4th vessel independent HERMS

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobjF

Reaction score
Hey guys.
Just wondered if anyone had come across a commercially made prepose built HERMS that runs independently as a fourth vessel and not incorporated in the HLT.
Thanks Rob

The herm-it from online brewing supplies. https://onlinebrewingsupplies.com/herm-it-r-coil

Although the website is not particularly user friendly and doesn't seem to have the coils/controller on there at the moment.

Should be some old threads around AHB with more detail on it. Nev from OBS used to post quite a bit (before being banned?)

As TMB above mentioned, for me, the Hermit kit was a no fuss option, I just popped it into a 5lt birko urn with a STC1000 to monitor temps. Not perfect but an OK intermediate step.

I have a 20ltr birko and the herms coil pack from cheaKy peak. It's a dial temp thing but it's been faultless for many brews now. The coil fits around the element nicely. I think it was $400 all up

In the interest of balance .....

5 Star also do a separate herms unit. Apparently the price is top secrete though, and a big reason I'd never buy it.

ED: Also note the thermowell in this unit is in the heat exchange, the temp of the heat exchange is neither here nor there really. The exit temp of the wort is the critical temp. For me they really lost sight of function over form.

malt junkie said:
In the interest of balance .....

5 Star also do a separate herms unit. Apparently the price is top secrete though, and a big reason I'd never buy it.

ED: Also note the thermowell in this unit is in the heat exchange, the temp of the heat exchange is neither here nor there really. The exit temp of the wort is the critical temp. For me they really lost sight of function over form.
I can tell you it's more than you'd probably think it's worth, but their service is excellent, so may be worth it.
It's kind of funny how most blokes on their forums seem to think that you NEEEEEEEEEED to have a HERMS to do all grain...

That 5 star unit looks pretty good, and would be really tempted... but my guess is it aint cheap.

Ive been allgrain brewing for the passed 5/6 years on a 3v keg set up but double batch and im sick a tired of squeezing ever last drop into my kettle and fighting boil overs so im in the process of building a 4v all electric system between 100/150litre. Still haven't fully decided between RIMS and HERMS but leaning towards HERMS.
The Fivestar system look exceptionally well made.
Thanks guys for all the help im slowly looking through it all.
Cheers Rob

My latest upgrade was to add RIMS, done about 10 brews... and am sick of the element scorching up.
Passively looking at an external enclosed HERMS.

Scorching is one of the factors putting me off RIMS and steering me towards HERMS. I have a few friends doing well with HERMS systems but dont have a lot of experience or feed back to use when it comes to RIMS.

n87 said:
My latest upgrade was to add RIMS, done about 10 brews... and am sick of the element scorching up.
Passively looking at an external enclosed HERMS.
Where are you measuring/controlling your temperature?

That 5-star unit looks pretty good but if they don't show the price then you can bet your bottom dollar it's pretty exy.

I got Nev's (should I dare mention his name? :p ) ss Hermit coil & 2400 element then went to a sheetmetal shop with my measurements.
Worked out well.

New SS HEX Front.JPG

New SS HEX Side.JPG

Another with hermit coil. $9 kettle and a pid on the return to the mlt

Adr_0 said:
Where are you measuring/controlling your temperature?
Kk rims tube with the sensor in the top (next to the outlet) controlled by pid

For those of you with Nev's coil, what size grain bill do you have, and how fast does it ramp up or step?

I have one of nevs coils, in a home made herms thingy, stainless, holding roughly 3.5l with a 3.5kw element.

A roughly 13kg grain bill with 45l of strike water I reckon ramps from about 65 to 78 in about 15-20 mins (maybe 20?).

Roughly speaking. Element is mainly on, although a bunch of stuff including pump speed (determined by recirc rate) would influence this. Interesting though on what part of the system determines or influences ramp rate, and whether the coil is a big part of this......... but beyond my expertise. I just make beer with it and wait until its done.

There definitely are plenty of factors, the main ones I am trying to work out is the coil length (time that the wort is heating up) and 'hlt' volume (thermal mass) and of course how that effects my system.

Thanks for the times

A coil of a couple of metres is fine for a HEX volume of a couple of litres. More than a couple of litres with only a short coil means the heat doesn't get into the coil and you have some ramp rate and potential overshoot issues.

Latest posts

Back