2row Pale Malt 50lb Sack $20.80

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freezkat

Reaction score
2row pale malt 50LB (22.7Kg) sack $20.80USD at my local elevator

Your dollar is doing better than ours 1 USD to .956 Australian = $19.86

$0.875 per Kg

How does that compare?

How does that compare?
'Bulk' retail prices for local malt (25kg bags) is about double that, and imported malts about three times.
However, buying in smaller quantities (single bags 25kg bags) is about 3 to 5 times more expensive than you're paying.

You also pay significantly less for your beer too.

'Bulk' retail prices for local malt (25kg bags) is about double that, and imported malts about three times.
However, buying in smaller quantities (single bags 25kg bags) is about 3 to 5 times more expensive than you're paying.

You also pay significantly less for your beer too.

If I bought from my local HBS it would be $36/50LB

I pay $1000 month for health insurance to cover wife 2 kids and me. Does that equal out?

Your dollar is doing better than ours 1 USD to .956 Australian = $19.86

$0.875 per Kg

How does that compare?

You sure that is malted and not just grain? Elevators are not usually in the malting business. Also lots of different 2 row grain. Not all are best for brewing.

You sure that is malted and not just grain? Elevators are not usually in the malting business. Also lots of different 2 row grain. Not all are best for brewing.

Yep they had to special order it from their seed distributor

Yep they had to special order it from their seed distributor

You can get grain for brewing beer from seed distributors that need to make special orders?

I wish I knew that before I ordered some floor malted English malts from a home brew shop that have it in stock at all times (i.e. didn't make a special order)...

Link please...or I will continue to think of you in the same light as our media casts upon Americans.

I pay $1000 month for health insurance to cover wife 2 kids and me. Does that equal out?

We pay more like $50-$60 a week for same and of course Medicare pays for a fair chunk of a visit to the quack.

Need to be sure its malted 2 row... and not malting 2 row ;)

As far as i am aware the American Health system is very different to the Aussie system. Aussie also pay a medicare levi as well as their health insurance and I am pretty sure that people here are not aware of every option available in both countries to comment any further. Therefore, one can not compare oranges with apples. 2 different systems and 2 different economies.

$1000 a month?

I could drink only Belgian Ales for that, then have a Heat Attack like a Monk and get the valves done free. :D

You can get grain for brewing beer from seed distributors that need to make special orders?

I wish I knew that before I ordered some floor malted English malts from a home brew shop that have it in stock at all times (i.e. didn't make a special order)...

Link please...or I will continue to think of you in the same light as our media casts upon Americans.

what's the skepticism for?

http://www.petersonscountrymill.com/products.htm

It's a grain feed mill/elevator. Why would I lie about something like that? They don't actually mill grain. They store and sell it. They don't normally carry malt but they have access to it. I can't get any specialty grain through them. Just plain old 2 and 6 row. My local homebrew shop is an hour away. We've known these people for as long as they have been in business. I just asked on a whim one day. As a good retailer they'll sell anything.

Malting Grain...Is that like "HD Ready TV"? It wont actually receive HD but it has connectors for an adapter.

Oh tell your lovely media outlets to take a great big suck out of my ass.

Malting Grain...Is that like "HD Ready TV"? It wont actually receive HD but it has connectors for an adapter.

Its the seeds that grow into the grain that can be malted. Or its the grain that can be malted... but isn't

Anyway, if its is 2row pale ale malt, that's an awesome price :) congrats :)

Maybe you could make some of your own specialty malts by extra toasting the grain?

Shit day at the office Phil?

Give these communist pricks time I'm sure we'll be there too!!!

Cheers

Paul (Guess which side of politics I sit?)

Comparing the US healthcare system to a not really communist one over here, I'd suggest the stupid side.

what's the skepticism for?

http://www.petersonscountrymill.com/products.htm

It's a grain feed mill/elevator. Why would I lie about something like that? They don't actually mill grain. They store and sell it. They don't normally carry malt but they have access to it. I can't get any specialty grain through them. Just plain old 2 and 6 row. My local homebrew shop is an hour away. We've known these people for as long as they have been in business. I just asked on a whim one day. As a good retailer they'll sell anything.

Oh tell your lovely media outlets to take a great big suck out of my ass.

Sorry mate,

Looks like I came into this thread with the wrong attitude. Hope whatever you get from these guys turns out great for you.

Cheers

We used to be able to buy direct from the maltster for ~$16/25kg.

THEN, someone aka Wes Smith and his mate Phil Yates stopped these buys buy offering all HB purchases through Maltcraft.

Nowdays some other individuals on this forum run similar "standover man" operations on both malt and hops.

Try and figure this. German malt that has traveled 4000km halfway around the world is $65/25kg whilst malt grown and malted in our own backyard is now ~$50/25kg.

If I were to send 25kg of malt to another state in Australia (~800km) it would cost me ~$100 in freight.

The numbers dont add up.

tnd

PS: The way this liarbor govt is going, we will also be paying exorbident hospital fees or there wont actually any operational hospitals to go to

there isnt any hospital to go to. Well not on medicare and it was like that before they got in. Meet a guy in cairns that had a broken jaw in 4 places and they told him to go home and come back in about 3 days as that was there expected time to fit him in next. Now I never had a broken jaw but I am sure its not the most pleasant thing. Also read in the paper that the ambulances where used as beds for up to 4 hours till they could find beds for the people in them.

Seen about the same all over Australia maybe not that bad but not to far from it

Couple of years ago I got sick, drove myself to hospital, 7 days later I left, total bill $1.50 for parking and the parking attendant apologised said he had to charge for 1 hour or the gate wouldnt open.
We live in an incredibly good place, not without its faults and things that couldnt be improved but for god sake its a great country.
And yes Im proud to be both an Aussie and a crusty old lefty
Can we go back to talking about beer now?
Mark

Sorry mate,

Looks like I came into this thread with the wrong attitude. Hope whatever you get from these guys turns out great for you.

Cheers

no worries mate

You gave me a perfect excuse to use my favorite phrase of all time, which made my week.

The reason for this thread was a little bit of bragging but also to receive some of the cautions as listed above. Like I may have bought seeds unsuitable for brewing. For less than $21 It wouldn't be the worst mistake I've made. I'll just plant it then. I live on a farm.

Cheers

Bob

farm.JPG

Back