4pines Kolsch

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was lucky enough to dine at Cafe Sydney last night for a work function - totally amazing view and must be said much the food did not match the view sadly.

They had 4 Pines Kolsch on the menu (in the bottle) ans so I ordered a round for 6 people in the party. When it arrived I was immeidiately disappointed - it poured flat absolutely no head yet the beer itself whilst under carbonated still had gass bubbles flowing up the glass. The nose was okay but quite sweet and then on the palate there was that Kolsch estery sweetness upfront that then disappeared fairly quickly replaced by a little bit of dirty bitterness which then dropped off to a lingering sugary slightly cloying unpleasant finish. Everyone at the table was having trouble finishing their glass. I gave up and ordered a Weihenstephan Lager and asked the waiter to take the rest of the Kolsch away. Shame.

Where is it being brewed? Anyone else tried the bottle version and had a similar experience or a much better experience??

Merc, why did you not complain of the poor quality of the beer and ask for replacements as you would do with a wine?

cheers

Browndog

Merc, why did you not complain of the poor quality of the beer and ask for replacements as you would do with a wine?

cheers

Browndog

I told the waiter that the beer was no good but didnt explain to him what the problem was, by that time I was just over 1/2 of the way through - I ordered another beer but as I didnt pay the bill I am not aware if that was a replacement or a paid for one. I was also with a bunch of new clients and didnt really want to go through the rigmaroll of getting a replacement. But you are correct I should have pointed out to the waiter that in my view the beers - all of them were of very poor quality and they should not be selling them.

I told the waiter that the beer was no good but didnt explain to him what the problem was, by that time I was just over 1/2 of the way through - I ordered another beer but as I didnt pay the bill I am not aware if that was a replacement or a paid for one. I was also with a bunch of new clients and didnt really want to go through the rigmaroll of getting a replacement. But you are correct I should have pointed out to the waiter that in my view the beers - all of them were of very poor quality and they should not be selling them.

Alright, next time rip into them or they won't learn.

I love 4 Pines would definitely rate the ESB over the Kolsch, they do seem to have consistency issues though IMO. Would definitely prefer a Nelsons Blood from the Lord Nelson though :eek:

Yes but - has anyone had the bottled version of the Kolsch and how was it. And where is it brewed as I wouldnt think they are bottling it themselves - It looked like it was pasturised as there was no trace of yeast in the bottle.

Sydneys Best?

I would say either Redoak Bitter or Rocks Byrnes Red Ale...

Yes but - has anyone had the bottled version of the Kolsch and how was it. And where is it brewed as I wouldnt think they are bottling it themselves - It looked like it was pasturised as there was no trace of yeast in the bottle.

I believe the bottled product is brewed @ William bull / De Bortoli.

Latest posts

Back