3 piece ball valve leak

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blitzer

Reaction score
So I was going to brew this morning, last night I dissembled and put back together my ball valve for the second time.
This time I have put it together at first it appeared to be leaking out the end, so I tried to redo it, now it seems to be leaking at the two end connectors or where they meet the plastic bit surrounding the ball in the middle..

WIsh I had more technical terms to describe the problem :) But does anyone have any tips or tricks with leaking valves or assembling them?

Try some keg lube or another food grade lube (KY Jelly (not kidding)) on the end-plates thinggies (also not technotalk)

I have one of these and have never disassembled it...used for at least 50+ batches so far and just flush it with a hose when cleaning the keggle...Im sure its pretty dirty inside, but the passing of hort wort through it seems to kill any bugs it may harbour. Was thinking about pulling it apart, but after reading this I dont think I will bother

Not all 3 piece ball valves are the same.

Some have a single washer either side of the ball valve, others have two piece washers either side of the ball valve.

If yours is one of the latter, are you sure you have the washer in the correct orientation?

I have one of those, and dissemble it after every brew. Never leaks after reassembly.

One other thing, make sure you finger tighten the 4 bolts first and make sure you have all components square. Only then gently tighten with your spanner. Don't over tighten, there's no need.

Edit: Sticky fingers and spelling.

Latest posts

Back