3-ring + Standard Reg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zagadka

Reaction score
Do you think I would require heat shielding below a 3-Ring burner with a standard reg?

The surface underneath will potentially be form ply.

Cheers,
Tim.

I would use cement sheet for a base over form ply .
Form ply still burns pretty readily and gives off some nasty chemicles when it does.
Concrete sheet is a lot more heat tolerant but be aware when you apply alot of heat directly to it it will explode like concrete.

I use my 3 ring burner and standard regulator under my kettle. It's sitting on a piece of MDF. I shield it with a sheet of aluminium bought from Bunnings.
Seems to do the job so far over many brewing sessions. Without it, the MDF showed scorch marks.

I also use a 3 ring burner and an adjustable medium regulator under my HLT. It's sitting on a thick piece of MDF on a metal shelf. The MDF is shielded by a sheet of aluminium, and it works fine.

The answer to your question is that you will need some form of heat shielding, whether it's a cement sheet or a reflective matal sheet.

I made the mistake of not shielding under my 3 ring when I first bought it. Burned a hole right through an MDF benchtop and caused awkward questions about safety to be asked by my swmbo.

But I have been running it for the past three years on a milkcrate - which has remained unmelted due to a couple of ceramic tiles between it and the burner. Just make sure there is something fireproof between the burner and the ply and you should be OK.

I use my pizza/bread oven stone :eek:

I sit my 4 ring on bricks. Bricks sit on concrete.

Concrete shows no sign of noticing.

Back