3-way Taps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpiwek

Reaction score
Hi all, well Ive been going thru the gallery pics getting ideas for how Im going to setup my home brewery and realized how much more Ive got to go (and am also a little envious ;) ) but thats all the fun right!

After looking at countless pics of other breweries Ive noticed no one using taps like this:

3wayvalvue.jpg

It would be perfect for my next addition (after the RIMS process I just turn the tap the other way, : instead of wort going thru the RIMS it now travels to the boiler and start sparging)

Allot of pics Ive looked at seem to use tee pieces to connect two taps so you open one and close the other to change direction of flow

Im just curious why I havnt come across these types of taps in setups and more brewers using them. Are there any cons in using them for home breweries?

Hi all, well Ive been going thru the gallery pics getting ideas for how Im going to setup my home brewery and realized how much more Ive got to go (and am also a little envious ;) ) but that's all the fun right!

After looking at countless pics of other breweries Ive noticed no one using taps like this:

View attachment 12883

It would be perfect for my next addition (after the RIMS process I just turn the tap the other way, : instead of wort going thru the RIMS it now travels to the boiler and start sparging)

Allot of pics Ive looked at seem to use tee pieces to connect two taps so you open one and close the other to change direction of flow

Im just curious why I havnt come across these types of taps in setups and more brewers using them. Are there any cons in using them for home breweries?

G'day hefferflocken
I'm using one (after hearing about them on the site). FANTASTIC ! I will be using many more as I hard plumb my brewery in the future. By the time you ad tee fittings, threaded nipples for each standard ball valve you might as well cough up for a 3 way. They come configured either as a T or L valve meaning they can direct the flow through 2 ports only or all 3. I paid about $32 for mine.
Cheers
Doug

Hi all, well Ive been going thru the gallery pics getting ideas for how Im going to setup my home brewery and realized how much more Ive got to go (and am also a little envious ;) ) but thats all the fun right!

View attachment 12883

I use a 3 way tap maybe not the same one as that but it is used to divert water from the mash tun to the boil pot and also from the hlt to the mash tun with the help of a march pump.
They are well worth the money.

Doesn't look like these ones come to bits for cleaning ?

maybe you pump enough hot sanitiser through em? i would think this may be the same as cleaning out hoses?

My hoses are silicon, I can see thru them :D

Valid point Mika,
You can get them in a 3 piece Stainless but for me at the moment that is out of reach financially :)
No infections yet (touching my head firmly). :p
Cheers
Doug

I have silicon hose and mine is like a white cloudy colour...pretty far from clear, i cant see much through it.

And to stay on topic, I also would like 3 way ball valves, they seem to be harder to find than their simpler straight through cousins :)

just give em a blast with sanitiser, it's all pre-boil anyway, if yove got infection that can survive that, you need to look at other places than your tap ;)

any clues as to how these are used? I'm guessing the "in" hole is the one perpendicular to the other two, and then the valve can be set to closed, left or right?

any clues as to how these are used? I'm guessing the "in" hole is the one perpendicular to the other two, and then the valve can be set to closed, left or right?

Yep, thats my understanding but cant back it up for sure.

Yep, thats my understanding but cant back it up for sure.
I've got a couple of these (L config I think) that are surplus to requirements now. They are good quality ones - paid about $60 each for them. One has been used for about half a dozen brews, the other is unused.

I'd be happy to see them go to a good brewing home for a reasonable offer.

cheers, Arnie

Latest posts

Back