30th Birthday Beer Ideas?!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gout

Bentleigh Brau Haus
Reaction score
ok so the time is coming.... the dreaded 30th. I dont want a fuss but i would like to have a home brew to share with some friends and maybe age some and have a few stubbies each year.

I was thinking of brewing a b-day ale. something like a coopers vintage ale,/ JS amber ale or the likes. I have not been able to brew much this year due to being busy and working on the brew stand (and being lazy)

Does anyone have any ideas on a nice b-day ale worth brewing. i will brew 60lt, 40lt in kegs and 20lt in bottles. The date to drink will be 31st Aug.

yeast will be coopers or US ale 2/1 or whitbread... some base malts and cara etc (but can buy anything needed for the brew) hops, por, cascade, tett, amarillo, goldings etc.... i can age it in the fridge until the drinking time comes.

Ideas?
I would like a strongish ale 5-8% thats a nice balance of malt and hops. something special
love to brew it next weekend as i know time is getting tight.

edit : all grain, temp controlled fermenter, kegging, plate chilled, HERMS system (if any of that matters)

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...&recipe=997

You could play with the hopping schedule if you want a bit more bitterness or a bit more 'Americanness', hoppiness or whatever else.

Should age well with love, has been well received by other brewers here.
I'll vouch for this beer. It was beautiful.

As fir other recipes it depends in what u want to do. I'm making a few beers for the masses, a cyser and a Belgian. Ideally I'd have a beer that I brewed and aged for a year or more but I don't.

that does sound nice!

The beer wont be served mostly, but everyone keeps asking for a Homebrew for the 30th so some of my friends who are into beer but dont brew are looking forward to a 30th ale.

I have a coopers yeast building up so i might try make something along the lines of vintage ale/amber ale (when i say along the lines it might not taste like either but pointing in that area) I did save some notes from this forum on making a vintage ale like beer so i will have to dig them up.

The porter however will sit well for drinking in winter so i might give that a go also.

I have a coopers yeast building up so i might try make something along the lines of vintage ale/amber ale
This is Roller997's ringwood dark ale which was particularly delish. you could easily modify it to make it a bit more old/vintage ale like and use some coopers.

Im sure he wont mind me sharing the recipe

Type: All Grain
size: 45.00 L

Brewer: RolandBoil Size: 50.68 Taste Rating(out of 50): 45.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 66%

Ingredients
AmountItemType% or IBU3.00 kgJW Pilsner (3.1 EBC)Grain25.65 %3.00 kgPilsner (2 Row) Ger (3.9 EBC)Grain25.65 %2.00 kgMunich Malt (17.7 EBC)Grain17.10 %1.00 kgWheat Malt, Dark (17.7 EBC)Grain8.55 %0.62 kgBrown Malt (128.1 EBC)Grain5.30 %0.50 kgAmber Malt (43.3 EBC)Grain4.28 %0.50 kgCaramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (433.4 EBC)Grain4.28 %0.50 kgChocolate Malt (200.5 EBC)Grain4.28 %0.48 kgCaramunich Malt (110.3 EBC)Grain4.06 %0.10 kgBiscuit Malt (45.3 EBC)Grain0.86 %100.00 gmAmarillo Gold [8.40 %] (40 min)Hops39.2 IBU80.00 gmTettnang [4.10 %] (2 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)Hops- 24.00 gmPride of Ringwood [8.00 %] (2 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)Hops- 1 PkgsRingwood Ale (Wyeast Labs #1187)Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.051 SG

Measured Original Gravity: 1.051 SGEst Final Gravity: 1.015 SGMeasured Final Gravity: 1.013 SGEstimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.73 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.95 %Bitterness: 39.2 IBU Est Color: 44.0 EBC

Mash Profile
Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full BodyTotal Grain Weight: 11.69 kgSparge Water: 40.39 LGrain Temperature: 22.2 CSparge Temperature: 75.6 CTunTemperature: 22.2 CAdjust Temp for Equipment: FALSEMash PH: 5.4 PH
Single Infusion, Full BodyStep TimeNameDescriptionStep Temp70 minMash InAdd 22.00 L of water at 73.6 C65.0 C

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Dried Malt ExtractVolumes of CO2: 2.6Pressure/Weight: 407.5 gmCarbonation Used: 380Keg/Bottling Temperature: 15.6 CAge for: 28.0 daysStorage Temperature: 11.1 C
Notes

Added 190 grams of DME for bulk priming with <1 liter of boiling water 48 * 0.5 liters

that does sound nice!

The beer wont be served mostly, but everyone keeps asking for a Homebrew for the 30th so some of my friends who are into beer but dont brew are looking forward to a 30th ale.

I have a coopers yeast building up so i might try make something along the lines of vintage ale/amber ale (when i say along the lines it might not taste like either but pointing in that area) I did save some notes from this forum on making a vintage ale like beer so i will have to dig them up.

The porter however will sit well for drinking in winter so i might give that a go also.

If it's for a party, I reckon you want something a bit sessionable. APA, Amber Ale, ESB, porter, or an AIPA (getting a bit bitter, but I could still session it).

If it's for a party, I reckon you want something a bit sessionable. APA, Amber Ale, ESB, porter, or an AIPA (getting a bit bitter, but I could still session it).
yeah thats what i was trying to get at in my first post but was being lazy.

a special birthday beer is a good idea but not as your sole beer on offer. you probably want something more sessionable or generally consumable and then have something differant and a bit special or non-sessionable as the treat.

I threw down 7 kegs for my 30th a while back. The first to go were the APA and Pilsner, closely followed by the Porter, the Amber Ale, and the Heffe weisen. The ESB had a dodgy tap which slowed down consumption, and the second Amber was 9% (accidental extra kilo of malt from the LHBS) and was a reserve that didn't get cracked till 6am. Finished ~110L, was also an August B'day.

Moral of the story - It doesn't really matter what you brew, they'll love it, but a good sessionable beer is probably a good choice. I would have done two porters if I did it again. Tasted great in the cooler weather and went well with the mud cake.

Chris.

I threw down 7 kegs for my 30th a while back. The first to go were the APA and Pilsner, closely followed by the Porter, the Amber Ale, and the Heffe weisen. The ESB had a dodgy tap which slowed down consumption, and the second Amber was 9% (accidental extra kilo of malt from the LHBS) and was a reserve that didn't get cracked till 6am. Finished ~110L, was also an August B'day.

Moral of the story - It doesn't really matter what you brew, they'll love it, but a good sessionable beer is probably a good choice. I would have done two porters if I did it again. Tasted great in the cooler weather and went well with the mud cake.

Chris.
For our parties, SWMBO suggests to me "you should buy a slab, for the people who don't want to drink homebrew".
I never argue, it's always a good excuse to visit Dan Murphy's for some Euroswill.

sorry lads, i am not brewing for the masses infact we will just go out for dinner and then a pub for swill.

The beer i want to brew is for a select few beer lovers (eg wont be wasted) and the rest of the bottles i want to save to have at xmas and following b-days.

The idea of coopers vintage ale came about as i was going to buy a slab and age it but given the cost i thought i should brew something like it and age that

I will most likly only give 12-18 stubbies away to sample with the rest aged under the bed and a stubby coming out now and then (or if i get drunk and raid it :)

Latest posts

Back