50l Kettle (keg) Best Filtering Method

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neo__04

Reaction score
Hey all,

Working on my new 3v all ket setup.
I have purchased a false bottom for the 50L keg mash tun.

What would be the best filtering setup for the kettle.

I have been reading this wesite a lot, lots of great info there... http://theelectricbrewery.com/boil-kettle?page=3

Would that stainless mesh type be the most efficient or what do others suggest.

I was thinking of putting the output on the very bottom of the keg, would the output there with a little tube into the inside of one of those stainless mesh filters work pretty well?

I want to drain as much wort as possible, with the minimum amount of hops/break going with it.

Thanks in advance!

The same FB you have in your mash tun mate!

Cool thanks for that

Well i wasnt sure if the false bottoms where the best thing for the boil kettle.

Is hot/cold break thicker/thinner than particles in the mash?

Hey all,

I have been reading this wesite a lot, lots of great info there... http://theelectricbrewery.com/boil-kettle?page=3

I was thinking of putting the output on the very bottom of the keg, would the output there with a little tube into the inside of one of those stainless mesh filters work pretty well?

I want to drain as much wort as possible, with the minimum amount of hops/break going with it.

Thanks in advance!

I have used the mesh type before and if you gravity fed through them they tend to block and get stuck but if you use a pump to move the wort there not to bad.

yep, will be connected to a pump.

Could you fully drain the kettle with the Mesh type?
Does much get through?

Hey all,

Thanks in advance!

Most people use some sort of small pickup tube but I reckon that works better in a flat based kettle like a stockpot as opposed to a keggle. I use a 50lt keg for my kettle & had installed a copper pickup tube & ended up taking it off. The keg base has a nice taper towards the bottom & a small diameter indentation that is perfect for trub & stuff to settle out. With mine, I chill, whirlpool & leave it alone for 15-30mins & the wort is crystal clear. I then transfer the wort to the waiting fermenter until it naturally stops flowing. After that, simply tilt the keggle & continue draining until you get it almost completely empty or when the trub starts to get too close to the outlet. Not too much left behind in my case.

Latest posts

Back