32 Jet Mongolian Burner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have heard complaints that they put out a very sooty flame below maximum thrust. Please let us know how you find it.

Kirem,

I have one of those and i know for sure it will throw ALOT of soot when you first use it.

I think it was Asher who posted some photos to remove some of the jets and plug them with bolts.

Mine works fine now mainly because of the occasional boil-over that has filled some of the jets with burnt sugar.

They certinly put out heaps of heat that is well distributed across the kettle. They just don't turn down that well.

Time and soot will fix that though.

cheers

Darren

I read a about the experiences on here with the mongolian burner. I think Tony got his to work well.

Has anyone played around with different gas pressure? I have an adjustable regulator and I am going to give it a go to see if I can get it to work without mucking around without removing jets.

I know it is mainly sold as a low pressure burner, but I read somewhere that it works best at 5kPa which is outside the range of a standard LP regulator (2.75kPa)

I think yellow flame and soot means not enough air and unburnt fuel (carbon/soot) and I think the air is introduced on these at the jet, rather than mixed with LPG like the 'nasa' burner.

I eventually plan to cycle this burner on/off with a temp controller and re-ignitor to keep the wort at a rolling boil and try and reduce gas use.

I have the smaller one. the rambo burner that G&G sell and it boils 60 lites no problems.

I have to turn it down to near a yellow flame to stop it boiling dry in 30 minuites.

that monster would be good for a 200 liter kettle.

I have been thinking of removing a few jets to cool it down as at full flame the gas flames lick halfway up the kettle.

mine soots up but the soot is not a problem. it wipes off when i hose it while cleaning out the rig after brew day.

its not a problem.

how big a boil are you going

cheers

Are you guys running them on LPG or Nat gas???

mine is a 20 jet job and its more than enough.

most knock them but i love it.

It doesnt sound like a jet engine either, you can hold a conversation within 15 meters of it

cheers

Linz, LPG, there is a NG version with different size jets.

I will be running it under a 250L kettle.

Linz, LPG, there is a NG version with different size jets.
I will be running it under a 250L kettle.

It will be fine under 250 litre kettle. Might even need two :unsure:

cheers

Darren

Grain and Grape.

They sell the NASA as well, make sure you know what you want and why. I got this one as I am planning on using it on a 250L kettle. A 50L kettle is probably better suited to a NASA.

G'day Kirem,

I have a 32jet Mongolian on my big brewery at my folks place in the country. The kettle is 220L and I usually do boils of around 180-190L. Its more than enough for this size boil and heating times are pretty much equivalent, if not faster, than my 3 ring burner on 23L batches at home. Bloody amazing how much heat the thing puts out - it really roars!

Sooting is only a problem if you throttle back the gas. At full power there is no sooting at all. The bottom of my kettle is pretty sooty but geez, as long as its the outside of the kettle and not the inside I reckon I can live with it! :p

I'm sure you won't be disappointed mate. Be prepared to use around a full 9kg bottle of gas per brew though! :lol: ;)

Here is a pic of it in action...

32_Jet_Mongolian.jpg

G'day Kirem,

I have a 32jet Mongolian on my big brewery at my folks place in the country. The kettle is 220L and I usually do boils of around 180-190L. Its more than enough for this size boil and heating times are pretty much equivalent, if not faster, than my 3 ring burner on 23L batches at home. Bloody amazing how much heat the thing puts out - it really roars!

Sooting is only a problem if you throttle back the gas. At full power there is no sooting at all. The bottom of my kettle is pretty sooty but geez, as long as its the outside of the kettle and not the inside I reckon I can live with it! :p

I'm sure you won't be disappointed mate. Be prepared to use around a full 9kg bottle of gas per brew though! :lol: ;)

Here is a pic of it in action...
hi,
could you inform me of the time to boil the 200 litres of water.

thanks. alan

i use the 23 jet burner set at 70 mm below the lowest point in the kettel i only got a soot problem when i turned mine down low way low . if you smear the underside of you kettel with raw dishwashing liquid so it only has a film of detergent on it the soot falls off very easy.

also these burners need an up draft to gain a clean burn as well its not critical though they just burn cleaner when there is a slight up draft as they suck alot of air when fired. to acheive this try mounting it with smaller wind deflectors and have plenty of air space underneath. i have done this on my rig and all the tset burns and boils only produce a small amount of soot at fire up when turned down.

do not use a adjustable reg setup or a h/p reg on these they will blow them selves out and you cant control the flame.
my 23 jet will boil 40ltrs of water from 10 deg C to boil in 30 mins and thats a nice rolling boil.
i needed to do this to check all the valvles and fittings for a seal test and i needed a time frame to calculate a standing start to boil as well. very good performance and the heat out put on this burner is 95,000 btu. corrected the btu it was wrong .
but just remember they suck alot of air and they need it as well.
:beer:
del

hi,
could you inform me of the time to boil the 200 litres of water.

thanks. alan

I work off the rule of thumb of 1 degree per minute, but often its faster than that. I never actually heat from ambient temp to boiling. The sparge water (say ~100L) will easily heat to 80deg while the mash is under way. From memory it only takes ~40mins to heat the sparge water to 80deg.

do not use a adjustable reg setup or a h/p reg on these they will blow them selves out and you cant control the flame.
my 23 jet will boil 40ltrs of water from 10 deg C to boil in 30 mins and thats a nice rolling boil.
i needed to do this to check all the valvles and fittings for a seal test and i needed a time frame to calculate a standing start to boil as well. very good performance and the heat out put on this burner is 350,000 btu.

but just remember they suck alot of air and they need it as well.
:beer:
del

You must have a different burner. Mine is reliably rated at 103000 btu and is a 32 jet.

I was advised that an adjustable reg would be a good way to find what gas pressure works best, not necessarily in the HP realm but higher than a fixed 2.75kPa standard LPG regulator, somewhere around 5kPa. I guess I will find out.

TD the only reason i did the boil from ambiant was to water test the system but just timed it as well to see how long it would take out of intrest was very happy.

kirim not sure about the btu rating now you got me thinking and there was a sticker on mine red and white with a thermal rating unless it came off of another burner ?but i do stand corrected ther its 95,000 btu and the guys at grain and grape told me not to use a h/p reg or an adjustable reg only use a standard low pressure rg for best results. I did how ever put my adjustable reg on it and man it was to hard it kept blowing out and on the lowest setting it was like an uncontrolled rocket that was for the 23 jet burner.

try it buy all means you may have a different result but i could'nt be bothered with mucking about so left it as is.

del :beer:

TD the only reason i did the boil from ambiant was to water test the system but just timed it as well to see how long it would take out of intrest was very happy.

I did the same thing and I did write down the times (which is where I got the 1deg/minute figure from I think) but just can't be 100% certain of the times off the top of my head. The main thing I realised right away is that the 32 jet mongolian on the big system does around about the same, if not a bit better, job as my 3 ring does on my home system (~23L). Its more than enough to get the job done in my opinion. Lucky too because there aren't many burners that are much bigger in output (although some of the duckbills have more grunt I think).

By the way, G&G told me the 32 jet put out 300,000 BTUs (~300mj), but I have not seen them rated as high since by other gas suppliers. But that's not important anyway, as its more than enough for the job and that's all that matters.

Back