3944 Or S33 Does It Really Make A Difference?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renzo

Reaction score
Gday everyone,

Just wondering if it makes a noticeable difference using dry ( S33) or liquid yeast (Wyeast 3944) for a witbier that contains the usual coriander, citrus zest and other spices. I think it makes a difference in a hefe or a saison as those beers are totally yeast driven but a wit is spice driven. So should it really make a difference to the final overall flavour?

A big difference. S-33 is a clean, fairly neutral yeast, you won't get any of the flavours that 3944 will impart.

A big difference. S-33 is a clean, fairly neutral yeast, you won't get any of the flavours that 3944 will impart.

I thought most of the flavours in a wit are derived from the coriander, zest, chamomile etc etc? How much extra does the yeast actually add I wonder. I might do a split batch to see.

The belgian wit yeast gives a load of character all on its own. A split is a good idea, but I would suggest a three way; do a third beer with no spices and just the 3944 just to demonstrate what that strain brings to the table.

I thought most of the flavours in a wit are derived from the coriander, zest, chamomile etc etc? How much extra does the yeast actually add I wonder. I might do a split batch to see.

Nope, most of the flavours are not. If your wit 'tastes like' any of those spices, then you've gone OTT. Those spices are used to give subtle nuances to your well balanced and complex wit, not to base the flavour on. The defining flavour comes from... Well not the yeast either actually. It's about the way the malt, yeast and subtle spices work together (with a hint of hop bitterness to keep it all on the rails). So I'd say do the comparison, as it would be interesting, but if you're only doing one spend the extra few pennies, get a smack-pack of WY3944 and at least give yourself a fighting chance to make an accurate, enjoyable-to-drink representation of this really-hard-to-brew-just-right style.

Nope, most of the flavours are not. If your wit 'tastes like' any of those spices, then you've gone OTT. Those spices are used to give subtle nuances to your well balanced and complex wit, not to base the flavour on. The defining flavour comes from... Well not the yeast either actually. It's about the way the malt, yeast and subtle spices work together (with a hint of hop bitterness to keep it all on the rails). So I'd say do the comparison, as it would be interesting, but if you're only doing one spend the extra few pennies, get a smack-pack of WY3944 and at least give yourself a fighting chance to make an accurate, enjoyable-to-drink representation of this really-hard-to-brew-just-right style.

I might try the comparison with 3944 and then between WB06 & T58. Have you had any experience with either of those dry yeasts? Do they even come close to making something close to wit?

I might try the comparison with 3944 and then between WB06 & T58. Have you had any experience with either of those dry yeasts? Do they even come close to making something close to wit?
No, I haven't used either. I know which yeast I'd have my money on, but you don't know if you don't give it a shot right? That's part of the fun of it. Sometimes you can have all the correct components assembled just so and for whatever reason the beer doesn't work. Other times you'll make a beer that looks all wrong on paper but just works somehow. Not that I'm suggesting you adopt the "throw in anything and it'll work out... maybe" approach, but it can't hurt to experiment.

Whatever yeasts you test, make sure 3944 is one of them :icon_cheers:

No, I haven't used either. I know which yeast I'd have my money on, but you don't know if you don't give it a shot right? That's part of the fun of it. Sometimes you can have all the correct components assembled just so and for whatever reason the beer doesn't work. Other times you'll make a beer that looks all wrong on paper but just works somehow. Not that I'm suggesting you adopt the "throw in anything and it'll work out... maybe" approach, but it can't hurt to experiment.

Whatever yeasts you test, make sure 3944 is one of them :icon_cheers:

Definitely

I brewed a belgian dark strong with T58 at lowish temps to give some character but not heaps. It had a spicy/peppery quality, almost savoury. Not the typical fruit cake sort of yeast phenolics you get with belgians that I have tasted. It mellowed after 6 months in the keg and turned out quite nice but not really what I was looking for. I'm not even sure it is a belgian strain.

I have only used it once though, it could go well in a wit i guess but I wouldn't try .......and probably wont use it again.

Cheers mate.

Gday everyone,

Just wondering if it makes a noticeable difference using dry ( S33) or liquid yeast (Wyeast 3944) for a witbier that contains the usual coriander, citrus zest and other spices. I think it makes a difference in a hefe or a saison as those beers are totally yeast driven but a wit is spice driven. So should it really make a difference to the final overall flavour?

IMO I don't think you could brew a true to style witbier without W3944 (or White labs equivilent).

Latest posts

Back