• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

500L Barrels

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironsides

Reaction score
Hi All,

The winery I work for is selling off twenty or thirty 500L oak puncheons. They were going to cut them up to sell to garden centers, but i suggested that, since they still work, brewers might be interested. They are mostly American oak, and have had about 10 years of use.

200 bucks each, pickup from the winery (Murumbateman 25min NW of Canberra), or organise shipping.

20140926_081417.jpg

If they're happy to hold onto them for another few weeks you might get a few takers who'll be heading to Canberra for the AABC and ANHC, Oct 17-18.

What wines have they had in them? How many do you think you would get on a pallet to help with freight to Qld?

I know whisky is aged in American oak barrels that have housed sherry.

whats the reason for getting rid of them? is a better question

barls said:
Nope a better question is who TF has 500L of beer (or anything else) they want to barrel age on a home bre forum?

Ironsides said:
Hi All,

The winery I work for is selling off twenty or thirty 500L oak puncheons. They were going to cut them up to sell to garden centers, but i suggested that, since they still work, brewers might be interested. They are mostly American oak, and have had about 10 years of use.

200 bucks each, pickup from the winery (Murumbateman 25min NW of Canberra), or organise shipping.

attachicon.gif
20140926_081417.jpg
I have seen these made into outdoor settings that consist of one barrel for the table with sections cut out to house an ice drum for self service and another two barrels converted to seats....

Barls, New barrels impart an oaky, sappy, woody flavour that get used in the reds, chards and a few other things. Old barrels don't impart much of these flavours so we sell off extras every few years.

Blind dog, its not only home brewers that read this forum, there are a few small breweries as well, or clubs that might want to brew large amounts etc etc.

barls said:
a bloke at work makes wine and he only uses his newly made barrels for one year before he gets rid of them.

Hey Ironsides, as Beersuit asked, what has been in them?
Also have they been empty long?

If they're broken up into staves I might be interested in a couple, depending on what was in them. Don't know if you'd make much money doing it, but I bet there'd be more takers here if sold that way.

If there happen to be any barrels that are no longer good for liquid storage I'd be very happy to take them off your hands! I have a beer engine that is looking for a home :)

And what type of wine have they had in them?

Dimensions would be handy, i doubt i could fit one in the station wagon lol but if I could i'd grab one.

Back