50l Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No special tool, no filing of bits required with your keg Low Hang'n. Just screw the top back on and grab the inner metal bit with the pliers. Lift and twist.

Just remember, Toohey keg spears screw out, whereas CUB keg spear lift out !!! Otherwise you could be trying to remove a CUB spear by trying to screw the spear out, and that could take a while !!!

Isn't that right, Linz???? What do you reckon Franko???

Cheers,
Jase

Don't be going to Franko for back up!!

He was the one that started down that path then went off to do something frivolous like look after his kids or something, and left me with the screwdriver and hammer saying "it doesnt seem to be moving!!"

And I gave it a few good whacks too!

Just remember, Toohey keg spears screw out, whereas CUB keg spear lift out !!! Otherwise you could be trying to remove a CUB spear by trying to screw the spear out, and that could take a while !!!

Cheers,
Jase

He was the one that started down that path then went off to do something frivolous like look after his kids or something, and left me with the screwdriver and hammer saying "it doesnt seem to be moving!!"

Are good to see others have trodden the same path as me :super: But hey I have blood blisters to-boot :ph34r: :ph34r:

Cheers,
Jase

Ive got to laugh but hey it all worked out okay in the end, sorry Linz those Kids need too much attention

Hey guys..
on this topic, are all keg couplers the same?
I notice on ebay they have ones like swan, carlton etc, but are they all basically the same coupler with a different handle?
Cheers fellas.
:party:

ok. Cheers.
So how would i tell what system a coupler on ebay would be?

ok. Cheers.
So how would i tell what system a coupler on ebay would be?

Just ask what keg type the couple is for, that way you can check to see if it will work on yours. After I visited the micromatic web site I became a lot more enlightened about the differences.

What type of Keg do you have?

Cheers
Low Hang'n :beer:

Hi everyone,
I have read the topics on how to de-stem carlton kegs but mine doesnt have the groove for the removal of the clip. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Chuck - post a pic and it might be easier for us to see what's going on.

Hi everyone,
I have read the topics on how to de-stem carlton kegs but mine doesnt have the groove for the removal of the clip. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Grab your favorite file and cut a small notch in the rim, down to the split ring/clip thingie...
(Doesn't affect the sealing of the keg, as the coupler seals on the inside of the well, below where the ring sits.)

You can then lever out the ring with a screwdriver and a pair of pliers.

:D

With all this discussion on how to open these "LEGAL" :unsure: kegs, do you plan to fill them with homebrew :D , then put into a fridge/freezer. Don't forget that 50l of brew weighs about 50kg, the keg about 20-25kg, so all up a lift of about 70-75kg to move :blink:
Me thinks not to good on the old back :huh:

<snip!>
Me thinks not to good on the old back :huh:

Yes. A complete ******* to move....

...Or so I hear... :lol:

Not to mention that they don't fit into most fridges.

I like the cornie kegs for just that reason - they will fit most places, and you don't have to be he-man to move them.

IMG_5042.JPGIMG_5043.JPG
Chuck - post a pic and it might be easier for us to see what's going on.

OK here are some pics of my LEGAL :ph34r: kegs, Although filing the rim sounds like it may work :party:

Another technique I hear is common is to drill a couple of 2mm holes, one in each end of the clip. Then use circlip pliers to remove the clip. Hell of a lot easier! :)

:beer:
thats the easiest way two little holes then when you get it out take it to a bearing service and buy a reusable circlip to suit and no more problems.
cheers Altstart

I would just re-use the clip... it doesn't get damaged in the process, and the clip with two holes is effectively a circlip anyway.

Chuck did you find a way to remove it? i have the same kegs and am struggling big time.

Any hints or tips?

I have tried everything from screw driver to vice grips nothing.

Cheers
Coops

As already stated let the gas out of it then drill a 2mm hole in one end of the circlip. Using the hole that you just drilled lever the circlip inwards and then you can get another screwdriver behind it and remove the snapring.

Back