3 Beers to put down (suggestions welcome)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slcmorro

87 Warning Points. Bad Boy!
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm planning on doing a bit of a brew up mid week, and getting down three brews. Here's a list of my ingredients on hand, and below is my planned methods and reasoning. Please feel free to add suggestions, but keep in mind I'm not keen on purchasing anything additional to the list below.

Ingredients:

Goop
Coopers Mexican Cerveza 1.7kg
Coopers Real Ale 1.7kg
Cascade Spicy Ghost Draught 1.7kg

Hops
110gm of Cascade
110gm of Calypso
70gm of Nelson Sauv

Grains
250gm cracked Crystal
250gm cracked Caramunich

Fermentables
1 x BE2 (1kg pack)
500gm Light Wheat Malt
500ml Liquid Wheat Malt
Unlimited amounts of Dextrose

Yeasts
Champagne Yeast
Danstar Munich
Saflager W-34/70
US-05

I'm planning on doing this...

1 - Cerveza + BE2 + 500gm of Dextrose + 40gm of Calypso steeped and added to wort, using Saflager W-34/70 fermented at 16c

2 - Real Ale + 500gm of Light Wheat Malt + 750gm of Dextrose + 125gm of Caramunich and 125gm of Crystal (steeped in a bag for 1 hr at 68c in the usual fashion) + 20gm of Cascade + US05 fermented at 16c + dry hopped with 15gm of Nelson Sauv after racking to secondary

3 - Ghost Draught + 500ml Liquid Wheat Malt + 1kg Dextrose + 125gm of Caramunich and 125gm of Crystal (steeped in a bag for 1 hr at 68c in the usual fashion) + 20gm of Nelson Sauv + 15gm of Cascade both steeped and added to wort + US05 fermented at 16c and rack to secondary.

Explanation behind my recipes

Overall, I'm after a bit more punchiness in terms of alcohol content in these brews, hence the larger amounts of fermentables.

(1) - The missus wants a type of Corona clone (god knows why), and I want something that I can drink also (best of both worlds I guess), hence my reasoning for the addition of hops to the beer. The Calypso will hopefully give it a bit of a fruity addition plus some bitterness, so that it doesn't taste like water.

(2) - I had a bit of a poke around the kit Fat Yak clone threads, and found bits and pieces of what I do and don't like. I think the addition of wheat malt topped with some grain should make for a decent beer. I'll rack to secondary on this one, because I want to make sure it's as clear as I can get. The hop combination as I have read works well, but I am still experimenting with hops at this stage.

(3) - This was an impulse buy at the LHBS. I was toying with the idea of throwing in a few cracked coriander seeds to up the spiciness, but I just don't know. Not something I've tried before.Again, the grains (although only a small amount) I'm hoping will make a bit of a difference to the feel and head of the beer, along with the Liquid Malt and the Dextrose, I imagine this one is going to be a kick in the pants. As with number 2, I'm still experimenting with hops here.

Helpful ideas, thoughts, suggestions and comments are welcome! :)

Clay. lf your keen on making a fat yak clone but need a recipe. come round to my place and l'll give 1 of my beers l made. lf you like lt. l'll give you my recipe

Might take you up on that offer Dave! PM me your details please mate :)

I'm after a Fat Yakkish type clone. Something similar.

Been doing a bit more reading... seems the Spicy Ghost is pretty ordinary at best, in most opinions. Sigh... might have to buy some more stuff to mask the shittiness.

So for anyone reading this, I put down two of the three today. I'll put down the other one after I get back from Vietnam in early July.

I changed my original plans a little as you can see...

Mexican Cerveza

Made to 23L
25gm of Calypso for 20 mins
10gm of Calypso for 10 mins
1.25 kg of Dextrose
1.7kg Mexican Cerveza Tin
O.G. 1041
Est F.G. 1006
Est 5.0% ALCVOL

Ghost Draught

Made to 20L
23gm of Cascade for 20 mins