs).

I think you'll find the lids are HDPE (like the 50ml versions). Either way, the two I just nuked survived with flying colours.

Awesome Martin. Thanks for doing that. Looks like we have a winner. I'll call to be sure, but it'd be odd if Martin isn't right. As always. Particularly when arguing with numptys ;) But no, the test is good enough for me. I'll get the PM going.

I may just order some of these for those 20L starters.

If folks want other things I'm happy to order them, but you're responsible for getting your stock numbers correct. I won't be going through to double-check. Best to PM me the link to the item/s.

Latest posts

Back