cutting the spear 50L keg, how much? (pressure kegmenter)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maheel

Reaction score
I am experimenting with pressure fermenting (spunding valve) and am going to do 40L in a 50L keg.

For now i am just using a keg coupler with the spunding on the gas out.

The plan is to ferment then push the beer out the "beer out" into my corny to serve all under pressure etc.
I was thinking i should cut the tube back a little to leave the yeast once cold crashed....

any advice on how much to cut off the spear on a A type "tall" keg ???

I have mine 30mm clear off the bottom. That seems to be just right. When emptied there may be 5mm of beer left on top the yeast cake.

how much did you cut off to get to that do you think ?

i got NFI on how to measure from the bottom to the tip of the spear :)

I just measure from tip up 25-30 mm. I did mine and 25 was good for me. Use pipe cutters if you got one best cut ,or hacksaw if not and clean up edges with a small file.
If you ever need to return the keg back to a full serving keg then a small piece of silicone hose over the end will extend it back down, but I only use mine for fermenting and love it, just ordered another.

thanks i just cut +-25mm off it with my tube cutter nice and easy :)

have PBW'ed it and starsan'ed ready to go

once i sort out some tranfer lines i am sorted :beer:

How do you clean them? Assume just soak in perc, PBW, etc., shake then rinse?

I tip mine upside down and give a blast with hose to remove trub. Then fill with water to brim with wack of sodium perc, leave overnight to soak then rinse out and store upside down with lid off. Next run I just rinse with water incase cockies been in it, spray with starsan and fill.

I've been reusing my cake for a second run if doing a back to back style , so a clean every 2 brews is the way to roll.
As I pressure transfer, the cake stays in co2 environment so no problem if needing to use the cake a week or 2 down the track.
No issue with O2 or bugs etc....

I've bought a second one, so I can have an ale and lager version running, not hard around here with thirsty family lol

Thanks for that Coldspace.

I've got a couple of spare 50L kegs that aren't being used (and won't be in the foreseeable future) which I was thinking of using for fermenters. I thought I needed to get a conversion kit from the States so haven't bothered yet, but this would work perfectly.

Thanks Maheel for the OP, sorry to hijack.

I soak all my gear with perc overnight always clean as. I do this on the side of my pool as then I tip the water into the pool so I don't waste water.

all good glad Coldspace has chipped in with his method

Gives me some ideas to work with

i am going to make a 90" elbow on my pressure washer to help blast them clean as well

Coldspace said:
I soak all my gear with perc overnight always clean as. I do this on the side of my pool as then I tip the water into the pool so I don't waste water.
i always thought perc was safe, but swim in it safe? i guess it's a volume thing? 20 - 50 litres in 15 -30 thousand?

printed forms section said:
i always thought perc was safe, but swim in it safe? i guess it's a volume thing? 20 - 50 litres in 15 -30 thousand?
Most of it has disapated by 24 hrs, my pool 65000.

If this is no good someone please tell me and I'll stop.
Cheers

I get inside and wipe/mop clean all the interior. Mop on a stick cleaner to get to the bottom.
Hand mop to get the top half. Dismantle all parts and clean. Sodium Percarb is good but sometimes doesn't get off a residue surface without a scrub/wipe. Sometimes like sticky resinous lupulin eg.

ha, I seem to have a delay on posts at the moment.

Sodium Percabonate safe to swim in? It does wonders to clean hands. I'll dunk my fingers and wash my arms in the concentrated solution no probs.

In the pool I'd just wonder about it mixing with chlorine?

Latest posts

Back